General Album Ratings

As I see those nice post from all of you I will like to comment for the albums that I didn't really comment
I start with the most notable :

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

the only negative thing that someone could find here, is the not so worked story line* 

Shadow said:
While the concept story could have been more thoroughly worked out, there's little to hold against this remarkable album.

[*]...but finaly this works rather possitively, in my opinion, as the lyric result of seventh son, is now more mysterius, more allegorical....

...Seventh Son was a record underatted /or better not well understood by then metalheads...it was a golden metal era, full of masterpieces, so Seventh Son didn't attracted the attention that it desered
....Already, lyricaly, is a masterpiece, mostly the side A of the record (the first 4 songs)

Generally, these 4 first songs build the web of the story with all these biblical, metaphysical and allegorical images
After the next 3 songs come to tell the story line 4+3=7
Only the good die young is the epilogue
....Musicaly, I don't find not one mediocre song, and I LOVE Can I play with Madness

some wonderfull musical moments of the album :
-the intro and outro, composed of seven fatal sentences every time, but with the add "and your trip begins" in the intro
-the r'n'r feeling in the middle of Can I play with Madness
-the instrumental part in the Seventh son that ends with that gorgeous rythms, solos, and royal synths
-the wonderfull outro in the Prophecy**
-the bass intro in Clairvoyant
-the HUGE bass solo -along with the melody ladies and gentelmen - in Only the Good die young

Though I respect and admire Birch'es work,
I am not a great fan of the album's production, (and I don't speak for keys that are very high sometimes)
but mostly for the guitars sound, that miss I think the kicking ass volume of Powerslave

This album touches the perfectionism more than other Maiden album

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
This was the second Iron Maiden studio album that I heard. I borrowed the LP from a classmate (together with Killers). I was very impressed. The album was not as rough as the first Maiden album and naturally it didn't have the raw live sound of LAD, but songs like "Infinite Dreams", "The Evil That Men Do", the title track and "Only The Good Die Young" really blew me away. Especially "Infinite Dreams" touched me with its dramatic vocal lines and lyrics!

What I like so much about Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is the songwriting, not per se the sound. As much as I love the sound of the keyboards – they contribute immensely to the atmosphere – I think that the drums and also the guitars sound a bit thin to my ears. A “soft” production, and therefore not the heaviest album.

Coming back to the title track, it projects a threatening side of the band (only beaten by ROTAM). Its notable aspects are the heavy riffing during the couplets, the haunting melodies of Dave in the pre-chorus, the haunting melodies of Adrian in the "post"-chorus. And of course the sublime midpiece, which is one of the most atmospherical parts of the whole Maiden catalogue. The lyrics (and the way they are sung) are intruiging as well.

Call me spoiled, but it's a shame that after 10 Maiden tours I've never witnessed any other songs than "TETMD", "Can I Play With Madness" and "The Clairvoyant". Since nearly 20 years the band has never played one of the other three tracks, presented in the 1988 setlist. :/

I cross my fingers for next year's tour, and hope they will pick one of them!  :)
(edit: Maiden finally played Moonchild in 2008!  :rocker: )

No Prayer For The Dying
This was one of the last albums that I bought during my discovery. I knew "Holy Smoke" quite well and also "Bring Your Daughter....To The Slaughter". As often, I discovered that the rest of the material was more interesting than the singles. I especially like the first half of the title track, "Fates Warning", the riffy "Public Enema Number One", the instrumental mid-section in "Run Silent Run Deep" and "Mother Russia" with its haunting keyboards!

No Prayer For The Dying is the most live sounding studio recording Maiden ever created. Seems they really wanted to move away from the polished sound of SSOASS. Everything sounds rougher than ever, of course because Bruce’s vocals do, but also the way Nicko sounds on this record.

Overall a nice album, one of the weaker ones in the catalogue, but as said earlier, a weaker Maiden album is still a strong metal album!

Fear Of The Dark
This is a very special album for me because it was the first one that came out after I got into the band. My first concert was from the Fear Of The Dark-Tour. At that time I wondered what would have sounded better. "Fear Of The Tour" or "Tour Of The Dark". Uhh, right, anyway, back to the album! ;)

I liked the majority of the tracks with the exception of "Fear Is The Key" (hard to get into) and "The Apparition" with its simple couplets. "Chains Of Misery" wasn't that good either.

However, I liked the way "Weekend Warrior" developed into an intruiging song, containing beautiful harmonies, with acoustic guitars underneath it. Favourites were and still are "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" (probably my favourite 90's song), "Childhood's End", "The Fugitive", "Judas Be My Guide" and the title track. I have to confess that I also liked the singles this time. Especially the rocker "From Here To Eternity" with the cool Janick Gers solo.

I think that Iron Maiden does the album not much justice by playing only "Fear Of The Dark". I know that the band wants to spellbind all these new people who witness Maiden for the first time. I can't blame them.

But at the same time it looks like they've completely forgotten that "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" had a fantastic reaction from the audience as well! I'll never forget that sea of v-shaped arms in the air, clapping along with the rhythm.

I think I'll do things a bit different for this, I'll go from how I listened to them.

