Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Okay, so I've got a chance of part time work, fingers crossed. The downside, apart from it being minimum wage, is it's nothing whatsoever to do with journalism or media, and likely to mean I'll be seen as having left the industry. Employers don't like that, they think it means you lack commitment. I'd probably need retraining and work experience placements if I wanted to get back in.

Okay, so I've got a chance of part time work, fingers crossed. The downside, apart from it being minimum wage, is it's nothing whatsoever to do with journalism or media, and likely to mean I'll be seen as having left the industry. Employers don't like that, they think it means you lack commitment. I'd probably need retraining and work experience placements if I wanted to get back in.

Work is work, so hopefully it all goes well for you! Not sure how it is where you are, but every job I've ever worked that doesn't fit my focus just gets left off the resume. I have 3 radically different resumes depending on what kind of job I'm applying for.

There's a silly school task that I need your help with. I need to interview three Americans and the only ones I know are on this forum. I would appreciate it if someone took the time to answer these.

1) Americans are... finicky
2) They like... opportunity
3) They don't really like... taxes
4) They act... as they wish
5) Most Americans believe in... liberty
6) The US is a country where... anything is possible with work and smarts
7) The average American is... well off
8) Americans today are worried about... the future
9) The most important thing in life to most Americans is... football (not soccer, but football)

Work is work, so hopefully it all goes well for you! Not sure how it is where you are, but every job I've ever worked that doesn't fit my focus just gets left off the resume. I have 3 radically different resumes depending on what kind of job I'm applying for.
Most job applications Ive done in recent years are online form based, and they ask for work history in chronological order, questioning gaps in employment. Not a system I like, I'd far rather do a CV and covering letter. Online forms make it easier for recruiters to sift through applications at speed.

Most job applications Ive done in recent years are online form based, and they ask for work history in chronological order, questioning gaps in employment. Not a system I like, I'd far rather do a CV and covering letter. Online forms make it easier for recruiters to sift through applications at speed.

I see what you're saying, those online forms are certainly not ideal. I guess I'm lucky in that regard that I can explain any gap in employment with freelance work - be it work from home or music gigs.

Have you thought about writing on your own, running a blog or anything like that, just to fill the gap?

Good luck with the new job, Brig. Is it okay if I ask what you're going to do?
I see what you're saying, those online forms are certainly not ideal. I guess I'm lucky in that regard that I can explain any gap in employment with freelance work - be it work from home or music gigs.
Have you thought about writing on your own, running a blog or anything like that, just to fill the gap?

Cheers all! I'd rather not say too much about the job because it's far from being in the bag yet, but its working for a company that makes wargames stuff. As those of you who know me on FB know, I have a sideline in model making and figure painting, so there might be something to explore in that.

I could do a blog, LC, that's not a bad idea. Tbh, I could set up my own local news site quite easily, but it's almost a 24/7 job for potentially no financial gain, and could actually get physically as well as legally dangerous when I live 'on the patch'! I'm still not sure I'd get back into regional news journalism as they often ask for marketing type web audience engagement skills now.

Back