IRON MAIDEN STUDIO ALBUM COVERS SURVIVOR 2015: Results -> Somewhere In Time wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I gave SSOASS a vote and I think it should have more. Derek Riggs himself said he wanted to paint less of Eddie, and it shows, it's a little thrown together.

Why so many votes for the debut and not many for Killers?

Just curious: are the differences that big? Should the former Eddie carry a weapon as well and look more angry? ;)

I agree with the drawn part (that certainly is an aspect!), but I disagree with the overall feel. And that dominates with me. I'd say that from the whole album discography there are no other two that feel so much the same as these two. The feeling is not exacly the same, but I wouldn't say that the contrast is as big as the difference in number of votes (or the difference in line-ups on these albums :D ).

Perhaps most people here focus on different things (axe, Eddie, person) but I also look at dark skies, clouds, London suburb at night, buildings, lanterns. The (colour of) light on Eddie's shirt. These elements really contribute in the same way to that atmosphere.

I am also looking at the pictures in their entirety. That's why I mentioned similarities.

The axe, Eddie and person attribute to a psycho-killer story.

Last edited:
Why so many votes for the debut and not many for Killers?

For me it's the shape of Eddie's head. I see a stronger continuation from Killers to NotB than from the debut to Killers. Also, the debut Eddie isn't doing much more than standing there with his mouth open. He's more active on the following covers. (Except that one where he's carved in stone, but that's a different kind of cool.)

The Killers Eddie looks more refined and closer to the one we know and love (or what SMX just said with continuity). The overall design of the cover is also a little bit more detailed. The first album is way more simple in design and the Eddie has a bit more of a punk edge which is cool, but I slightly prefer the more slick Killers.

Edit: And yea the Eddie on Killers looks more expressive too.

Thanks guys. Interesting to know what people (don't) like about these artworks, and how they are compared.

On the first cover, I actually like the lack of activity. You don't know what's happening, or still to happen. Also in film, that's what I like about old horror movies/thrillers. The lack of graphical emphasis, in action scenes. Staying in that language, Killers rather stands for in your face horror (1970s and onwards), although we don't really know who the victim is and why Eddie did something to him.

Last edited:
Killers is an awesome, awesome image, and one of my favourites. The skill level/care level Riggs used is much higher than the debut, it's the first front cover with the "traditional" Eddie look, it suits the name of the album quite completely.

Killers-Eddie is brilliant, as is NOTB Eddie. The classic Eddie. Debut Eddie is having an extremely bad hair day and is quite roughly drawn, much less refined. I don't think as much of Eddie when they start pulling him apart, giving him a lobotomy, significantly changing his features etc. Later album artwork get more adventurous, arguably it gets a lot cleverer, too, but to me, Killers and NOTB have the most iconic covers.

I wonder if this game eventually could turn out into: (iconic) Eddie vs (adventurous) artwork. A finale between Killers and (e.g.) Powerslave or SIT.

I think SIT has a lot of support. That is a fun album cover with so many little details to look for, and I can quite imagine it winning. The album itself is very popular, too, and even if this survivor is about artwork, I can imagine those who most love the music also being fond of the artwork. Powerslave is another one with a strong theme and lots of detail.

Personally, I prefer the ones with a simpler image that sticks - in particular NOTB, and to a slightly lesser extent, Killers. NOTB works best with the primary colours (both the bright and dull versions of the cover). The more I think about it, the more I like Fear of the Dark, too. Such a simple and bold design with marked contrasts, and very memorable.

No prayer for the final maiden.

The debut Eddie feels "unfinished" and the other two I simply don't find very cool.

A cover I can't decide whether I like or not is Brave New World - the cloud Eddie is brilliant, but the CGI city sort of ruins it.

For me it's the shape of Eddie's head. I see a stronger continuation from Killers to NotB than from the debut to Killers. Also, the debut Eddie isn't doing much more than standing there with his mouth open. He's more active on the following covers. (Except that one where he's carved in stone, but that's a different kind of cool.)

This, plus Killers has cool background detail that the debut doesn't.
It's one of my favourites.

Back