Powerslave This was the first album I listened to. Aces High is a fantastic opener! 2 Minutes is one of Maiden's top 10 songs of all time, although I don't think I put it in my Top 10 list *too hard to decide!* Personally, I like Losfer Words. I think it's a great instrumental, and H does the solo!  :D Flash Of the Blade is AWESOME. I highly doubt they'll play that on the next tour, cuz of the high vocals. If they do, I'll go nuts! They have 3 guitarists, and could pull off those amazing harmonies with ease. I almost feel Losfer Words/Flash Of the Blade/Duellists could be one long song...they just flow into one another. Back In the Village is an underrated Maiden tune. It's awesome! They should play that one on the next tour and surprise everyone! The title track is killer too. Dave's solo is real nice. And then there's Rime. Enough said. If I were to rate it, it would be 10/10, no questions asked.

Somewhere In Time The next in line. At first I just brushed off the title track, but after listening to it over a period of...I dunno...3 months or so, it grew on me! WOW! If they open up the next tour with it, I can imagine the crowd's reaction! Now for those of you who know me in here, Wasted Years is wonderful. It's H all the way. They'll play this one, no doubt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last time that song was played was the "reunion" tour in 1999? 8 years? Sea Of Madness has a killer bass riff in the beginning, but from what I've read, they dropped the song on that tour in favor of Stranger In A Strange Land...Heaven Can Wait is great, although the videos on You Tube with the crowd singing the "Whoa..." part gets a bit annoying. They need only about 10 people, not 50! Loneliness is all right, it is growing on me. From what I read, it was only played 2 or 3 times before it was dropped. SIASL is another classic H track, he put a ton of feeling in that song! But why it has a fadeout is just stupid. His solo at the end was cut off! Deja-vu is a great Murray track, but has it been played live? It should be! Alexander is another tune that is growing on me. Yeah, the words are a bit "laundry" or whatever no5 said, but the solos in the middle are great! Rating 9/10

Brave New World This was the first tour I saw them on. Unfortunately, I knew nothing! :( My husband at the time didn't like the new material, and I just never really listened to it. But now..Wicker Man is probably the best opener they've done. Great crowd interaction! Ghost Of the Navigator is a great followup. The title track grew on me after a while, as did Blood Brothers. BB is a great song! After watching Rock In Rio it made me want to dig deeper into BNW. When I first heard The Mercenary, it didn't do much for me, but then I found that solography and saw Davey and H did the solos, even though the song is Gers/Harris! Intrigued, I listened to it and now it's one of my faves on the album! Dream Of Mirrors is a gem! Buildup to the "LOST in a dream of mirrors.." is awesome! Janick's solo is great too. Fallen Angel is real heavy. I think it would have gone over well if they would have played that on that tour. Then Nomad...another one that grew on me. Davey's intro is awesome! Just listened to it today. If they would have cut out that instrumental part in the middle, they probably could have played that on the tour....maybe? Out Of the Silent Planet is all right, I never got into it. Thin Line is another "grower." I read Dave outdone himself on this album, I can agree w/that: BNW, Nomad, Thin Line...all killer tunes! Rating 9/10

Dance Of Death One song: PASCHENDALE.  :D *sigh* I said this was my least fave album? Shit. Oh well. I just LOVE Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker. That's another Murray masterpiece, IMO. No More Lies is outstanding! Sure, all you say is "NO MORE LIES" about 8 times, but it fiits the song, not like that nonsense in The Angel and the Gambler. Montsegur I never liked...kinda blah. Then the title track. Like DOM, it builds up. But I prefer this one better than DOM. Bruce tells a good story. All 3 of them do a solo, vs. just Janick on DOM. Gates Of Tomorrow and New Frontier aren't too bad...Nicko did good on his first song credit in 20 years  :bigsmile: Pasch is the shit. Face In the Sand is unique, cuz Nicko used double bass pedals. Didn't need it, IMO. Age Of Innocence I never got into, and Journeyman is a great acoustic tune. I think Maiden should do another one in the future. Rating 8/10

Piece Of Mind I first listened to this right after Christmas. At the time, Where Eagles Dare was a killer opener, and it still is! In their top 5 of openers. Revelations is a sweet Bruce song, he has a lot of emotion singing that! I didn't know he played acoustic guitar in it until recently. Flight Of Icarus is one of my favorites. They could play this song next tour and I'll be screaming it  :bigsmile: DWYBO grew on me, and in fact, I believe they played that on the Death On the Road tour. I remember enjoying it. Then The Trooper. Stands the test of time. They play it just about every tour also. Great song! Still Life:Best Murray song he's written! It grew on me over time. Quest For Fire and Sun and Steel are fillers, I guess. TTAL is a great way to set up for Powerslave. Harris' bass solo is almost like the one in Rime. Rating 9/10

AMOLAD Another one I received for Christmas. After watching all the You Tube videos, it doesn't have a bad song on it! My faves are Brighter Than A Thousand Suns, These Colours Don't Run, Benjamin Breeg, and FTGGOG. They definitely rocked out on this album! Rating 10/10

Number Of the Beast Like I said in the overrated song thread, to most people it's only 3 songs: NOB, Hallowed, and Run To the Hills. I like 22 Acacia, Children Of the Damned, and Total Eclipse. I loved Hallowed from Abbey Road! They need to play Pasch at Abbey Road next :D Every tour has one of the aforementioned 3 in it. Still a great album, Bruce made an awesome debut! Rating 9/10

7th Son Highly recommended by my husband. We finally downloaded it and I was blown away! Moonchild is a fantastic opener! I think everyone would be surprised if they opened up with this on their next tour, instead of Aces High. Infinite Dreams is a great Harris epic. Wish I would have seen this tour...too bad I was only 7  :lol: Can I Play With Madness is a catchy tune, can get annoying after litnening to it for a long time. The Evil That Men Do is killer! One of H's top 3 solos ever. Perfect lead in to the title track. In my top 10! The Prophecy just doesn't fit in the album, but Murray had to get a song credit, right?  :p Clairvoyant is a great tune, great bass riff to open it! OTGDY is a great closer. It gets a 10/10 from me.

