Heard the album... [Thread contains spoilers]

:ph34r:

well i got my album through the post today (i downloaded it on saturday aswell cause well i couldnt wait anymore and cause of bank holiday weekend and no post on sundays its understandable)

ok well my brief review is that it is amazing the 1st time i listened to the whole album to be honest i wasnt to in love with it but by the end of the day i was  -_- .

i think it just beats dance of death by a inch cause of age of innocence never really did that much to be of DOD. As for over all it comes in at number 2 for me behind brave new world.

highlights
the longest day
out of the shadows
for the greater good of god
ah sod it the whole thing is awesome

lowlights
the only thing that kinda makes me think they could of done something else is in the legacy where the riff kicks in about 5:30 it just seems to lack a sense of heavyiness for some reason maybe i feel nicko should be doing some crazy double bass or a faster beat. but what do i know nicko is the tits and so is the album

Re: Heard the album...

nobleguy said:
Again I agree. I can barely make out the words in places because the vocals appear to be muffled by the instruments.
Weird....

After reading Malcolm Dome's Classic Rock review I decided to play the new album back to back with Piece of Mind. Aside from everything else, Piece of Mind sounds much better production-wise. There's a certain 'murkiness' to the sound of the new album and Bruce's vocal suffers the most.

I have warmed to A Matter of Life and Death, but I'd still give it a 3/5 rating. My favourite song is probably Lord of Light, a good combination of classic and contemporary Maiden. Benjamin Breeg is not my really thing. However, I do think it is one of the more successful tracks on the album because of its relative simplicity and Dave's solo is more distinctive than those on other tracks where he’s on autopilot.

Something about Dickinson's vocals...

I've read many reviews saying his vocals are nowhere as good as in the early years.
It seems that I am the only one who thinks Tyranny of Souls delivers better vocal performance than Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding (both amazing albums, by the way), and that A Matter of Life and Death is better than Brave New World and Dance of Death vocal-wise. Sure in some places Dickinson's vocals are struggling with other instruments but...

"Sliding we go..." part of "The Longest Day"
"Don't wanna be here..." part of "Different World"
"We are part of some strange plan..." part of "Lord of Light"

Soaring, powerful.

Even the soft parts of "For the Greater Good of God" and "Out of the Shadows" sound phenomenal.

What do you think?

Up the Irons

I agree with you Lazo. Another thing I think is great in The Longest Day is when Bruce screams "ENTER HELL'S GATE!!" and "WE WILL PREVAIL!" - makes a great parallel to soldiers in the battle screaming those things.

Hi guys, new man here. And for some reason I'm not seeing some smilies on these boards...

I'm from Germany and I got my copy of AMOLAD on Friday when it was released here, and I've had a few days with the album to actually let it sink in a bit. So what I'm about to post is more like a second-listen impression than an initial "whooo new album" rave.

First, I'm 21 and I found out about Maiden at the end of 2004. 2005 was a whole year filled with their music for me as I discovered more and more delicate albums that I loved, starting with BNW and then going back to the "Golden Years". Maiden was the first real metal band I became a fan of because of their melodic and complex songs. Favourite albums include BNW, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and, after a lot of time to get in, Fear of the Dark. I'm also a long-time drummer and as such pay close attention to Nicko's drumming whenever I hear Maiden.

I was very excited when AMOLAD was announced, naturally, because it's the first new Maiden album I witness. My girlfriend and I will be seeing them in December, so this album is even more important to me. But I still took my time to just listen to the songs when I received the CD. I wasn't totally enveloped with excitement; I had heard the three Internet releases before and thus had some kind of concept of what to expect. And when the album was through, I listened again. Then I took a break and later did it again. After some time I found myself humming some of the song structures (guitar melodies, riffs, lyrics) while I was away, and it was that point when I started to actually understand the songs! On the first listen, of course I was excited to hear new material, but I was also confused by the lengthy songs with all of their time, speed and harmony changes. It just took some time to grasp the songs and get an overview of them. Some people around here who don't know what to make of the album should just come back later and listen again, and take a few days to digest it. It will still sound fresh and new later, but you might think different of it.

To sum up in a sentence what I now think of this album, in relation to how Maiden have developed from the 80s till today, I think that AMOLAD is the band's greatest effort in producing a rock-solid, matured, and concept-true work of music. Seventh Son might have been a good album because it included great songs and it was an attempt to tell a story, but there are no outstanding, epic songs on that album (not in my opinion at least; I know some fans are very fond of the record), and the concept behind it isn't transported too well through the music. AMOLAD might not be a concept album when you look at the lyrics and how they don't tell a story in one flow, but it's musically an extremely consistent and epic piece of work that captures all the modern drama, terror and fear of war, violence and maybe even the fascination about it. When I hear this album, I hear incredibly powerful songs which might not be "the heaviest that Maiden ever wrote", but they are among the heaviest, most complex and effective songs they wrote in their career. It's amazing how Maiden can still evolute and polish their sound!

