how and when did you discover maiden?

[!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

nicely put Onhell

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Mar 2 2004, 01:44 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Mar 2 2004, 01:44 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] It was a cold winter night, it was silent but the moon was bright. I had to break out of my cell, I had had it! I wasn't a number! I was a free man! so I opened the cell door and walked out. It didn't take the guards time to realize that I had escaped but I was running free man! I got sanctuary from the law in an old church. The priest came out of his chambers when he heard me come in, he told me I had the number of the beast and that before I knew my punishment it would be too late! I disregarded his haggard wisdom after all they were bitter words of hate. I left the church and turned on 22 Acacia Avenue and saw a hooker the other's called Charlot getting friendly with some mummy-like dude.  I passed a record store and on the window was a huge poster of Powrslave... Power slave, I was a slave to the power of Death! I felt understood, I belonged, so I went in and their were maiden cds everywhere! I was in heaven! actually no, i was in my bed and I woke up soon after that.
    Actually I friend lent me his discman with Killers on it, I didn't make much of it, later that same friend showed me Brave New World, again I was like...eh. Until a year later I bought Brave New World because I heard my friends voice "The Best Metal in years" So I picked it up and BAM, it hit me, hard. that was 4 years ago...and still counting [/quote]
is the story true?? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Nice work!!

I saw a shortened version of Out of the Silent Planet in mid 2001. I liked it, so I bought BNW and then the rest.

by my father who loves maiden i was like 4 years old [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I think it was '81. A friends brother heard Running Free in a record shop. He bought it and turned us on to it. Been hooked ever since [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Last year I saw this guy wearing the Trooper shirt. The next day i saw him wearing a Metallica shirt. Well, I thought, if he likes both Metallica and Iron Maiden and I like Metallica then maybe I'll like Iron Maiden. I managed to get hold of a copy of Best of the Beast and I instantly fell in love with Hallowed be thy Name.
I should thank that guy sometime for unintentionally introducing me to one of the greatest bands of all time.

It was kind of a long process.. i heard like run to hills the trooper and those songs.. in like 1993 or something..
I had a friend that always listened to maiden! first i hated it.. then after like 3 years of listening to my maiden with my friend.. i began to take some liking in the music.. then in the summer of 2002 i downloaded blood brothers.. and was instantly hooked! i then downloaded all the albums (shame on me) since then ive been a hardcore maiden fan! The album that really made me a fan was Brave New World.,, and Virtual Xi which my friend spinned like 3000 times on a weekend i spent with him

I was watching Power Hour and the last song was Number Of The Beast i thought [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] this kicks ass.. and then i got winmx and downloaded be quick or be dead after NOTB then i found out my brother liked them too.. then my bro and i went on a rampage to find all the stuff we could... [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

and then i found out that i had seen them in concert when i was like 7 and had forgot then saw them again in 2000 at molsen aphitheater

Me i saw them on tv for the first time. That was the rock in rio show and then I receive edward the Great as a gift.

Hmh.. I think it was 5 years ago. I had read a book about satanism, written by Bob Larson. Larson had compiled a list of "satanic" bands that was at the end of the book (the list included Metallica, Maiden, Helloween AC/DC, Slayer and some other bands). Anyway, in this list, he wrote about Maiden, that their favourite lyric themes was "magic and violence", and on the Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, vocalist Bruce Dickinson was screaming out songs about demons and other gruesome beings..

And so, one day.. I was in my local record store, and was looking through their selection of metal albums, and i found.. Best Of The Beast, the 1 CD-version! I instantly bought it, just to check out Maiden, to see if they were so terrible as Larson said. I quickly got hooked up on The Trooper and Hallowed Be Thy Name.. And the rest is history, Maiden-fan for 5 years now:)

And of course, Larson exaggerated pretty much... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

.. As idiot Christian people are inclined to do.

I assume he was Christian; he probably was.

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Peaveyraptor+Mar 22 2004, 05:27 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Peaveyraptor @ Mar 22 2004, 05:27 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] .. As idiot Christian people are inclined to do.

I assume he was Christian; he probably was.

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Yes, Bob Larson was/is christian. He had a christian radio show in the US [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Gotta love those 'nanas [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

um, I'm a christian and a maiden fan....the difference is, is that I actually have intelligence to realise that its all bollocks! that larson guy is just plain stupid!

Well I got 2 Maiden by the age of 9. My bro brought the Real Dead/Live One home and we started to listen to it. 1st of all I didn't like it, to be honest but as I listen to it closely it turn out to be pretty good. So I bought the newer Albums afterwards but then I got bored of Maiden for a while and changed to Metallica [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

But this started to bore me also. In the age of 13 I came in contact with a German Black Metal Sampler. This was MY music. So I got into Cof, Dimmu and others. Nowadays I'm still a blackmetaler but still my fave bands and the roots are defenitly

Maiden & Metallica

And I have to say, that I can't understand the fan revials between those two bands.
Comparing them is like comparing apples and peas, both are fine, but differnt [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maiden & Metallica

And I have to say, that I can't understand the fan revials between those two bands.
Comparing them is like comparing apples and peas, both are fine, but differnt  [/quote]

well i dont know about you but i prefer apples.. although they are both green. interesting thought, i suppose the rivalry is because Metallica just basically play riffs and arn't particularly melodic, whereas Maiden are very melodic and the greatest musicians of the metal world. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] then again im biased

[!--QuoteBegin-Taffy+Mar 23 2004, 04:29 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Taffy @ Mar 23 2004, 04:29 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] um, I'm a christian and a maiden fan....the difference is, is that I actually have intelligence to realise that its all bollocks! that larson guy is just plain stupid! [/quote]
I've got nothing against christians, but that Larson guy was just stupid. Really. You should read that book, especially the section on hard rock bands.. He claimed AC/DC to be a satanic band, because one of the guys had a pentagram necklace at the cover of Highway To Hell [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Obviously these people have never read a marketing book. Rebellion sells. Lots of people will consider any kind of Satanic symbol, even if completely harmless, a sign of rebellion. That's why many bands wear these symbols; to get record sales. Simple.

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-dogigniter+Mar 23 2004, 04:55 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Mar 23 2004, 04:55 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
well i dont know about you but i prefer apples.. although they are both green. interesting thought, i suppose the rivalry is because Metallica just basically play riffs and arn't particularly melodic, whereas Maiden are very melodic and the greatest musicians of the metal world. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] then again im biased [/quote]
Well I could name some melodic songs of 'em but then we would leave the topic of this thread [!--emo&:wub:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wub.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wub.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back