1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Maiden 1st time in countries + the states (of America)

Discussion in 'Commentary Discussion' started by Forostar, Mar 4, 2016.

?

In Which U.S. state(s) have you seen Iron Maiden?

1. Alabama

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Arizona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Arkansas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. California

27.8%
  5. Colorado

5.6%
  6. Connecticut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Florida

5.6%
  8. Georgia

5.6%
  9. Hawaii

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Idaho

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Illinois

16.7%
  12. Indiana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Iowa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Kansas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Kentucky

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Louisiana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Maine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Maryland

11.1%
  19. Massachusetts

11.1%
  20. Michigan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Minnesota

5.6%
  22. Mississippi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Missouri

5.6%
  24. Nebraska

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Nevada

38.9%
  26. New Jersey

11.1%
  27. New Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. New York

16.7%
  29. North Carolina

11.1%
  30. North Dakota

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  31. Ohio

5.6%
  32. Oklahoma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  33. Oregon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  34. Pennsylvania

5.6%
  35. Rhode Island

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  36. South Carolina

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  37. Tennessee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  38. Texas

11.1%
  39. Utah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  40. Virginia

11.1%
  41. Washington

11.1%
  42. West Virginia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  43. Wisconsin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  44. Wyoming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Can I nitpick about defunct states? The list would be more informative if it said Serbia(YU) 1981, Slovenia(YU) 1984, Croatia(YU) 1986. This way it would be clear when they visited respective states. I'm coming from an angle that someone might thing that Croat audience saw Maiden in 2003 for the first time, FWIW.
    This made me look into it a bit better. I was always a bit confused on the opening of Behind the Iron Curtain, which I had on VHS. It listed PL, CZS, HUN and YU at the intro. Apart from YU not being behind the curtain and not a first visit for Maiden, which doesn't matter since it's a marketing name for central/eastern euro part of the tour, there is actually no footage, which was heavily disappointing for me. And today I realized that CZS was not included in the tour.

2. AlexS

AlexS Trooper

Map of countries based on the OP list. The generator counted 57 countries instead of 62 -- I could explain most of that due to Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland being part of "UK" and Yugoslavia breaking up, but couldn't figure out the explanation for the remaining 1 difference.

Future first-time country visit predictions? I'd nominate Thailand, Taiwan, Ukraine, and Malaysia if they ever do another Ed Force One megatour.

Attached Files:

3. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Czechoslovakia.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  4. Dentura

Dentura Invader

I've only seen them locally here in California. I went to two shows.

Maiden England Tour - August 10, 2012 (Irvine)
    Book of Souls Tour - April 16, 2016 (Inglewood)

5. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Hi @Zare sorry for not replying earlier. I missed this when you asked this, saw it months later and didn't get round to it. I want to respect your angle but I am afraid that what I am going to say might disappoint you. I wanted to make an overview of countries the way they existed (were visited) at that time. I want to keep that historical context. That time it was Yugoslavia, not Croatia or Serbia. That said, I just saw that Serbia is mentioned in the overview (in 1981) so I am going to remove that. 2003 was the first time Maiden visited Croatia since it existed as a country. Perhaps an overview of cities would give (a lot of) people a better idea what you want if they know in which countries they are now. In that overview I could mention cities, countries when visited then, and countries they are called now.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  6. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Thanks. Yeah it would even be better to remove "Serbia" from 1981.

7. Forostar

8. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

I believe in those days it was also quite expensive to bring gear over on the ferries.

9. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

Wasn't this show cancelled making the visit to Luxembourg in 2014 their first ever?

http://maidenshows.ryasrealm.com/1983.htm

Forostar likes this.
  10. Forostar

Hmmmm. Looking at the 1983 date, I found this:
    http://maidenshows.ryasrealm.com/1983.htm

A little too suggestive perhaps ("Yeah, Maiden rescheduled the gig before the Luxembourg gig and the gig after the Luxembourg gig, so probably Luxembourg was not played at this planned date either").

However, unless this newspaper bases its info solely on the link above, it could strengthen your theory:
    https://www.wort.lu/en/culture/luxe...-iron-maiden-tickets-5318232ae4b03e321374eea0

Still, I find it odd that Maiden themselves didn't make a point out of it. Usually they do when they visit a country for the first time. Bad memory or crappy administration, perhaps.
    https://ironmaiden.com/tours/maiden-england-tour---2014

I wish we had some Luxembourg fan or any other source to confirm, just to be sure. Do you remember people on the official board about it?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

I would not be the first time Rod Smallwood has incorrect recollections of past events. What I remember being discussed back in 2014 on the official board was that this was indeed Iron Maiden's first visit to the country after the cancellation of the 1983 gig.

Forostar likes this.