This is what I think about the songs:

Different World: It's a nice clean opener for a modern Maiden album and for their concerts. While not being particularly spectacular, I think it's up with The Wicker Man and better than Wildest Dreams, and being the only "bright" song on the album, it's one that has to be there to start the show.

These Colours Don't Run: That one took a while until I started to like it, but it's good as #2 because it sets the mood for the rest of the album. The topic is sharp, there is a nice dark tone to it and the chorus is the song's hook. It also brings back the time changes, a Maiden trademark.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns: When I heard this song on the Internet, I was blown away. This is indeed one of Maiden's best in my opinion, and it's got it all: a great intro with an explosive riff, great rhythm and drumming, a dramatic pre-chorus that Bruce brings on so well, and then there's this thrilling "out of the darkness" part that erupts into the chorus and then goes over into a different, running part to give the song more drive. I never notice how long it actually is and that's a good thing. They filled up the nine minutes with action, drama and wonderful music.

The Pilgrim: Not sure how many people actually dislike this song, but I can't understand why. This is one of the few uptempo songs on the album and it's got great lead guitar melodies to sing along. This song is actually quite close to what we're used to from Maiden's earlier days, and there is also a distinct Powerslave-esque Egyptian guitar part after the chorus which sounds cool. It's one of the songs on AMOLAD that has its strengths in guitar leads, not riffs like the others.

The Longest Day: The long introduction which slowly builds up tension starts off the song with some cool lyrics, then it goes into yet another hook chorus that will be remembered by the fans on concerts. The song sounds wonderfully aggressive and rises the tension with the following verses, and the instrumental part with guitar solos and melodies nicely finished up the piece.

Out Of The Shadows: While this song is probably my least favourite on this album, it is a breather inbetween the loaded music before and after it. It sounds a lot like BNW's musical style, has atmospheric guitar layers and solos above them, and should feel familiar to Maiden fans.

The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg: This was the first song we heard before the album was released, and it's also the first single. When I first heard it, I was surprised how straight ahead it went, with no time or rhythm changes at all, no obvious guitar leads and a chorus that was hard to recognize. It's probably the song that takes the most time to sink in, and I didn't know what to make of it and couldn't imagine how the rest of the album would sound. But now, having listened to it more times than I can count, and hearing it in the context of the album, I think it is one of the strongest songs on it. The drumming is extremely cool, spot-on and "forces" the song to constantly progress, although the new "unmastered" sound Maiden chose for this album can be pinpointed the most in this song. Some of the beats/fills and guitar passages sound a little uneasy or imperfect, more like a concert performance, but I guess this is what Maiden were after with this sound. At any rate, it makes this song feel very natural and groovey, and the powerful guitar riffs that go through the whole song give it an edge. It's dark, extremely aggressive, has great vocals and captures the torturous feeling that Benjamin Breeg must have felt if he ever existed as the figure that Maiden describe.

For The Greater Good Of God: Probably the best song on the album, and one of Maiden's most epic and polished songs ever. It took a while until I heard the song along the whole album and thought, "whoa, that sounds fucking great!" I hadn't noticed in my first few listens how much power and emotion this song carried, and how well it was performed. In fact, I get a cold shiver down my spine every time I hear the chorus, which feels like the peak of the song, and the following guitar solos and melodies which make this song so unbelievably good. I think that this song proves how much the band has matured and how creative they are today when they write such a masterpiece.

Lord Of Light: This is a similarly epic song, but it has a melancholic atmosphere not just in the beginning. Bruce's singing drives this song the most in the loud parts. The quiet interlude in the middle is nicely dark and moody before it goes up and then down again to the chorus. The song feels a lot like what Maiden did in the mid 90s with Blaze and I like that, even though I never liked these albums much.

The Legacy: I'm still not very comfortable with this song, but it's got emotion written all over it. I always get a lightly depressed and sad feeling in the beginning, even when it bursts out into the slow main verse. Actually it reminds me a lot of Queensryche at that point; defined, a little aggressive and anxious. The song's most notable sequence is the multi-vocal singing towards its end which sounds a little like folk music, but then the song ends with the same sad mood it began with. It's certainly one of the most complex songs on the album and has a lot of feeling inside, much like The Thin Line Between Love & Hate (which I absolutely love).

Overall, I think AMOLAD is a very interesting and refreshing work from Maiden. It sounds different and new because they never made an album before with this kind of musical concept behind it, yet there are some Maiden trademarks that should stay with every forthcoming album the band will make. Some of the ideas they introduced with this album and others they kept from their previous two albums define what Maiden is like these days and I wished they would keep going in this direction. AMOLAD is a great album, one of the best this band ever made in every aspect, and I'm looking forward a lot to the concert.