Iron Maiden Now the Paul albums. Sure, the album was produced kinda bad, bit it gives the album a new feeling. The only track I really *don't* like is Strange World. All the rest are great! Prowler, Phantom Of the Opera, and Charlotte are my top songs. Rating 9.5/10

Killers I love the title track! When was the last time it was played on tour? 7th Son, or after? I never got into Prodigal Son. Ides Of March is a great lead into Wrathchild, which I remember from the BNW tour. I read Paul didn't like making this album as much, but I think this album is better than IM. Twilight Zone is a 2 minute gem that I fell in love with! Another Life and Innocent Exile grew on me after repeated hearings. All in all, great album. Rating 9.5/10

The other ones I don't have, so I can't rate them: No Prayer, FOTD, X Factor, and Virtual XI. Best Of the Beast has ones from each album except VXI cuz it was released in 1998. I love Sign Of the Cross, Virus, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, and FOTD.

There. Suits me all right  :D

I need to rateX Factor now, since I have listened to it a few times. I have Best of the Beast, which has Sign Of the Cross on it. That is a killer song! Great opener too. Bruce sang it good on Rock In Rio, and it sounds just fine w/Blaze. I'm confused...Virus is on BOB, but it's not an album song? It's not on TXF or VXI? Where is it then? Was it just a song for BOB? Anyhow, the whole album nay be dark, but I like all the songs on it. I think SOTC, Edge Of Darkness, and 2AM are the best ones.

I'll rate VXI after I listen to it more, just got it today.  ;)

On another Blaze note...I LOVE Silicon Messiah! You Stare At the Sun people...add me to the list! hehe  :D

Virus is indeed a non-album track. :)

It came out as a single (2nd September 1996), around three weeks before the release of "Best of the Beast".

"Silicon Messiah" is my favourite Blaze album! :)

It's not nice to say, but from there on, everything went downhill imo.

Forostar said:
"Silicon Messiah" is my favourite Blaze album! :)

It's not nice to say, but from there on, everything went downhill imo.
That is interesting, because I only have Blood & Belief from Blaze and rate it as one of the best albums I have ever heard (no kidding - it would be in my top 20 albums of all time). And it went downhill before that?

Albie said:
That is interesting, because I only have Blood & Belief from Blaze and rate it as one of the best albums I have ever heard (no kidding - it would be in my top 20 albums of all time). And it went downhill before that?

Well, I like Silicon Messiah better, so for me: YES :)

Blaze's second and third album, in my opinion, suffer because of the musicianship on the albums.  The first album is bolstered by his best available lineup.  Blood and Belief is great...Silicon Messiah is much better.

Line-up wise not much differences (only a new bassist and a hired studio drummer on the third album "Blood & Belief") and the musicianship is still pretty good. I just think that the Blaze-band wrote several "less-good-songs" on the 2nd and 3rd album.

For me, "Silicon Messiah" is one great ride from beginning 'til end.

Here's my thoughts on the Maiden albums to date:

Iron Maiden (1980)

Some people complain about the production on this album but i think it adds to the raw energy and hunger on this album. Great songwriting from start to finish too.
The Good: All 10
The Bad: n/a
Rating (out of 10): 10

Killers (1981)

Good follow up to the debut, production is much improved compared to Iron Maiden and Clive Burr's drumming sounds immense on this album. Wrathchild has been a tad overplayed over the years but still remains a standout track on here. Prodigal Son is also a hidden gem on here, one of Maiden's best "quieter" moments.

The Good: The Ides of March, Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Killers, Prodigal Son
The Bad: Twilight Zone
Rating: 8.5

The Number Of The Beast (1982)

Almost a flawless album, if Gangland had been replaced by Total Eclipse it would have been a big boost to this album. Not a big fan of 22 Accacia Avenue either, find it a bit cheesy. The rest of the album though, 6 tracks of pure metal gold, great opener in Invaders, never get tired of hearing the title track or Children of the Damned, especially live.
The Good: Children of the Damned, The Prisoner, The Number of the Beast, Run To the Hills
The Bad: 22 Accacia Avenue, Gangland
Rating: 9

Piece of Mind (1983)

Great album from start to finish with the exception of Quest For Fire, song sounds like a heavy metal version of a bad irish jig. To Tame a Land is one immense track to close the album and it has metal classics in Revelations, The Trooper and Where Eagles Dare.
The Good: The other 8
The Bad: Quest For Fire

Powerslave (1984)

Heard this albuim being referred to as "Fillerslave" and i'm inclined to agree. Think it's Maiden's most overrated album. Not an album i can listen to in its entirety without hitting the skip forward button. Having two songs about swordfighting on there might indicate ideas were running a little thin at the time. Aces High, Two Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave and Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner are four of Maiden's best (looking forward to hearing them on the next history tour (fingers crossed)) and Losfer Words is catchy but the rest i can go without. If those 4 had been released as an EP it would be the greatest metal EP of all time but overall a very pathcy album.
The Good: Aces High, Two Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave and Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner
The Bad: Flash of the Blade, The Duellists, Back in the Village.
Rating: 6

