Judas Priest

Re Setlist changes:
Now we’re talking! It’s just a couple changes but it goes a long way to making me more interested in seeing this tour (thinking of going to the last NY stop). Crown of Horns is a great pick and more than I expected from the new album at least at this early stage.

Hasn’t Sword of Damocles been played before? I could’ve sworn it was thrown into the setlist late in the Redeemer tour or even the Firepower tour. Either way it’s a great pick and cool to see them willing to dig into recent albums, not just the classics.

More setlist changes for the 3rd show of the tour:

Live debuts of - Crown Of Horns (sounds nice live) and Sword Of Damocles! Finally, this is one of my favorites from ROS album. A surprise for sure. It's a specific live song though.

They also played Sinner and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise.

I didn't expect the changes to start so soon. Kudos.

Sinner??? Quite probably my favourite Judas Priest song! Thinking again about seeing them in London next week!

And also Glenn in the video at the back on stage, playing the solo Richie is playing!
And that's why Priest will never be as big as Maiden: they lack professionalism at all levels.

I wouldn't call this unprofessional. Some of those solos are among the best and most iconic in metal, I think it's only fitting to pay tribute to the man who wrote them.

Rob's claim of being the first metal band to release albums 50 years apart is showing some poetic licence, or at least "metal" is doing the heavy lifting. Purple have released 2 albums more than 50 years after their debut, and even Uriah Heep, from the same fuckin' bill! have released their first in 1970 and a new one in 2023.

Rob's claim of being the first metal band to release albums 50 years apart is showing some poetic licence, or at least "metal" is doing the heavy lifting. Purple have released 2 albums more than 50 years after their debut, and even Uriah Heep, from the same fuckin' bill! have released their first in 1970 and a new one in 2023.

I don’t consider either Deep Purple or Uriah Heep as metal, and I don’t think they do either. Both bands have metal moments, but they’re really hard rock.

The real first heavy metal band is Black Sabbath. And, in some way, Blue Cheer. That's it.

I don’t consider either Deep Purple or Uriah Heep as metal, and I don’t think they do either. Both bands have metal moments, but they’re really hard rock.

Fact is they were called heavy metal when their albums were out, with the exception of the pre In Rock Purple albums.

If we keep redefining metal, it wont be long before Priest themselves are redfined. In Rock and Machine Head are much heavier, and better than Rocka Rolla. Ditto Gypsy

Fact is they were called heavy metal when their albums were out, with the exception of the pre In Rock Purple albums.

If we keep redefining metal, it wont be long before Priest themselves are redfined. In Rock and Machine Head are much heavier, and better than Rocka Rolla. Ditto Gypsy
Exactly. I'd even say that Deep Purple (and to some extent Uriah Heep) are more important for heavy metal than Sabbath (which I love the most of the three bands).

While Sabbath's music was absolutely heavy and groundbreaking, Purple were heavy AND fast. Sure, maybe not as heavy as Black Sabbath, but heavy metal isn't just about heaviness. It's about melodies and speed too. Look at Mercyful Fate and Iron Maiden, one of the most definitive heavy metal bands. They're not direct heirs to Sabbath, but to Heep and Purple (and in Mercy's case, Priest). The high vocals, the fast tempos, the bass lines... In Rock is where it all began. So is Demons & Wizards, Very 'Eavy, and some other LPs. Sabbath weren't heavy metal until Heaven and Hell, when Dio's presence allowed Iommi to try some new things. They were a very experimental band, they were a doom/stoner metal band, but not a heavy metal band. Of course, they did write some songs that can easily be considered heavy metal (such as Killing Yourself to Live), but most of their classic tracks are the ultimate stoner/doom songs. And then you have Accept, who didn't sound like Sabbath at all, more like a mix of Priest and AC/DC. On the other hand, bands such as the iconic Pentagram, were never ashamed of their Black Sabbath obsession and had very little to do with other early 70s bands.

I'd say that heavy metal as a real, standalone genre started in 1977 with Rainbow's Rising and Priest's Sin After Sin. Nowadays calling the Mk. II records heavy metal may sound controversial, but they were crucial to the evolution of heavy metal, and it's hard to imagine how the metal scene would have looked today if there had been no Highway Star, Easy Livin', or Fireball.

Back