Iron Maiden survey!

1. I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks after the announcement, I think
2. I was interested to hear more. I might have shared it on FB for the benefit of a couple of other Maiden fans I know who aren't on this forum. I already followed Maiden on FB, but I don't often use Twitter or follow people on Youtube.
3. Speed of Light was quite cleverly done. It had lots of references for longer term fans to spot, but seemed aimed at a younger audience overall, with a slightly retro feel.
4. The game was briefly a bit of fun that I played a few times, and tied in quite well with the SoL video. IMO it would have worked a lot better if they'd brought out Legacy of the Beast with the launch of the SoL video, offering short preview clips of a couple of the new songs. The game had no bearing on my preordering the album.
5. I considered ordering a second copy for the Bruce Air competition, but then got picked in the fan club lottery to go on the trip anyway!
6. I thought the campaign felt rushed, and was fully expecting more hints, mini-previews or a bigger, more sophisticated promotion campaign on the whole - but given that Bruce was recovering from illness it made sense that they just wanted to get on with the release

1. Did you pre-order the album after the announcement in June 2015
Yes

2. What were your thoughts on the 27 second video posted in July with a short clip of on of their new songs? Did this encourage you to share the video, subscribe to them on YouTube etc? Did it make you more excited for the release?
It got me quite pumped for the new album. I shared it on my Facebook page for sure.

3. What were your thoughts on the Speed of Light music video and the re-launch of their Youtube channel? Did this encourage you to vote in the video tournament on their Twitter and official website?
I thought it was one of their best videos ever. I didn't know they re-launched their channel though nor did I know about the tournament.

4. What were your thoughts on the Speed of Light video game? Was this a clever idea? Did this encourage you pre-order the album?
I didn't play it.

5. Did you pre-order the album via Amazon for the chance to be flown to Paris by Bruce Dickinson to visit the studio the album was recorded in? Did this opportunity encourage you to pre-order it? Did it encourage you to pre-order a second copy to perhaps give as a gift?
I did pre-order the album, but it was just to get a copy of the album.

6. What did you think of the campaign overall and the build up to the album release?
I thought it was pretty good. However, I wish we had been given at least another song to hear before the release and audio samples of the album.

1. Did you pre-order the album after the announcement in June 2015.

No - when it involves my favorite bands, I buy records the 'old fashioned way' (going to a record store on release day).

2. What were your thoughts on the 27 second video posted in July with a short clip of on of their new songs? Did this encourage you to share the video, subscribe to them on YouTube etc? Did it make you more excited for the release?

Loved the clip - no one else in my circle of friends likes Maiden so I had no desire to share it.

3. What were your thoughts on the Speed of Light music video and the re-launch of their Youtube channel? Did this encourage you to vote in the video tournament on their Twitter and official website?

Great video. Had no interest in voting though.

4. What were your thoughts on the Speed of Light video game? Was this a clever idea? Did this encourage you pre-order the album?

It's a cool idea, but that wouldn't make buy a record.

5. Did you pre-order the album via Amazon for the chance to be flown to Paris by Bruce Dickinson to visit the studio the album was recorded in? Did this opportunity encourage you to pre-order it? Did it encourage you to pre-order a second copy to perhaps give as a gift?

Didn't pre-order. It sounded cool, but that didn't align with my real world logistics (no way I could have worked that out with work and family commitments).

6. What did you think of the campaign overall and the build up to the album release?

I thought it was good...would have preferred one more tune and some studio footage.

Last edited:
1. Did you pre-order the album after the announcement in June 2015?
I did not pre-order because I didn't want to wait a second longer than necessary to hear it. I downloaded it from iTunes at about 6am

2. What were your thoughts on the 27 second video posted in July with a short clip of on of their new songs?

I was excited and played it several times.
Did this encourage you to share the video, subscribe to them on YouTube etc?
No.
Did it make you more excited for the release?
No, I was excited enough already

3. What were your thoughts on the Speed of Light music video and the re-launch of their Youtube channel?
Video was cool and even though the song was a bit disappointing I watched several times.
Did this encourage you to vote in the video tournament on their Twitter and official website?
no

Did not know there was a separate game apart from Legacy of the Beast. Had no impact on getting the album.

No, no, no

Had no impact on me. All I needed was one line telling me what day the album was being released. The rest is/was noise.

No. I thought there was no risk of the album being sold out, so I didn't rush for it. Oh, and I wanted to wait for the information about the limited edition, which came pretty late as far as I remember.

Got me excited simply because that was the first snippet of new music. I don't think it was a good promo material, though. It was a pretty random, roughly cut piece of a song with a very simplistic graphic added... Something more creative would be cool, especially since they had the video coming. (I was already subscribed to the channel at that point.)

The video was very cool, I liked it a lot. Haven't noticed any major changes in the channel itself. They re-uploaded the videos, right? Well, I thought they were already on the channel... Didn't take part in the tournament.

Very clever given the theme of the video. It was actually a well done mini-game too. No way it would change my mind about the pre-order, though.

Nope. I knew nothing about any pre-order contests, but I don't think I would take part, because I usually think I wouldn't win anyway.

I don't feel the campaign was huge, but as a hardcore fan I didn't need one nor did I pay much attention to it. The fanbase hyped itself, so on a personal level the build up was huge, but had nothing to do with the album's marketing.

Yes. Immediately!
I was very excited, yes and yes.
It was an awesome video. I would have had I heard of it.
I haven't played it.
Yes, yes and no.
I never payed much attention apart from the video releases. I was already excited so I didn't need to become any more excited.

You're goddamn right I did.

It was neat, but I think I only listened to it once. I wanted to remain spoiler-free.

Video was fine, funnily enough Iron Maiden on YouTube is not a destination for me. I avoided the tournament.

I think I played it once. Maybe it helped, but not with me. My preorder was as soon as they were available.

No.

Considering the campaign fairly consisted of "Bruce has cancer" I can't say I loved it. But as for the rest of it, I can honestly say it kept the hype going fairly heavily, and there was a consistent ramp up.

Hey, Hannah - next time you want info like this, use a Google Form. They're free and you will get results back from multiple posts in the same location.

Back