Somewhere In Time (1986)

Think this album sounds great, the addition of the synths gives this album a very futuristic and spacy sound. The lack of contribution to the songwriting by Bruce is noticeable but the extra credits for Adrian Smith are a welcome form of compensation, Wasted Years and Stranger in a Strange Land are the standout tracks on this album for me.
The Good: Wasted Years, Stranger in a Strange Land, Sea of Madness, Deja Vu
The Bad: Alexander the Great
Rating: 8

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)

My favourite album by Maiden, think the concept running through the album is carried off excellently and the songs have stood the test of time. The live version of the title track on Maiden England still makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck.
The Good: Everything
The Bad: Nothing
Rating: 10

No Prayer For The Dying (1990)

Vastly underrated album, some great songs on here like the title track, Tailgunner, The Assasin, Public Enema Number One. The production could have been better on this album but the band were aiming for a raw sound and that's what they got.
The Good: No Prayer for the Dying, Tailgunner, Holy Smoke, The Assasin
The Bad: Hook in You, Run Silent Run Deep
Rating: 8

Fear of the Dark (1992)

Very similar to Powerslave in that there's a lot of filler on here. Some tracks are absolute belters though. Find the studio version of the title track very flat, it's a maiden classic but the recorded version just doesn't stand up to the numerous live versions of the song Maiden have released.
The Good: Be Quick Or Be Dead, Afraid to shoot strangers, The Fugitive, Judas Be My Guide
The Bad: Wasting Love, Chains of Misery, Weekend Warrior, From Here to Eternity
Rating: 6

The X Factor (1995)

Maiden's darkest work and one of their best. Great way to comeback after Bruce's departure. The lyrics here are some of Maiden's best and this album still remains one of my favourites. The Sign of the Cross is my favourite Maiden album opener. not mad about Look for the Truth or the Aftermath but the rest of this album is pure class.
The Good: Judgement of Heaven, Blood On the World's Hands, The Sign Of the Cross, 2am, The Unbeliever, Edge of Darkness, Man on the Edge
The Bad: Look for the Truth, The Aftermath

Virtual XI (1998)

My least favourite Maiden album. Bad production, very boring drumming and repetitive songwriting take away from this album greatly. Despite containing some great songs like the Clansman, Futureal and Como Estais Amigo, there are too many bad tracks on here that make this album a let down as a follow up to the excellent X Factor.
The Good: The Clansman, Futureal, Como Estais Amigo
The Bad: The other 5
Rating: 5

Brave New World (2000)

A return to form, some classic long epic Maiden tracks on here like Blood Brothers, Dream of Mirrors, The Nomad as well as quick punchy numbers like The Wickerman and Out of the Silent Planet. Small bit of filler on here with The Mercenary but overall a great album.
The Good: Blood Brother, Dream of Mirrors, The Nomad, The Wickerman, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Out of the Silent Planet,
The Bad: The Mercenary, The Fallen Angel
Rating: 8.5

Dance Of Death (2003)

Lots of peaks and valleys here. Some top quality fare like Paschendale, Journeyman, Rainmaker, Montsegur and Dance of Death makes this an enjoyable album but there is some filler with Gates of Tomorrow, New Frontier and Face in The Sand. Still an album i listen to a lot and the material from here that was played live sounded excellent.
The Good: Paschendale, Journeyman, Dance of Death
The Bad: Gates of Tomorrow
Rating: 7.5

A Matter of Life and Death (2006)

Unreal. Album of the year for 2006 by a country mile. I'm not mad about The Pilgrim but the rest of this album is an absolute masterpiece and the bands most complete album since Seventh Son. Playing the entire album live made for an excellent show on the last tour.
The Good: The other 9
The Bad: The Pilgrim
Rating:10

IRON MAIDEN

This is THE album that got me hooked! Not just hooked on Maiden, but NWOBHM, and all that came after it. I must've first heard it around 1981 (at the ripe old age of 13), back then I was living behind the Iron Curtain and things took us a bit longer to get. I still remember the old, beat up, Sony tape that a friend of mine had copied the album on. That was 26 years ago yet to my ears this albums still sounds as fresh as it was released yesterday. I trully believe that Iron Maiden is indeed the band's best ever album. And, I dare to add something that may sound very controversial - to me Dennis Stratton's guitar play and backing vocals contribute greatly to the overall sound. As for a favorite track - mine is Phantom Of The Opera, which I'm listening to (Live At The Ruskin version) as I'm typing this. Music for the ages!

Perun said:
We have a 'favourite' and a 'least favourite' album thread, but both will only ever serve for you to describe what you think about these two particular albums. With 14 studio albums in their discography, Iron Maiden have produced so many masterpieces that, at least to me, mentioning one as my favourite seems a bit unfair to all the others, which I love just as much. So, I thought a thread like this would serve well to give all of us an opportunity to praise all those other jewels too.

To me Maiden's albums are like my future non-existent children. Of course I have a favorite, but I don't tell them who it is. :D

Well, Maiden are often accused (by people who have not listened to all their albums) of making the same songs over and over. I find it nonsense. First listen to "Iron Maiden" and then "Brave new world" and tell me that you honestly think they sound the same ... well, here we go.

"Iron Maiden": Wow, that's a debut album for ya. Speed, eagerness, melody and power in a nice blend. I don't care about the crappy production, most songs sound great anyway. But I must say, I think the last two songs aren't that great. Favourite songs: Remember Tomorrow, Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, Strange World. I give this album 7,5 out of 10.

