Most Overrated Maiden Song

A

Anonymous

Im asking what you think is the most overrated Maiden song, mine is Where Eagles Dare, on a personal note i think the song is a bit long for an album opener, the drums are overrated, and for such a powerful song the lyrics are quite weak.

[!--QuoteBegin-Damon+Dec 24 2005, 02:19 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Damon @ Dec 24 2005, 02:19 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Im asking what you think is the most overrated Maiden song, mine is Where Eagles Dare, on a personal note i think the song is a bit long for an album opener, the drums are overrated, and for such a powerful song the lyrics are quite weak.
[snapback]125746[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I would have to disagree with you here. WED is a great opener for many reasons.

On topic, the most overrated Maiden song has to be "Run to the Hills". It's famous with fans outside of metal circles and "untr00" fans think it's great. It's very boring and despite the great galloping rhythm, it gets old after listening to it hundreds of times. Another overrated song is "Can I play with Madness". It's radio friendly but really gets on my nerves after a few listens.

i have to say this, though most of you will kill me but for me it´s paschendale.

i think it´s a great song and all that stuff but it just don´t hit me..:S

Reactions: Jer
Well, since i'm bored and the best coffee in the world (The secret is to grind it from beans, not crap. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) is at my disposal. I should voice my opinion.

I think the most overrated song is Number Of The Beast, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the song, I just cant listen to it for more than one listen at a time. You guys will probably disagree with me..

Probably Can I play With Madness or Number of the Beast, I never really rated either of them, If the Number Of the Beast album, had a different title, and the song had a different intro, i don't think you would hear it so often.

Im gonna say Pachendale or The Number Of The Beast, I usually skip over those songs on their respective albums, most people love em though.

Run To The Hills in my book. I'm not saying it's a bad song. It can certainly get me out of my reserves occasionally and it's really a good piece of music, but it certainly is not the great masterpiece people always make it.

Now that's a difficult question. Maybe "Alexander The Great" because everyone asks for it for the last 19/20 years and the band never played it. Just kidding. [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

In my humble opinion I think there is no single Maiden song overrated. However, there are many songs, which have been played too often and which could be "kicked out" of the setlist for the next couple of tours.

I would go for "Run To The Hills", "The Number Of The Beast" and even "Fear Of The Dark."

"The Trooper" and "Hallowed Be They Name" are also often played, but I happen to like these songs a lot, so I don't have any problems with them.

I want to see AtG live before Maiden disbands. Steve says it's the best song they've never done live, they have the guitars they need...let's do it.

I think the most overrated songs are Run to the Hills, Wrathchild, and anything from Seventh Son.

as before, I have to ask: overrated by whom?

By outsiders, non-hardcore, non-metal fans? Well, I'm not sure what those people like but expect the only songs by Iron Maiden they are likely to have heard are Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, Can I play with madness, and maybe Bring your daughter. Of these, I think Bring your daughter is by far the worse though I suspect no one rates that song very highly so it can't exactly be overrated. CIPWM is, I grant, a pretty crappy song that does appear to be popular among lukewarm metal fans. Between the other two, I agree with others that neither deserves to be counted among Maiden's best tracks. They are both good, but not great and they don't deserve their fame.

By members of this forum? "Educated Fool." I can't stand that song but it has a pretty fucking high rating on this board. I still can't figure out why!

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Dec 26 2005, 01:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Dec 26 2005, 01:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
I think the most overrated songs are ... anything from Seventh Son.
[snapback]125866[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&:eek:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ohmy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ohmy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I confess I was like you once. Back in '88 when I first bought 7th son on vinyl, I didn't think much of it -- I just couldn't get into the synthesizers.

But 17 years later I now think it is one of their best albums! CIPWM is a crappy radio-friendly song, and The Prophecy is a crappy non-radio friendly song. The spoken section on the title track sounds like Spinal Tap, but the rest of the album is so good that it more than makes up for these low points. The production is fantastic! It has such a rich and full sound. Great riffs, catchy choruses on OTGDY and TETMD and incredible musicianship on Infinite Dreams and the last 5 minutes of the title track (after the spoken section). This is a truly great album; definately in the top-3!

Though I love RTTH,methinks it's ovverrated. It won't be played after the tour for the new album,I believe.

This topic is slightly flawed because so far nearly everyone has said Run To The Hills, so maybe it's not rated as highly as everyone thinks!?!

[!--QuoteBegin-national acrobat+Jan 1 2006, 10:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Jan 1 2006, 10:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This topic is slightly flawed because so far nearly everyone has said Run To The Hills, so maybe it's not rated as highly as everyone thinks!?!
[snapback]126189[/snapback]​
[/quote]
People are wondering who are these songs overated by, and what is the basis for this topic, i understood it straight away. Iron Maiden Fans! is the answer, how many times have come away from a gig and said i wish they had played a certain song. But when thay have been at the gig they have sung along to RTTH or NOB and thought why don't they play something different to these songs, but in your own mind, You know that these songs just can't be left out.

The Ides Of March.
While I like Maiden's other instrumentals, TIOM is just plain booooooring.

Honorable mention: Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter.

I'd have to say Run to the Hills or Number of the Beast. I never really got into either songs.

Blood Brothers. Not Good not Bad just cant see what the big deal is.

I think there is a difference between overrated and overplayed that some people are mistaking, many songs such as the Trooper, NOTB, Run to the hills and in my opinion 2 Minutes to Midnight, were good when I first heard these songs but overplay has made me sick of them.

Most likely, Paschendale. To me it sounds quite average, the condor's call was really cheesy, and the guitar riff during the condor call sounded like it was stolen from Metallica's Orion.

I can understand why everyone is saying that 'Run to the Hills' is overrated but I love it and it's one of my favourite Maiden songs. I think that possibly 'Futureal' is overrated and certainly 'Infinite Dreams' which I don't quite get the appeal of.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Jan 26 2006, 06:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Jan 26 2006, 06:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think that possibly 'Futureal' is overrated and certainly 'Infinite Dreams' which I don't quite get the appeal of.
[snapback]127821[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Futureal and Infinite Dreams are not ovverated. I think they never get any recognition at all, and they are two great songs.

Futureal is a nice 3 minute rocker and it's only purpose is to get your headbanging. It's great at that but it doesn't have deep lyrics or great verses or structure.

Infinite Dreams is rarely talked about but I think that the variety in the song is great from the soft intro to the great vocals and catchy riffs. Not overrated in anybody's books.

Back