Most Overrated Maiden Song

The Apparition is a masterpiece and I will not hear otherwise. :mad:
I actually don't understand all the hate that "The Apparition" gets. I wouldn't rate it among Maiden's best, but it's still a very good song!

"Run to the Hills" is by far the most overrated. It's not a bad song by any means, but it's not that great either. It's actually frustratingly simple and a bit repetitive. Maiden had already done better even by 1982's standards (just take a look at "Children of the Damned", "The Prisoner" and "22 Acacia Avenue" again. Heck, maybe even "Gangland"!). Most overrated Maiden song by a long shot.

I actually don't understand all the hate that "The Apparition" gets. I wouldn't rate it among Maiden's best, but it's still a very good song!

"Run to the Hills" is by far the most overrated. It's not a bad song by any means, but it's not that great either. It's actually frustratingly simple and a bit repetitive. Maiden had already done better even by 1982's standards (just take a look at "Children of the Damned", "The Prisoner" and "22 Acacia Avenue" again. Heck, maybe even "Gangland"!). Most overrated Maiden song by a long shot.
Right when I was gonna send you a :) for The Apparition's defense, you attack Run to the Hills. *sigh*

Right when I was gonna send you a :) for The Apparition's defense, you attack Run to the Hills. *sigh*
Sorry. :p

But it's not like I hate "Run to the Hills". I actually like it a lot, it features the band's trademark galloping style, the lyrics are awesome, and it holds a special place in my heart (nostalgia's a bitch :D). I just think it's overrated 'cause Maiden have done better, that's all!

nostalgia's a bitch :D
Lol, yeah that's how I feel a lot of times. :D

Also, while we're on this, I might as well bring up Hallowed Be Thy Name and Phantom of the Opera. Both of these are great songs, but I think they've been exalted a bit too much. And I don't mean they aren't awesome songs, because they are; Phantom is in my Top 40 and Hallowed in my Top 20 of overall Maiden. That said, they aren't the greatest songs Maiden have ever done. I see them more as necessary steps in their progression to masters of songwriting, Phantom being their first epic and Hallowed being their best showcase of their prowess by 1982. Phantom and Hallowed set the scene and paved the way for the two epics that I feel deserve the acclaim the previous two have received: Rime of the Ancient Mariner of 1984, in which taking a poem and adapted it into lyrics and then giving it music with a bunch of tempo changes proved they were the greatest metal band ever, and then years later Empire of the Clouds, which proved that 18 minutes of zeppelins is too short. These are the two I think have become overshadowed by Phantom and Hallowed, and I understand the love of those two, but I think their masterworks are the latter two I've brought up.

Again, not to say Hallowed and Phantom aren't awesome, 'cuz they are, just I'm surprised they're that popular. Also, Rime and Empire aren't my favorite Maiden songs, just really up there to be clear. This is also completely off the cuff and stuff and I have Queensryche playing in the background so I'm sure this post could use a bit of cleaning up here and there but yeah.

"For the Greater Good of God" and "Sign of the Cross" (there is enough in them to make brilliant 4-5 minute songs, unfortunately, they are twice as long)

For crying out loud, why??
Well, if you look at it on a deeper level, there's just something in the recurring persistence of its irregular riff over and over, the overly happy feeling of euphoria throughout the song, and that staggering rhythm, that make it the best prosody of depicting a dream (or nightmare in this case) that I've ever heard. Much more so than the usual psychedelic jumble :D that musicians usually resort to. The familiar cliche of the guitar solos that try to lull you into the "happy" atmosphere, but you can just feel something sinister and menacing behind it all.
Bruce seems really inspired, especially in the intro (after repeating it for 4 hours :confused:), and that SCREAM :scared:
Lyrics are not bad either
It's a great song, one of Steve's triumphs, equal to Rime or 7th Son in my opinion

Last edited:
I have a few - though they're probably not counted amongst Maiden's absolute best, I find they're still ranked too high usually.

Remember Tomorrow - this song is so, so boring. The only chords in the verses, E and F, are just one semi-tone apart, and the vocal line constantly hovers around these two as well, so there's very little happening here. I don't find the middle section that interesting either, but I welcome the change of pace.

Wasted Years - I used to love it when I first heard it many years ago, but nowadays, compared to the rest of Maiden's catalogue, it's just not that strong. It's not a bad song, mind you, but I won't put it higher than average.

I'm not that fond of Run to the Hills either :)

Remember Tomorrow - this song is so, so boring. The only chords in the verses, E and F, are just one semi-tone apart, and the vocal line constantly hovers around these two as well, so there's very little happening here. I don't find the middle section that interesting either, but I welcome the change of pace.
Thank god someone else understands this.

Paschendale. What a discombobulated mess of a song this is. The plaintive opening is nice, but the verse sucks and the strings don't fit, and the bridge and chorus are just OK. At least they got the war epic right on the next album with "The Longest Day".

Fear of The Dark without shadow of doubt. Hallowed Be Thy Name, 2 Minutes To Midnight, Brave New World and Ghost Of The Navigator are also a bit overrated but nothing compared to FOTD. Then there's Wasting Love....

Back