"Killers": Some good songs here too, but it doesn't make it for me to the same degree as the debut. Of course the production is better, but compared to the  debut and later releases I simply find this a little to "ordinary", or should I say a little bit boring?
Favourite songs are Wrathchild, Killers and the two instrumentals. I'd say this is a 6,5.

"The Number of the Beast": Well, now we're talking. I think Bruce adds a dimension to the band. Although there are some (in my opinion, of course) overrated songs here (the title track and Run to the Hills) two of my favourite songs are also here. COTD and HBTN are close to perfection. Invaders is OK, but the openers on the four next albums are better. The Prisoner has good solos, but the rest of the song ain't any special. 22 Acacia Avenue, Tne Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills are full of energy, they are good songs, but the two latter get more credit than I think they deserve. Maiden have many songs that make these sound rather forgettable. Now, why was Gangland on the original release and not Total Eclipse? The latter is far superior, I think, both musically and lyrically. Then we have a closer which is pure greatness. Everything is great about this song. The riffs, the singing, the lyrics, the solos, the bass and drums.

The album is a step up from "Killers" and gets a lot of praise among metal fans in general. Well deserved praise, but I don't think it is among Maiden's top three. Favourite songs: Hallowed ..., Children of the Damned, Number of the Beast. I give this album 8 out of 10.

"Piece of Mind". Oh, this is great. The guitar duels, the singing, the production, and now featuring the mad Mr. McBrain on drums. It is hard to point out what is great and not so great about the album, but I must say this is perhaps the album where I enjoy the guitar solos the most. We get a nice introduction to Nicko's drumming with the opener, some good songwriting by Bruce on Revelations, a couple of nice rockers and then The Trooper which is not nice, but excellent. Followed by another classic which is unfortunately nearly forgotten by many. Please, Steve. Play "Still Life" on the next tour. A little let down after Still Life with Quest for fire (mainly because of the lyrics, but the music doesn't stand out either), Sun and Steel is a little step up before we get the wonderful "To tame a land". A great way to close a great album. Favourite songs: Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, The Trooper, Still Life, To Tame a Land. I give this great album 9 out of 10.

"Powerslave": A bit more crunchy than Piece of Mind, the singing is more hard rock and less "operatic" (compare the verses on "Powerslave" (the song) to most songs on PoM) and I think the bass is more in the foreground this time. Some nice bass lines, the melody from PoM is kept, and this album also has many great guitar solos. The first album where I like _all_ the songs very much. However, I have some favourites here as well: Aces High, Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. And, ladies and gentlemen: Here comes a 10/10 from me. Pure excellence.

"Somewhere in Time": Another very good album, but not as good as Powerslave. Opens with some heavy guitar synths and man, how I love the opening of "Caught Somewhere in Time". Great solos, too. There are good songs here, but I find the lyrics on this album a little one-dimensional. Musically, most songs are great, but Sea of Madness and Heaven can Wait don't do it for me. SiaSL has that great solo by H, but otherwise I think it's just an OK song. Favourite songs are Caught Somewhere in Time, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Alexander the Great. The rating is the same as for NotB: 8 out of 10.

"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son": Well, I have already explained in the "Favourite Album" what I think about this one. The only minus is, I think, that "Can I Play With Madness" doesn't fit in because of the up-tempo "Flight of Icarus" feel it has. It would fit better on one of the previous albums. Favourite songs: Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son of a Sevent Son, Only The Good Die Young. Rating: 10/10. This is comparable to a perfect steak with new potatoes, a tasty sauce, fresh vegetables and a glass of Czech beer, followed by apple pie and ice cream with a nice cup of coffee, and with a good Single Malt afterwards.

"No prayer for the dying": Well, I think this album suffers from several things, but the biggest problems for it are that it follows Seventh Son and it doesn't have Adrian Smith on it. The songwriting isn't that bad, but I miss Adrian's solos and I don't like how Bruce sings here either. Some songs are really good, but this is also the first album with songs I really don't like. These are The Assassin, Bring Your Daughter ... and Hooks in You. I consider this the weakest of the albums released before 1990. Favourite songs: No prayer for the dying, Fates Warning, Mother Russia.
Rating for this album: 5,5

"Fear of the Dark": My oh my, this is one album packed with filler. In addition, Bruce sounds even worse than on No Prayer. Be Quick Or Be Dead is an energic opener, and on this song I actually think the raw singing is fitting in OK. Then we get From Here to Eternity, which isn't much to write home about. Afraid To Shoot Strangers is one of only two classics on this album, after this I think the album simply gets boring. Yeah, you heard me. Boring. Judas Be My Guide is an OK song, but too short. Somebody have said Weekend Warrior reminds of AC/DC. I can agree on that, to some extent, but although I like AC/DC I don't think it fits on a Maiden album. We get Fear of the Dark as a close, it is a great song live, but it can't save the album from the mediocracy brought on by the songs in between ATSS and this one.
Favourite songs: Be Quick Or Be Dead, Afraid to shoot strangers, Fear of the Dark
Rating: I'm sorry, I can't give it more than 4,5.

