Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Meh, I like those circled songs. They're not metal but I'll take them over most new metal that gets played on FM radio anyway (Sixx AM, Slipknot, Trapt etc). Plus it looks like that station has some nice classic rock pics, love the Van Halen, Ozzy, and Scorps picks. That new Slash is pretty cool too.
The problem is that these stations are supposed to be hard rock/metal and none of those 4 bands are any that. I'd much rather see those 4 bands not played and have bands like Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Iced Earth, and Nightwish put in their place. Those are SO MUCH better than all the non-hard rock crap radio does play and truly deserve to be heard.

A blonde driving a car became lost in a snowstorm. She didn't panic however, because she remembered what her dad had once told her. "If you ever get stuck in a snowstorm, just wait for a snow plow to come by and follow it." Sure enough, pretty soon a snow plow came by, and she started to follow it. She followed the plow for about forty-five minutes. Finally the driver of the truck got out and asked her what she was doing. And she explained that her dad had told her if she ever got stuck in a snow storm, to follow a plow. The driver nodded and said,
"Well, I'm done with the Wal-Mart parking lot, do you want to follow me over to Best Buy now?"

I'm so sorry for your loss Saap. :( I wish you and your family the best during this difficult time.

The problem is that these stations are supposed to be hard rock/metal and none of those 4 bands are any that. I'd much rather see those 4 bands not played and have bands like Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Iced Earth, and Nightwish put in their place.
Those have never been radio friendly bands. You're expecting too much out of these stations.

Very sorry to hear that Saap. My condolences towards all those affected.

Call me crazy, but I think Nightwish could seriously become a mainstream powerhouse on the levels of Maiden and Priest. Their sound is very appealing to even non-metal fans.

Very sorry to hear that Saap. My condolences towards all those affected.

Call me crazy, but I think Nightwish could seriously become a mainstream powerhouse on the levels of Maiden and Priest. Their sound is very appealing to even non-metal fans.

Weren't they already a mainstream and international powerhouse from like the late 90s to about 2003-04? I mean back when similar stuff like Evanescence - Bring Me Back To Life was also a smash hit?
When I think of Nightwish and Evanescence I think of gaming videos from the early 00's...they already had a lot of popularly, also outside metal circles because their music was so broad.

Also, the idea that Nightwish has ever/or could ever be on the same level as Maiden and Priest....:facepalm:

Last edited:
I think it was more stuff like Korn, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot back then.

I know it's crazy talk, but they have the same sort of accessibility that those bands do, whilst offering a different approach to it. Problem is that the mainstream is beyond fucked at the moment.

Ehh, no you're wrong. Nu-metal broke through around the mid to late 90s with Korn releasing 4 of their most acclaimed albums before the year 2000. Same with Limp Bizkit who released their best two albums before the year 2000. In the early 2000's you had Nightwish, Linkin Park and Evanescence all taking over. They were some of the big bands of that era.

Last edited:
Korn and Limp Bizkit were earlier than Slipknot, that's correct, but those bands were still popular in the 2000's.

What I'm trying to say is that Nightwish has a sound that can appeal to a lot of people, even non-metal fans being that symphonic and power metal are often classified as the lightest kinds of metal. There's no chance a band like, for example, Carcass, would get that popularity, but Nightwish has the potential to still do it.

Ehh, no you're wrong. Nu-metal broke through around the mid to late 90s with Korn releasing 4 of their most acclaimed albums before the year 2000. Same with Limp Bizkit who released their best two albums before the year 2000. In the early 2000's you had Nightwish, Linkin Park and Evanescence all taking over. They were some of the big bands of that era.
This is the first time I've ever seen Nightwish lumped in with Linkin Park and Evanescence. I'm honestly shocked that anyone could think they're even remotely similar. And nu metal stayed popular really until the mid 00s. I remember Slipknot and Korn were still churning out hits as late as 2008. Linkin Park came later but I think they're still part of that "nu metal" camp.