Thanks MadMax, that was a very interesting and well-written review. Great read.

As for the album, it's doing what I thought I couldn't experience anymore. My first musical 'epiphany' must have been 1988. My second was in 1995. This album is becoming my third.

My favorite band has given me the greatest gift I could expect musically.

It's a masterpiece. In my book, very few albums are called that.

Sorry if I sound pompous and solemn, but this is the rebirth of the biggest heavy metal band on Earth, no matter of I loved their previous efforts.

Cheers

pieceof_chris said:
I don't think that the album is instantly accessible like DOD or BNW but the more I listen to it and get familiar with the songs, the more certain parts musically and lyrically stand out and I appreciate it more (also like The X-Factor!)

I beg to differ.While it took quite a time to get into 'Dance of Death' I say the new album is almost instantly accessible.I've listened to it thrice so far and I have the same thrill as I had when 'Brave New World' was released.Of course I still need a few more days to judge it properly, yet right now I can say that I'm most pleased with the songwriting except that song called 'The Legacy' which sounds interesting up to 5:30 but then it starts to annoy me big time because of its obvious and cheap Queensryche style as for the vocals.

That's all I dare to say at this moment.

I've been listening to AMOLAD in my mp3-player over and over again for almost a week now and the more I hear, the more impressed I get. I agree with The Saint that it's a masterpiece and probably the best Maiden ever made (eventhough I love the "golden-era material" to bits).

Mad Max, that's a great and thorough review and I wholly agree, accept on what you right about the Legacy. That song is one of the few that I fell for immediately on first hearing it and it still grows. Also, I found Out of the shadows to be a big suprise. I hadn't expected a "power ballad" from Maiden, but they showed me that they can do that equally well. It's a very powerful song, I think. There is only one part of one song I have a real problem with - For the greater good of God. It's indeed an epic masterpiece and one of their best songs, but I think the chorus is repeating itself to death in the end of the song. It goes on for much too long, which to me lowers the marks on it from a rock solid 10/10 to 8,5-9/10. Otherwise, AMOLAD is great, and it still grows on me upon each listening.

Very impressed with the new Maiden album. First listen through tracks were good but found 'the longest day' amazing first time round!  ^_^ Love Greater Good of the God and the Legacy, hope these 3 are played live. Brighter than A Thousand Suns is amazing, slightly different from other maiden. But if non of this Prog stuff was mentioned I reckon knowone would be going on about how its a Prog album and different to Maiden  :huh:

TommyBellingham said:
I reckon knowone would be going on about how its a Prog album

Who's this "knowone", a friend of yours?  :ninja:

Great overview, MadMax, and welcome to the forum!

For me, I'm still taking time to let the album to sink in, but I think that Lord of Light and the Legacy are going to become two of my favourite songs from this album, along with 'Brighter...'.  Lord of Light has a thoroughly distrubing intro, with some very moody guitar work, and the riff at 1:40 is one of the best Maiden have done in the past 10 years; heavy and yet still melodic...brilliant.  The orchestral work along with the distortion guitar on the intro to 'The Legacy' is phenomenal...it really sounds grand, and very in keeping with Jannick's style of writing...they are both very complex songs, and the intro to Legacy is especially good...it takes the acoustic intros found on DoD and expands on them...whereas DoD, No More Lies, and to a certain extent, Journeyman, used quite simple acoustic elements, the intro of Legacy is an orgasmic composition, using all three guitars and the bass to create the almost fairytale atmosphere of the first verse, before gradually and seamlessly linking it into the main riff.  From start to finish, the song is a masterpiece, and very unusual for Maiden (especially the fairytale-like intro).

An interesting exercise for those who have heard the album several times already is to listen to it, and after the last chord of the Legacy, to picture in their minds the opening chord of Different World, followed by The Legacy.  Doing this, you get a good picture in your mind, of the scale, the scope and the intensity of this album.  That's another thing I like about this album; it's intensive.  As MadMax pointed out, BTaTS is 9 minutes long, and yet never gets boring.  Rather than overextending songs, Maiden have created lengthy masterpieces, with little pointless meandering.

I have it playing in my car - but my journey to work is so short that I can't listen to more than a track or two during the commute.

I have it ripped on my PC but I have to check on the sytems at work periodically so it almost plays in the background - whilst I work!!!