"The X Factor": Definitely a step in the right direction. It is very different from earlier releases, most songs start slow and we get introduced to acoustic bass. Some good songwriting, and while many don't like the change in vocals from Bruce to Blaze, I must say this change is far better than the change from "Seventh Son"-Bruce to "No Prayer"-Bruce. Blaze's singing is great for these slow and dark songs, many good lyrics, but the songs become a bit too similar to each other. Favourite songs: The Sign of the Cross, Lord of the Flies, Fortunes of War.
Rating: I rate it between the two first albums. 7,0 out of 10.

"Virtual XI": Oh, man. The repetitions. This is the main problem with the album - nearly all the songs are very repetitive. Much has been said about the drumming, the production, and the never-ending chorus ... actually, there are only two songs here that I listen to regularly: The Clansman, and Como Estais Amigos. Actually, The Clansman also has a bit of the repetitiveness, but there are so many good parts in the song that it is saved. There are other songs that are not that bad, like Lightning Strikes Twice (but I think Blaze doesn't sound good on the chorus) and When Two Worlds Collide, but all in all it is not a great album. Better than Fear of the Dark, but weaker than No Prayer.
Favourite songs: The Clansman, Como Estais Amigos
Rating: 5,0 out of 10.

"Brave New World": Like The X Factor, it is consistent, but I think it is consistent on a little higher level. There are no songs that I don't like, just some that I don't think are as good as the rest. There is power, the band seems to enjoy playing again, and Nicko's drumming is great. The Wicker Man is the best "fast opener" since "Caught Somewhere in Time", and the next three songs are pure class. By now you know what I think of "Blood Brothers". The Mercenary ain't on the same level, I think, but then comes Dream of Mirrors. This is a great album, actually I rate it just behind "Piece of Mind".
Favourite songs: Ghost of the Navigator, Blood Brothers, Dream of Mirrors
Rating: 8,5 out of 10.

"Dance of Death": Another fine album from the 6-man lineup, but not as consistent as Brave New World. I think there are too many songs, actually - had they let out Gates of Tomorrow, Age of Innocence and possibly Wildest Dreams, I would have enjoyed it more. Rainmaker would be a great opener, but perhaps they wanted two short fast songs before the first long one. The album has my favourite track on it (Paschendale), and also the first Maiden song I heard in its entirety: No More Lies. Really like the solos in this one.
Favourite songs: Rainmaker, No More Lies, Montsegur, Paschendale
Rating: 7,5

"A Matter of Life and Death": Actually, the first album that I bought upon release, I had high expectations and wasn't disappointed. This album is very even, all the songs are very good. Finally it seems as they really utilize the three guitars to the fullest, and the basslines are more in the foreground again.  We can like that. The acoustic opening of "The Legacy" is different from most things Maiden have done earlier (yes, I know that Journeyman uses acoustic guitars, but I don't think the song is that special). I think this is a notch above Brave New World, and among their top 5 albums.
Favourite songs: These Colours Don't Run, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, For The Greater Good of God, The Legacy
Rating: 9 (hey, equal to Piece of Mind!).

Now, I will sum up the ratings in a list, starting on the top:

1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (10/10)
1. Powerslave (10/10)
3. Piece of Mind (9/10)
3. A Matter of Life and Death (9/10)
5. Brave New World (8,5/10)
6. The Number of the Beast (8/10)
6. Somewhere in Time (8/10)
8. Iron Maiden (7,5/10)
8. Dance of Death (7,5/10)
10. The X Factor (7/10)
11. Killers (6,5/10)
12. No Prayer for the Dying (5,5/10)
13. Virtual XI (5,0/10)
14. Fear of the Dark (4,5/10).

I must add that I don't think any other album I own would get any more than 7,5 on this list if I used the same standard, except for Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" which is 8-9.

Thanks Eddies Wingman, even though I disagree with your comments on FOTD, I enjoyed reading it! I still have to finish the last three albums, myself!

One picky comment if you don't mind! ;)

Eddies Wingman said:
"Dance of Death": Another fine album from the 6-man lineup, but not as consistent as Brave New World. I think there are too many songs, actually - had they let out Gates of Tomorrow, Age of Innocence and possibly Wildest Dreams, I would have enjoyed it more. Rainmaker would be a great opener, but perhaps they wanted two short fast songs before the first long one. The album has my favourite track on it (Paschendale), and also the first Maiden song I heard in its entirety: No More Lies. Really like the solos in this one.
Favourite songs: Rainmaker, No More Lies, Montsegur, Paschendale
Rating: 7,5

No More Lies is the most repetitive song of the last three albums (together with perhaps FTGGOG and maybe one or two others)! :p

edit:
I like the way you compared SSOASS with eating food haha!

Forostar said:
Thanks Eddies Wingman, even though I disagree with your comments on FOTD, I enjoyed reading it! I still have to finish the last three albums, myself!

One picky comment if you don't mind! ;)

No More Lies is the most repetitive song of the last three albums (together with perhaps FTGGOG and maybe one or two others)! :p

Agree on that No More Lies is repetitive, but the solos towards the end of the song compensate for that more than for some other of the repetitive songs. Of course one can get tired of hearing the phrase "No More Lies!!!" time after time.

Now my problem with Virtual XI is that there are not enough great moments to make up for the repetitiveness in those songs. The same goes for The Mercenary - i mean, the song is about 5 minutes long (not very much) and has the same line "Show'em no fear, show'em no pain" repeated to boredom, with a catchy guitar line in between each repetition, but that makes the song feel long-winded, while the chorus of No More Lies still is pretty short. But I definitely see yer point.

Now to the closest grocery store to get some food'n'beer for tonight.

