how and when did you discover maiden?

[!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--] i'm muslim maiden fan since 1991, i'm from Morocco, i got some friends ( 14) they've been arrested by the police because of Metal ( and Maiden t-shirt among others) both Christians and Muslims are Stupids, i know isn't the Topic anyway, Maiden rules.

PS: they just spend 45 days in jail ( i'm gonna Jailbreak) [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'm AC/DC fan too [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

2015. During my second year of graduation.

Physical copies (CDs, Vinyls, Cassettes) of Metal and hard rock bands are not easily available here in my region due to lack of media coverage and general interest among the public. So Youtube has been my primary source of discovering artists and very recently, Spotify. I remember once watching a snippet of 'Beavis and Butt-Head' on TV where one character was wearing an AC/DC shirt (whom I knew thanks to Iron Man 2 soundtrack lol) and another one wore a Metallica shirt, and that's how I got into Metallica and started diving more into the genre. This was a while before I discovered Maiden.

Back when The Book Of Souls was coming out, I remember having a crap 2G internet connection and since it would take too long to buffer videos on Youtube, I used to play this Facebook game called "Guitar Flash" where songs would load comparatively faster. I discovered many bands from that game (Megadeth, Pantera, Slipknot, Judas Priest) and would play it in 'easy mode' so I could actually listen to the songs while playing.

Shortly after Maiden released a brief sample of 'Speed Of Light' (was also the first single from the album) there was huge fanfare in social media for the upcoming album (Empire Of Clouds was totally hyped because of Bruce playing piano in it). As usual, I went for 'Iron Maiden' in the artists section of Guitar Flash and played 'The Trooper'. Not gonna lie, I had very mixed reactions at first :p but next I listened to 'The Number Of The Beast' (song) and felt I haven't listened to anything like that before (even though I had listened to a fair amount of metal). The vocals, the atmosphere, instrumentation, just awesome. Have been a fan ever since!

I wish to see them live someday... :blush:

Late 1984. 2 minutes to midnight was in a "top hits '84" type compilation i bought as 12 year old boy. Was brutally mutiladed ( fade out when guitar solo starts) ,but was enough to got me to go and buy Powerslave the next day :)

Early 90´s: posters of Can I Play With Madness and Eddie as the Clairvoyant with his crystal ball got my attention. Later there was a page with lyrics of Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter in a comic magazine but I never heard a single second of their music. At that time I still was a huge Roxette fan and not introduced in the world of metal. It was until Guns N Roses and AC/DC hit the charts I became interested in the genre.
First Maiden song I heard was...Weekend Warrior on a local rock radio station. Didn´t impress me much but I decided to get a couple of albums from the library: Powerslave and SSOASS.
Those did the job allright.

Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypae Now! I played that game when I was too young but thought it had a killer soundtrack. This was 1999. I asked my dad who the band were and he said Iron Maiden. I loved the songs Aces High and Man on the Edge (still do!). Not long after that, Dad bought me Best of the Beast. This was a big deal. We didn’t get presents or many treats outside of birthdays and Christmas. It was a real surprise. A few months later I bought their latest album (Virtual XI). The following year I found out that Bruce and Adrian were back in the band by a magazine promoting Brave New World. My brother brought me that for my birthday. I seem to remember it was late, as BNW came out on my birthday and this was pre-Amazon prime.

This has been a fun post to write. It is nice to reflect on the fact that 3 out f my first 2 Maiden albums were gifted to me. My family must have seen how important the band were to me. They still are very important!

It was the single CD version. I still have it. The booklet is completely worn out and the CD is a bit scratched up. It still plays well. The definition of well-used and loved!
It's an awesome compilation. Even the single CD version gives a pretty good overview of Maidens career until that point.

Being the youngest of three brothers, the eldest was the one who got into metal and Maiden in particular, so I practically grew up with them.

just out of interest...

how and when did everyone hear maiden for the first time (that they can remember).

i heard them to start with on Carmageddon 2 (computer game)

the tracklisting on the music on it was

Aces High
Man on the Edge
Be Quick or Be Dead
The Trooper

i remember getting an adrenaline rush every time i played it.. so i went out and bought Number and No Prayer [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Seventh son of a seventh son in 88.....someone passed me it in school and I just got into it....since then I've been in and out but now I'm back following them and catching up with their newer stuff especially. They're still a great band. I don't follow newer metal but maiden are the exception.

Back