No Prayer for the Dying could have been Amazing

I think most of musical changes on that album are Steve's choice. For the very first time, they had a year off, which he spent mostly editing Maiden England, a long and painful process. At the begining of the year, they gathered, and he was so excited that he wanted more spontaneity, to write and record quickly. And No Prayer is the result. I don't think he had long term plans; it is just a parenthesis. At the time, I would have loved them to continue along the way they had traced with SiT and SS, and to go even further, to become a kind of progressive metal band, but I think No Prayer is the result of a kind of introspection on the history of a band that had become a huge machine, and wanted to come back to simpler stuff. Quite respectable I think.

Last edited:
No, I dont think Bruce's vocals make the album any worse. they fit very well, and Maiden wanted to do something slighty different from the last two albums. maybe also a bit inspired by GNR at the time, they had more "real life" lyrics, attitude and won over many rock'n roll fans that had craved for some "real music" for years.

The main reason why NPFTD didn't sell so well were the times of the heavy metal scene (people were either listening to heavier bands, or glam metal bands) and no single-material songs. But I believe it sold pretty good and charted high in Europe, where the concert attendantes were still as high as in the 80's.

Last edited:
Bring youg daughter to the slaughter?

Yeah, I'm not convinced by the 'family friendly' argument. I wouldn't classify Assassin/Run Silent/Public Enema/Bring your Daughter etc...as fitting that mold.

I don't think the shift was calculated by trends or other bands (Maiden have always had a tenuous relationship with GnR so I doubt that was it) - I think it was just what they came up with at the time. Based on the interviews, it just seemed like Steve was just getting a bit tired of the fantasy quasi prog-metal thing and wanted to strip things down both on the album and the stage, and he already had some ideas to fit that sound. Seems like bands have a tendency to simplify several albums into their career to 're-connect with their roots' (Maiden isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last, to do that).

NPFTD actually sold fine - it went gold in the states (same as Seventh Son), charted well in Europe, and they still did their normal global arena tour. I even remember the seatbelt commercials they did for that era...

I'm not convinced either by the "writing the album for their children" argument, that makes no sense. But of course the period was a turning point for the band, they weren't the young in their twenties, sacrificing everything to be successful kids anymore. By the time of No Prayer most of them were in their early to mid 30s, so of course establishing a family, getting kids, having to provide etc did make a significant change within the band...No doubt about it. Also, them getting older part may answer for the more personal and social lyrics raised in the songs....Instead of the, as soundwave puts it, fantasy quasi-metal....

And let's not forget that Bring Your Daughter wasn't originally meant to be a Maiden song, but a tongue in cheek horror movie song for a Nightmare on Elm Street soundtrack.

It's been about 25 years since I've since the Holy Smoke video, but I remember the band playing toy guitars in kiddy pools with some young children in the video. As for metal music this album is really tame and much closer to a mainstream rock band's output than earlier Maiden albums. Megadeth's Rust in Peace was released around the same time and it had a much more intense metal feel than NPFTD. Therefore, contrary opinions still don't sway me from the belief that its a family friendly Maiden offering. The Assassin's lyrics (while talking about killing someone) really aren't that intense and the presentation is kinda humorous. You could've played all of No Prayer's songs on public radio and there would've been virtually no outcry. Even Bring You Daughter to the Slaughter is tame enough to be played on the radio, heck Aerosmith might've had more controversial songs on the radio at that time. Public Enema No 1 has nothing which would bring out the pitchforks...as enema's an even tamer word than crap. Run Silent Run Deep is far less offensive than Run to the Hills (which still makes occasional appearances on public radio today) and really is its subject matter any harder hitting than BOC's Don't Fear the Reaper or Godzilla?

I usually do my best to see the other side of the argument, and I'm respectful of the fact that we're all fans of Maiden (at the end of the day, we're all on the same team here even if we disagree), but I really just can't see the family argument thing @Moribund. I mean...it's still death and destruction per usual:

"They can pin some medal on your chest
But in two more weeks - dead like the rest"
or
"Your children have more brains
Than your drug infested remains"

If anything, you could argue that the 'social/grounded commentary' aspect makes it more gritty than the fantasy stuff of the 80s (at least you could say that the 80s lyrics are nerdy escapism whereas the social commentary of the 90s is trying to paint a bleak picture of reality). The Holy Smoke video is just the band taking the piss on that particular video...we could also say that Can I Play with Madness is purposely cheeky, as is Number of the Beast (the infamous cheesy dancers/ dance mask scene). That doesn't lessen the impact of those actual records.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

I will agree that NPFTD is more accessible to conventional rock fans overall - it didn't have the proggy twists and turns of the last few records, and it certainly didn't have the Lord of the Rings style storytelling of SSOASS.

Last edited:
No Prayer For The Dying is not in my top five list but it is a very good album. I thought the raspy singing worked on some songs but it didn't on others. Fates Warning is a great song and its reminicent of Dave and Steve's songs on the reunion albums. My favorite songs are Bring Your Daughter....to the Slaughter, Public Enema Number One. No Prayer For The Dying, Holy Smoke, and Tailgunner. Mother Russia, Run Silent Run Deep and Fates Warning are also great songs. Hooks In You is good but it would have been much better if Adrian played on it because he co-wrote it. I don't understand why they don't do it live with either Adrian doing the solo or Adrian and Janick doing a double solo like The Trooper or The Evil That Men So. I don't care for The Assassin at all. It sounds like 1990's Nintendo Game music. No Prayer is a very good album but it would have been a lot better if either Adrian was on it and co-wrote more songs or if Janick co-wrote some songs for the album.

Back