Iron Maiden - 9/10. Brilliant debut album. Perun hits the nail on his head when he likens the sounds as if the Band were playing a smoky pub or club, close to Upton Park. Highlights are Phantom and Prowler.

Killers - 8/10. Great follow up and the songs seem to be heavier than on IM. Has not stood the test of time as well as it's predecessor. Highlights are Killers and Murder.

The Number of The Beast - 9/10 The album that really started their world domination (as much down to publicity than as to the music). A bit of a disjointed album in some ways but has a great rocking intro with Invaders and also saw the start of Adrian Smith penned tracks, giving the Band a new sound again.

Piece of Mind - 9/10. I love this album from the drum intro onwards. Some have accused this of being an album of two halves with the first five or so songs being much stronger than the rest. One of Maiden's finest albums IMO which saw the start of some classic Smith/Dickinson/Harris compositions. Highlights are Die With your Boots On and Flight of Icarus.

Powerslave - 8/10. People rave about ths album and indeed it does have some fantastic songs but I don't see it as a standout album. Sure it has the famous 4 (Aces, 2 mins, Powerlsave and Rime) but are the rest good enough to make this album their best?? One song I do love though is Back In the Village. I love the dirty, distorted intro from Adrian, although it does go slightly downhill from there.

Somewhere In Time - 9.5/10. I have to say for playing solo's  think this album really does show off Mr Murray and Mr Smith. The solo's seem longer, more complex, more adventurous than all the previous albums. The sound of the album is different to anything they have done before or after and remains one of my favourites.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - 9/10. The intro blew me away. Moonchild is a great opener and a much heavier sound than on Somewhere in Time. Infinite Dreams saw the start of Mr Harris and his love affair with prog. Despite being accused of being "too commercial" from some I love Can I play With Madness and The Evil That Men Do. Iron Maiden commercial? Fuck off. The story telling from start to finish is fantastic and the album is great.

No Prayer for The Dying - 7/10. Oh dear. I think I need to go back to the album at some point and have a good old listen. Being an avid Adrian fan i think I have always been too critical of this album. If I change my mind after a few listens I'll let you know.

Fear of the Dark, The x factor, and Virtual XI - I must admit that i have not listened to these albums in their entiriety. i have them on my generic MP3 player and have listened to parts of the albums but again I think I am negatively influenced by the lack of Adrian, and then Bruce. I will have to go back to these and give them the attention they deserve.

Brave New World. 8/10. Bruce and Adrian are back and i'm a Maiden fan all of a sudden. I hadn't bought a Maiden album for seven years and they had slipped off my radar. It was only by chance at a friends's house that i saw the news of Bruce and Adrian back and I waited in anticipation for Brave New World. It didn't disappoint. Big songs, big sounds. Steve really into his prog. Great album. Highlights are Dream of Mirrors, Blood Brothers (this song made me appreciate Mr Gers finally!!) and the title track.

Dance of Death 9/10. Love this album to bits. Effin great. Why so many people don't like it i dont know. Wildest Dreams is a brilliant opener, Rainmaker a great rocker, No More Lies is just.....epic. Paschendale is a work of art. it's stunning. Brilliantly constructed, heart wrenching, pounding. A powerhouse of a song. Maiden at their absoloute finest. Other highlights are Face in The Sand and Journeyman. I saw them play this live in Nottingham - 'twas amazing.

A Matter of Life and Death - 10/10. Perun you were mistaken. The concise Collins Oxford Dictionary clearly states that perfection (per-fec-shun) Noun is - IRON MAIDEN - A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH . This album is the product of six musicians at the top of their game, using their wealth of experience of playing together and playing with other musicians. Of six musicians who despite their age, still have the passion, hunger and ability to produce an album that peers half their age will never produce. Quite simply it blew me away and 10,000 listens later still sounds amazing.
Kevin Shirley wrote in his diary that he never mastered the recordings, choosing instead to leave it raw. I think it just adds to the atmosphere the album delivers. Immense.
Like a fine wine they are getting better with age which augers well for the next album!

Phew!!! *wipes sweat off brow* I've been doing this on and off at work all day since about 9am  :lol:

Worth it though!!!

Iron Maiden
Strangely enough, despite being obsessed with Maiden since aged 12 (1992), I only bought this album on CD last year. I’ve had it on vinyl for 16 years but chose to keep it in pristine condition (ya never know what it might be worth at some point, eh?) I’m digressing though, for a debut album it is something quite special. Heck if they only released Phantom of the Opera it would’ve gone down as a classic in my eyes!! I’ve read here that a few people think the production helps it more than hinders it, and I agree. It does give it a low down, dirty feel which suits the general flow and mood of the album. Don’t know if that was intentional at the time, I’d say yes as I’m pretty sure Maiden have always been genius at everything, but for songs like Prowler and Transylvania et al I think that s*it hot production and nice squeaky clean digitalism would’ve ruined them somehow. I can’t imagine Strange World and Remember Tomorrow would be the atmospheric, ethereal masterpieces that they are if they were produced and recorded any other way. Actually I can’t, off the top of my head right now, think of any criticisms for this album. The production did bother me a bit when I first got it but, having given it time and a fair few listens, I now feel the polar opposite about it. It is just a damn good raw, rock album. I don’t know why they redrew the cover for the ’98 re-release though (the CD I have) id’ve preferred the original cover I think. Splitting hairs though really. I’ll rate it at a nice, healthy 9/10

