Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

1465998-3-kramerica-industries.jpg

I guess I just assume everyone on here's American until it registers with me that they're not... Where are you from then (and where are you now)?

You'll find this board is full of surprises, then. :p

I'm from and in Berlin, Germany. Spent a lot of my life abroad, though, in various places in Germany, Pakistan and Canada.

You've been here?
What brought me abroad was mostly my dad's job when I was a kid. He worked for a major multinational corporation. Right now I'm finishing my MA degree in Iranian Studies and hope to catch a PhD scholarship some time next year.

I spent a couple of days sightseeing in Berlin in '94, then a few more days looking specifically at buildings in 2002 (I think). I saw a great concert at the Berlin Philharmonic, a great building with a great sound.

Iranian Studies sounds very interesting. Good luck catching that scholarship!

I can't remember, it was over a decade ago... It was a piece by one of the Strausses, I remember that! Anyway, Hans Scharoun designed some good places in your home city. The library is also awesome.

I'm torn on him. I spend a lot of time in that library, and I like it a lot. And the Philharmonic is a masterpiece, no doubt. But I'm not so fond of his housing architecture. Much of it is misplaced and messes up the local cityscape.

I don't know anything about his housing. Any streets/addresses/place names that you're thinking of? It'd be good to get your info as a native rather than Google...

Well, have a great weekend everyone. I'm going to London.

Have fun!

I don't know anything about his housing. Any streets/addresses/place names that you're thinking of? It'd be good to get your info as a native rather than Google...

Well, the Mehringplatz for example.

20798010,16340661,highRes,TUNNEL.jpg

I admit it's unique and it must have seemed extremely modern in the 1960s, but it seems much more antiquated now than my building, which was built in 1903.

I see what you mean. In the '60s, in the race to forget the recent past, we forget too much of the not-too-recent past as well. Lots of similar housing in the UK is being re-evaluated now though, being refurbished and attracting residents.

That's happening here too, slowly. The downside is of course rising rents. Berlin is still cheap by German standards, but it's getting harder and harder to find affordable flats here.

Back