Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I just took a look at the American states and their capitals and maaaaaan, so many bigger cities that are not the capitals. I knew this for some, but it's the case in most. Interesting.

It tells you a bit about the historical development of these states. In many cases, the capitals were not smaller than other towns in the states when the state was founded, but the historical development took unanticipated turns in terms of population distributions.

Almost as if the locations of the most important towns (capitals) were founded on the "wrong" locations. ;)

Any states with change of capital, or is America's history too short for that?

Almost as if the locations of the most important towns (capitals) were founded on the "wrong" locations. ;)

I guess it's just that they made sense at the time of foundation. Nobody could foresee the rise of the Detroit automotive industry in Michigan in 1837, for instance. Let's also not forget that the US was founded on the idea that anyone anywhere could make it - not just a member of the social elite in the capitals. That's the reason why many historical capitals in Europe are also by far the largest cities in the countries. So the city sizes in America are much more a result of chance than in many other areas in the world.

Any states with change of capital, or is America's history too short for that?

None that I'm aware of.

Funny story from my trip to Manchester. On the metro from Old Trafford to the city centre an hour after the match vs Arsenal, a couple of guys started a sing-song in our carriage. For fun, they decided that we should leave out the swear words. Then started singing one of the chants with the highest number of curses in the Manchester United fan songbook :D

Pretty hilarious having a whole carriage full of people singing loudly, then shutting up completely whenever a swear word would appear!

A good friend of my dad's hit a deer on his motorcycle today. He's alive, but it's a close run thing. It's not been a good day here.

Sorry to hear that. Deer are a menace to all drivers. They are a major problem in my brother's neighborhood, and he is scared to death of hitting one when driving at night. And that's in a car. A motorcycle really ups the danger level.

Deer (and Elk for that matter) are really scary. I was driving in Colorado once at night ... down one stretch of road all you could see were eyes on the side of the road. That made for some really slow driving.

Deer (and Elk for that matter) are really scary. I was driving in Colorado once at night ... down one stretch of road all you could see were eyes on the side of the road. That made for some really slow driving.

The only animal whose main method of fear mongering is to hurl their own mortality at your 2 ton vehicle.

Apparently the deer hit him, and the bike landed on top of him. He's paralyzed from the waist down.

Yeah, it's better than the alternative, I guess. He's still critical, so things could still go wrong. It just stinks.

Back