Korn and Limp Bizkit were earlier than Slipknot, that's correct, but those bands were still popular in the 2000's.

What I'm trying to say is that Nightwish has a sound that can appeal to a lot of people, even non-metal fans being that symphonic and power metal are often classified as the lightest kinds of metal. There's no chance a band like, for example, Carcass, would get that popularity, but Nightwish has the potential to still do it.

Yes they were still popular but they weren't the "new thing" anymore...Chocolate Star Fish or Untouchables weren't the big albums of the 2000's. Other groups had taken that place. So no it was not " more stuff like Korn, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot back then" like you said in your first post ;).

I agree with your second point. They've ALWAYS had this sound though and the question is if they can repeat the popularity they had in the early 2000's now.... That's the big question...because back then bands with operatic female singers like Nightwish, like Evanescence etc actually was something new!

They aren't similar in style, but Nightwish, Linkin Park and Evanescence were all really popular at the same time about 10 years ago, here at least. System Of A Down too.

This is the first time I've ever seen Nightwish lumped in with Linkin Park and Evanescence. I'm honestly shocked that anyone could think they're even remotely similar. And nu metal stayed popular really until the mid 00s. I remember Slipknot and Korn were still churning out hits as late as 2008. Linkin Park came later but I think they're still part of that "nu metal" camp.

I didn't necessarily say they sounded the same, I said they experienced fame at the same time. Yes...nu-metal groups had somewhat popularity into the 2000s...but they peaked well before that and other bands rised to fame as the nu-metal bands faded out, Nightwish, Evanescence, Linking Park, System of a Down (like NP says) etc.

Maybe, but they didn't hit nearly as hard as LP or Evanescence, nor did they come from the same movement. I know they did Eurovision and had a hit album, but I really doubt you could find a Nightwish song that's even close to as well known as one of LP or Evanescnce's big hits. Or many people who even know the band outside of the Metal community, for that matter.

I'm kind of 50/50 on Mosh's thoughts. I certainly wouldn't lump Nightwish with those bands (for one thing, they're much better :)) because of their varying genres, but then again, Nightwish sometimes get lumped with that stereotypical musical style that those bands represent (Youtube videos made by 13 year olds)

Maybe, but they didn't hit nearly as hard as LP or Evanescence, nor did they come from the same movement. I know they did Eurovision and had a hit album, but I really doubt you could find a Nightwish song that's even close to as well known as one of LP or Evanescnce's big hits. Or many people who even know the band outside of the Metal community, for that matter.
True, but for USA. Much different here in Europe, Nightwish is one of the biggest metal bands here.

Nightwish never had that ONE big break through single like Evanescence had with "Bring Me To Life" but it's pretty clear that they tried their best...so no perhaps they didn't quite make it into the big BIG mainstream league, eventhough they tried their hardest..but they are definitely second tier. And back in the early 2000s they were very VERY popular with both metal, Gothic, rock and pop listeners...They were also huge around the gaming scene I remember with songs like Wish I Had An Angel!

I'm kind of 50/50 on Mosh's thoughts. I certainly wouldn't lump Nightwish with those bands (for one thing, they're much better :)) because of their varying genres, but then again, Nightwish sometimes get lumped with that stereotypical musical style that those bands represent (Youtube videos made by 13 year olds)
I think the biggest difference is that those types of fans only make a small part of the band's demographic, whereas it's almost the majority for those other bands.

True, but for USA. Much different here in Europe, Nightwish is one of the biggest metal bands here.
On the levels of Evanescence or Linkin Park? (i.e. even people who aren't really fans of Metal know/like them)

On the levels of Evanescence or Linkin Park? (i.e. even people who aren't really fans of Metal know/like them)

Yes, no doubt! Many people knew them for certain songs because of Tarja especially in the gaming scene. You gotta remember having singers like Tarja sing stuff like that was new back then...

Back