Subsequently I have yet to shut all else out and listen to it. But I have picked out a few that have really stood out for me:

Brighter than a thousand suns
Benjamin Breeg
The longest day

I am priviledged, as my commute to and from work takes about 1 1/2 hours each way. That's a lot of listening in my mp3-player and one hell of a way to get into a new album. I can't count the times I've listened to AMOLAD but it's still growing. Every song has that something special that catches my attention and I think to myself "WOW!". For example, the little guitar "thingy" in FTGGOG after each time Bruce sings "For the greater good of God" - a very short riff on the guitars that hooked me. I'd have to say that even though Maiden have made a few songs (2 or 3) that in themselves are better than some of the songs on AMOLAD, this to me is their strongest, most even album to date. I don't think I'd mark any of the songs lower than 9/10, and most of them are sure 10s, and that's bloody impressive considering how long they've been at it ^_^

I read somewhere that when you review a new Iron Maiden album, you can't stop writing. This intrigues me a bit since I feel like I could stop anytime while having difficulties to think of something to write.

Don't worry now, I won't attempt to write a full-fledged review. I won't use ridiculously complicated words to make myself seem like a good writer, and I definitely won't attempt to write a song-by-song review (it's such a pain to think of something to say about every song). I'm just going to put down some initial thoughts on the album.

A Matter of Life and Death retains some of the flaws that plagued its two predecessors. Kevin Shirley's production is still light-years away from Martin Birch's in quality. The album as a whole suffers from most songs being built around the same basic pattern - calm intro followed by a riff, a couple of verses, the long instrumental part and then the final choruses. Some songs are a bit too long for their own good, sometimes caused by unnecessary repetitions. The guitar solos have been better. And Bruce's voice has definitely been in better shape.

Well, I've listed a fair bit of negative aspects now, so I'll move on to the more positive stuff. This album is easily the best since the 1999 reunion, and while it's not quite on par with Piece of Mind, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or The X Factor, it's a more than worthy addition to Maiden's discography. Not every song is particularly great, but neither did I find any song that bad, and there are no real stinkers like Gates of Tomorrow or New Frontier. The first two songs aren't that remarkable, but Brighter Than a Thousand Suns sets the mood for the album nicely, and although it might have improved from being less repetitive it's a strong song nevertheless, as is The Pilgrim, which has some amazing riffs.

Another really great song is The Longest Day, with its atmospheric opening verses, catchy chorus and fantastic instrumental mid section. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg has a great riff, but it's one of those songs that should have been shorter and the one-in-a-million slow intro doesn't really add anything.

What does add something though is the final three songs. For the Greater Good of God is a typical Harris-penned epic, but the catchy chorus and memorable instrumental part sets it apart from the album's lesser songs. It is, however, not as good as the two closing numbers. The intro of The Legacy is the best of all the endless calm intros, equaled only by that of Lord of Light, creating a haunting atmosphere enhanced by a brilliant riff and some great verses. The closing verses are a little too similar, but that's a minor flaw. And Lord of Light is just as good, maybe even better. Lyrically it's probably the most interesting track, and I won't even bother to select certain good parts because it's all absolutely brilliant.

Seeing as I've written quite a bit now I think I'll stop here.

very good review shadow, i'm with you on most accounts  :ok:

my favourite song is brighter... , followed by out of the shadows and lord of light

I'm pretty sure it's better than Brave New World, but not quite up to the standards of DoD.  I really need to give it a few more listens.  One of the problems with it is that the songs sound a bit too samey (very much like The X Factor), but the songs themselves are quite good.

Benjamin Breeg is actually my favorite track so far, but Brighter Than A Thousand Suns is quickly catching up.

Anomica said:
I am priviledged, as my commute to and from work takes about 1 1/2 hours each way.
You're not privileged in my book... ^_^

First Son of a Second Son said:
You're not privileged in my book... ^_^
True. It's a privilege only in the sense that I can listen to my favourite music for 3 hours each day without being disturbed by my kids, my wife or a phone ringing endlessly ;) Other than that, I'd obviously prefer a 5-minute brisk walk to work every day :D

Shadow, I can sort of see where you are coming from, but I don't entirely agree with you though. Yes, Kevin Shirley is no Martin Birch, Bruce's voice is (obviously) aging and has sounded better - I'll concur here. The solos, well, personally I am not a huge fan of solos in general. Much of this possibly stems from hearing too many solos that seem to be so predictably placed within a song, it spoils the track or when the solo is just a mess. Therefore, I hold no opinions on solos. None of the above, however, has spoilt my enjoyment of the album and for me, as you stated, there is no "filler" - it really is a good collection of songs. And of sure, it is the best album since The X Factor.

But the length of any track, in my opinion, is not overly long - the unnecessary repetitions I don't see. If a track can keep the listeners attention for its duration, it can't be too long and these tracks do. The calm intros, etc. I really like, it is so typically Maiden and what we come to expect. I guess you could say it is maybe a bit formulated and this is what some have criticised Maiden for in the past.

Out of curiosity and a question open to anyone who wants to answer, would you have been happy with Nigel Green at the production desk?

@Anomica: I can see what you mean about the 1 1/2 hour commute - it's your time and time to listen to what you want. But I could never do that longer commute.

Back