Judas Priest Studio Album Survivor: Painkiller wins !

Satisfied?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll take Out in the Cold over anything on POE. I prefer the title track and Locked In over a lot of POE as well. Unfortunately, the rest of the album sucks. POE as a whole is more consistent.

That said, I think Ram It Down is far worse than either album.

Hehe, well, now that is an album full of contrasts. The majority (a way bigger majority than POE) I find good to awesome. But I won't shoot all my bolt just now. ;)

I dunno, for as often as I've heard it (one of my first Priest albums), I only really like the title track and Blood Red Skies.

Full of contrasts, yes. Pretty awesome, yes. A lead-up to Painkiller, yes.

I've always seen "Ram It Down" as a mixture of "Turbo" and "Painkiller". It really sounds like a bridge between those two albums. It's generally heavier than it's predecessor, but it's lighter than it's successor. :)

I definitely agree with that. I always thought the title track sounded like a proto-Painkiller.

Painkiller is just on another level quality wise though. The difference between that and Ram It Down is like day and night.

I've always seen "Ram It Down" as a mixture of "Turbo" and "Painkiller". It really sounds like a bridge between those two albums. It's generally heavier than it's predecessor, but it's lighter than it's successor. :)

To be honest, I believe Ram it Down was their first truly heavy album. Fast solos and drum beats, high vocals etc. It was cheesy, true, but Ram it Down helped Painkiller come to life. That's where they found the bullseye of their heaviness.

Now that you mention it, there do seem to be Turbo elements in RiD as well.

I think Priest had plenty of "heavy" albums before Ram It Down. After all, they were already Metal Gods for 8 years at that point. ;)

As for Turbo elements in RID, did you know that those two albums were written at the same time? It was meant to be a double album, with one disc showcasing their heavy side and one showcasing their commercial side. Unfortunately, the label wasn't having that.

I think Priest had plenty of "heavy" albums before Ram It Down. After all, they were already Metal Gods for 8 years at that point. ;)

Surely they were always heavy but on a lower level, so to say.

As for Turbo elements in RID, did you know that those two albums were written at the same time? It was meant to be a double album, with one disc showcasing their heavy side and one showcasing their commercial side. Unfortunately, the label wasn't having that.

I didn't know that.

But to think that after Defenders it went downhill A LOT for Priest (in terms of musical quality) and then rose to the top just yo fall down again. But I think they've been great after Halford came back.

Things like Stained Class and Sad Wings were some of the heaviest music avaliable at the time, so you can't really compare the heaviness in this way.

Now that you mention it, there do seem to be Turbo elements in RiD as well.

Yep. To me, the glam/pop metal that is a hallmark of the "Turbo" album, still exists in trace elements on RiD. The title track is a good example. It's faster and rawer than anything on the previous album, but it retains the silly lyrical slant, and lighter sonic qualities. This is especially evident during the "shout it out, we're all together now" bridge. It definitely lacks the darker, more intense sonics found on it's successor's title track. And several other examples exist on the album, of songs that are heavier than "Turbo", but lighter than "Painkiller". It absolutely is like a mixture of those two albums to me.

I did know that, yep! ;) They originally wanted to make a double album called "Twin Turbos", with one album showcasing a more mainstream, poppier sound, whilst the other would be harder and heavier. The label shut the idea down, but the heavier portion of the planned double album eventually became "Ram It Down". :)

I dunno why record companies are so against the idea of double albums. It's also a fact that Helloween wanted to release "Keeper Of The 7 Keys" as a double album, but the record company rejected their idea, so they ended up having to release two separate albums a year apart.

Things like Stained Class and Sad Wings were some of the heaviest music avaliable at the time, so you can't really compare the heaviness in this way.

Absolutely. By today's standards, those albums aren't particularly heavy. But I can only imagine what it must have been like to hear songs like "Tyrant" or "Exicter" back when they were originally released in the mid-70's. They would have sounded super-fast and heavy as hell back then!

Ram It Down has awesome lyrics! :p

I dunno why record companies are so against the idea of double albums. It's also a fact that Helloween wanted to release "Keeper Of The 7 Keys" as a double album, but the record company rejected their idea, so they ended up having to release two separate albums a year apart.
Money. They cost more to make and are risky sells. Things like concept albums and double albums weren't as much of a dirty word in the 70's, so it was more common and labels were usually okay with it because the albums sold.

Absolutely. By today's standards, those albums aren't particularly heavy. But I can only imagine what it must have been like to hear songs like "Tyrant" or "Exicter" back when they were originally released in the mid-70's. They would have sounded super-fast and heavy as hell back then!
Right. When using a term like "heavy", you have to use it relative to the time period you're in.

ATTENTION:
Tiebreak:
Please mention in this topic which album is your least favourite of:
1. Point of Entry (1981)
2. Turbo (1986)

I will let this run for two days (1 pm, my local time), unless there's a clear reason to deviate from this scheme (earlier if there's an upcoming outcome that I don't expect to change; later if I have not much time).

Thanks for your cooperation! (now I only hope that everyone notices this, I wish I had a "tag everybody who voted in this topic"-option. ;)

I vote for:
Point of Entry (1981)

@Mosh
@mckindog
@Night Prowler
@Sara
@Collin
@Stardust
@Cosmiceddie
@The Flash
@Unknown One
@Whooten

Last edited:
Take your time, or take a listen. ;-)
Or else -if not much time- focus on what you like best from both and on what you like worst of both, and make up the balance.

Not sure if this was a good idea. If not enough people will compete, because they miss this, I could make a new poll after all (same goes for Rush topic). Now let's wait and see.

I think it is better to open a new poll. Its easier for people to just casually vote in a poll, not everyone will take the time to come in and type a reply. Maybe you'll only get response from those who follow the survivor closely but not the rest...and the results may be skewed..

Least fave of those is Turbo

If people notice this they will reply. And if they notice this and don't want to reply, then that's not my problem. The thing is, I hope they notice.
Next time I will make another topic, but for now I'll tag some people.

Back