I'm the one who started the "woo oh oh oh oh's" on Fear of the Dark

It's been a while since I last swung the banhammer. Thanks for the opportunity.

Back in '84, I was trying to charm a snake on the beach. The guy that got me the gig said it was a female snake, and he could get her to sing for him. Try as I might, I couldn't get it to happen. Finally, out of anger, I yelled "Sing for me, long bitch." Bruce happened to be standing by, and thinking I said "Scream for me, Long Beach", he took the phrase to use at the concert that night.

You are welcome,
Wasted
Hall of fame post.

He got banned for bumping the thread I take it.

Also, this thread is a goldmine.

Wait a second, what was his new audience participation gift?? You guys banned him before he could even tell us, WTF MODS.

Maybe he didn't give us that gift because we banned him. Sorry.

This forum managed to find out that the gallopy bit of Sanctuary started sometime between 4th Feb and 10th Oct 1980. Between us, we MUST be able to work out when the crowd first starting singing the "woo oh oh oh ohs" to Fear of the Dark. Go on Maidenfans...

Giving this a nudge because I've come to the conclusion that I really would like to know when the singalong started for this number. After all, when it came out it was, to my ears, a below-average Maiden epic looking back to the '80s, symptomatic of a band that had lost its direction. Add the crowd though, and it sounds incredible. I'm certain that the singalong is the only reason it has stayed in the set. All of which makes this an important question.

So Bootleg people, who's got early FOTD tour 'legs and have they got the "woo oh oh oh ohs"?

My bootleg collection from that era is very scarce, so the best I can tell you is that it definitely didn't yet happen during the gigs in Sao Paulo on 01. August or Reggio Emilia on 12. September 1992; the next one I have is Bremen on 16. April 1993, which was on the Real Live Tour already, and there are some timid attempts at it already. The Turin bootleg from 27. April and London from 28. August have almost no audience audible throughout any of the songs, so it's hard to tell. So my guess is that it emerged gradually and only got catalysed through the festivals and live releases. Maybe there was some mixing magic in the live releases to have the fans catch on to it.

The topic has clearly already answered your question! Unless, no, surely you're not? ... are you suggesting you DON'T believe him? :eek:

@Perun , it's there on Live at Donington 1992. (I was there too, but can't remember how loud the chants were!). I had a quick look at YouTube, there's a recording there from Helsinki 5.6.92 (
) which has them. Interestingly, the official site shows 5.6.92 as Reykjavik, not Helsinki! So I don't know if the YouTube clip is factually accurate. If the chants started that early (i.e. warm-up gigs for the FOTD tour), then they must have been initiated by Bruce with a bit of 'conducting'.

The Helsinki/Reykjavik thing is a bit of a mystery though!

It happens here in Argentina 1992:

Which was before they went off to Europe...But as Perun says it emerged gradually and I think that the live release of Fear of The Dark on Live At Donington and A Real Live One had a lot to do with popularizing it.

Anyways it seems to have happened during some shows and others not at all, like:

Mexico, 1992, Central American leg just after Europe:

Osaka 1992, one of the last shows of the tour:

And if the Norwegian audience in 1992 had had their way, we would all be clapping to the intro instead of singing a long :applause:

It happens here in Argentina 1992:

And if the Norwegian audience in 1992 had had their way, we would all be clapping to the intro instead of singing a long :applause:

You'll see the same at football matches. It seems like it's easier for a Norwegian crowd to join the clapping than join the singing ...

Back