Most Overrated Maiden Song

'Run To The Hills' and 'The Number of the Beast' are what you think of when somebody mentions Iron Maiden. They're great at concerts, and they're Maiden classics that will always be played at concerts. They're those essential songs that they just have to play (well, the don't have to, but it's tradition by now).

As for my opinion, I don't know if you can really have an "overrated" song. On the albums, I guess songs like RTTH and NOTB. Other than those, there aren't really any songs that people are like "OMG th4t song rox!!!111!!!" 'Can I Play With Madness' isn't really a song people seem to like much (I mean generally like in non-hardcore Maiden fans), so you can't really call it overrated.

PASCHENDALE! I HATE this song!! someone could explain me why there are so many guys who like it?? However I'm a big maidenfan! I like almost all of the other songs of maiden but Paschendale is one of the few I hate. For me some things don't work in that song: bad intro bad chorus, no feeling, no soul, boring..Dance of death (title song) is better and I prefer it. Someone think the same as me?

Reactions: Jer
Pineapple Hunter said:
I think the most overrated song is Number Of The Beast, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the song, I just cant listen to it for more than one listen at a time. You guys will probably disagree with me..

I hold with you.I wish they would finally cease playing it live.

metalmaniac666 said:
'Run To The Hills' and 'The Number of the Beast' are what you think of when somebody mentions Iron Maiden. They're great at concerts, and they're Maiden classics that will always be played at concerts. They're those essential songs that they just have to play (well, the don't have to, but it's tradition by now).

That's when I start getting bored in a Maiden show.Luckily they don't appear until the end.I really can do without them these days.I'm fully aware of them being classics, yet there are so much far better songs they could play.

hollow head said:
Someone think the same as me?
If the question is "do you think Dance of Death is better than Paschendale?", then yes - I agree. But if it is "do you hate Paschendale?", then you'll find few (if any) takers. I'll admit, it did take me a while to get into Paschendale - so give it time (time you should have already had).

hollow head said:
PASCHENDALE! I HATE this song!! someone could explain me why there are so many guys who like it?? However I'm a big maidenfan! I like almost all of the other songs of maiden but Paschendale is one of the few I hate. For me some things don't work in that song: bad intro bad chorus, no feeling, no soul, boring..Dance of death (title song) is better and I prefer it. Someone think the same as me?

No. However, I do prefer Dance of Death to Paschendale. When I first heard it, it reminded me of a computer game sound track, and I had to force myself to continue listening. But when it got to the lyrics I was swept away, and today Paschendale is one of my favorites, maybe not exactly for the actual song (as in melody and all that), but definitely for the amazing lyrics, which are sung so full of emotion (at least in the live version) that it sends shivers down my spine. The mood that is evoked by these lyrics just blows my mind, and the seriousness of the themes adressed stimulates me intellectually. I'll tell you a song I find boring: Stranger in a Strange Land.

hollow head said:
Seriously man,  I know people are allowed to have their own opinions but wtf??? :huh:  Bad intro?  The intro which is so sad and grabs your heart from the very beginning,  feeling pity for "the lonely soldier"?  Bad chorus?  Definetly not,  although much better live I have to admit...  No feeling,  soul????  It's the only song Maiden have done,  that when I'm listenig to,  I'm tranfered into the heart of that battle,  feeling afraid,  ready to shed a tear or two...  Oh it definetly has feeling.  Best song Maiden have done ever...  They have done other songs that take me to different places,  but this is the best one.

hollow head said:

WHATTTTTTT????  I usually don't comment on best of/worst of threads as I'm still new to Maiden, but seriously how the HELL can you say that the song has no emotion?????  Just listen to it.  Better yet read a bit about the battle of Passchendaele, and you'll see why this following makes perfect sense:

SneakySneaky said:
It's the only song Maiden have done,  that when I'm listenig to,  I'm tranfered into the heart of that battle,  feeling afraid,  ready to shed a tear or two...  Oh it definetly has feeling.  Best song Maiden have done ever...  They have done other songs that take me to different places,  but this is the best one.

quote author=macunaima link=topic=11195.msg126029#msg126029 date=1135874696]
as before, I have to ask:  overrated by whom?

By members of this forum? "Educated Fool."  I can't stand that song but it has a pretty fucking high rating on this board.  I still can't figure out why!
[/quote]

I'll tell you only briefly why this song is great, IMHO.  Have you ever been in school and wonder why the hell do I need to learn this?  How will this help me in my life?  How is it practical?  And then you experience a real life situation where you are lost because you don't know how to handle it, yet you feel that somewhere down the road with all your life's experiences you should be able to do this thing you can't.  That's why.  It is so true and it happens all the time.

Since I'm relatively new and don't listen to radio or know many people that talk about IM outside this BB, I can only use concert experiences to tell you my most overrated songs. 
1)  Iron Maiden -- it is way too typical of metal bands to make songs as this.  For a song with lyrics, it has the shortest ones, are least impressive IMHO and yet the song is played all the time.  I don't get it.
2)  Run to the Hills -- if I had to pick one IM song that everybody and their mother has heard it is this one.  There was one time at an IM concert, when my friends and I passed a car multiple times with a bunch of kids (teens/early twenties) sitting on the hood of that car.  Guess what song they were playing each and every time... even after the concert was over.  I don't get it.  It almost seems like some people go to concerts to hear only one or two songs.  I love listening to this song, but it is overplayed and overrated compared to other material Maiden has.

I'm not sure I agree that Run to the hills is overrated. Overplayed, but it's still a good song that most people enjoy hearing if it's not done too often. I'm gonna stick my head in the noose here and say Seventh son of a seventh son. I love most of Maidens long songs but this one gets...well, boring. There are some great songs on the album, like Infinite dreams, Moonchild and a few others, but SSOASS is the song  where I turn off the cd player. It's the same with Blood Brothers, but since SSOASS seems to be rated higher, that's the one I believe is overrated.

About Futureal - as someone said earlier, it's a great rocker that does what it's supposed to do, get your blood pumping in just over 3 minutes. I love it :ok:

Dance of Death.  They named an entire album after that song, and it is hard to take the song seriously.  The song reminds me too much of the "Stonehenge" scene from Spinal Tap, particularly the bridge at 2:59, when I can see in my mind's eye dwarves in funny costumes dancing around the stage. 

hollow head said:

Now now everyone, Hollow said "I HATE" and "For me". It is an opinion plain and simple.  Although I disagree with said opinion.  Back on topic, my vote would go to RTTH.  I greatly enjoy the song, but I think that it recieves too much praise from some Maiden fans.

I would have to go with 'Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter'.  It is probably one of the only songs that non-Maidenfans know to any degree (aside from the other 'classics'), and I personally don't see its appeal.  It's very good live, but the studio version lacks the qualities that makes The Trooper or The Evil That Men Do 'Classic' singles.

Where Eagles Dare is pretty overrated.  I've never been an avid listener of drums, and many people seem to praise the drumwork on this song most. 

Heaven Can Wait, I'm not sure if it's overrated, but it's never really caught me in the same way as so many other Maiden songs.

Be Quick or Be Dead, it's a simple song and I've never really loved it.  I think Bruce's singing is really rock-bottom here.  Again, not sure if it's overrated or not.  Bring Your Daughter, same reason.

Remember, these are my opinions.

Back