Killers
Ok, the 3rd Iron Maiden studio album I owned. It really did blow me away. At the time it was like nothing I had heard before, either from Maiden or anyone else. The pace and energy of the album is unreal and I feel that it bridges the gap between the debut and the seminal NoTB perfectly, whether it was planned to or not. In fact if they left Drifter off the album completely then I don’t think there would be a single thing wrong with it. 9/10

The Number of The Beast
Almost speechless. Even with Gangland this album just doesn’t age. I remember thinking just before I first heard it that surely it couldn’t live up to the hype I had heard about it for x amount of years. It did that and more! I really can’t imagine life without this album, and it’s not even my favourite! Haha, what a band! 10/10

Piece of Mind
I know a lot of people rate this as their favourite and I can see why, but as an album its in the lower middle of my “Maiden chart.” It has got 2 of my all time faves on it, in Revelations *swoon* and The Trooper (sure, I’ve heard it a billion times but it still does it for me every time) and an honourable mention has to go to Still Life and Where Eagles Dare. I find that it lulls in places though, I’ve never really enjoyed Flight of Icarus and find Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel too cheesy to be able to disregard the cheesiness in order to see their good points, if you know what I mean. Reading the IM commentary has helped to a degree, as I now know more about the subject matter they were written about (I just thought it was a load of made up gobbledy goop at first to be honest *oops*) but I think the seed was planted a long time ago, so to speak. As a follow up to NoTB it does stand up extremely well but I really feel that the 3 songs I mentioned tarnish it as a “complete listening experience” though. Still, a respectable 8/10.

Powerslave
I first got this on tape and remember thinking “side 2 looks shorter than side 1” I mean, I had heard a bit about Rime… but no-one I had spoke to had informed me of it’s length. I could probably write a page on that one song (haha, couldn’t we all?) I don’t think there is a lot one can do in order to prepare to listen to this album. I mean, by the time I heard it I thought I’d heard enough metal/hard rock stuff over the years, and certainly by this time enough Iron Maiden, to know what to expect from my next purchase. There wasn’t a part of me that was prepared for the sheer genius of Dave and Adrian’s guitar work in this album though. The only song I’d heard before purchase was 2 minutes… on A Real Dead One. I loved it, obviously. I dare say I love each song on Powerslave just as much, apart from maybe Losfer Words. I like it but it would probably be my least fave instrumental after Genghis… and Transylvania. Even nowadays I get slightly taken by surprise by the way the “fast bit” kicks in at the start of Aces High, just after the 8 bar intro. It just makes me stop what I’m doing and sit up and take notice. Every. Time. The greatest opener they have I think, mainly for that reason. After that, to me anyway, it’s a smorgasbord of dual guitar bliss. I mean the triplet of songs starting with The Duellists, through to Back in the Village can almost be forgotten due to the “big 4” and disregarded as fillers. Other bands would sell their souls to have songs like this as the highlight of an album though, I think anyway. 9/10 though, as Losfer Words should’ve been a B side I think.

Somewhere in Time
My personal favourite. I love everything about this album. From the guitar synths, to Bruce’s voice (to me, it is the best he has ever sounded. Which I find slightly ironic with him not getting any writing credits.) to the artwork, to the futuristic style and feel of it. After hearing this album for the first time I thought that I would burst. I really couldn’t contain myself and must’ve had it on perpetual repeat for weeks. Even now I can listen to it a few times over the course of a few days and just not get bored with it.
From start to end, a total work of artistic genius. 10/10

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The “masterpiece” in the eyes of the rock world and, well that is exactly what it is really. 2 songs that don’t really “fit” for me though, those being Can I Play With Madness and The Prophecy (although for some reason Bruce’s singing gives me goosebumps in The Prophecy so it deserves a special mention.) It in no way ruins the album as an entity but I feel that, conceptually at least, some work could’ve been done on these 2 tracks that would’ve done the album even more justice. Every other song here though, to me, is a hands down Maiden classic and the thing I like about it is you don’t have to listen to the whole album to enjoy it, even thought it is a concept album the tracks stand up really well individually too! 9.5/10

No Prayer for the Dying
Ok, this album has a lot of sentimental value for me as it is the first Maiden album I heard. Indeed I hadn’t even heard an Iron Maiden song until I pushed the play button on my tape player and heard the dulcet tones of Tailgunner way back on that memorable day in 1992. I remember wanting an Iron Maiden record just to see what the fuss was about really, at the time I was heavily into Gn’R and Metallica (eek) and knew of Maiden’s standing but I was living in South Africa in my childhood and their popularity wasn’t such that I could readily hear them without actually buying them, - everything I’d been reading about was in imported music mags and such like. Anyway, I’m digressing again. It was one of the best things I had heard at the time, only really beaten by other superior Iron Maiden albums that I bought at a later date. I’ll talk about it from the way I feel today about the album though. There are good songs all the way through I think, but nothing that jumps out at you, grabs you buy the testes and swings you round the room in such a way that you need to sit down and re-evaluate your general view on life. All the other albums, for me, have a moment (or a lot of the time several moments) that does this so for this reason No Prayer… gets my lowest Maiden album rating, despite the oodles of sentiment I hold for it. 7/10

Fear of the Dark
This was the first “real time” release that I bought and at the time I wasn’t disappointed at all, but at the time I only had No Prayer… to compare it with so, again, I shall “review” it from today’s standpoint. Reading all the other entries here it looks like I’m with the majority as far as this album goes. As in it is reasonably inconsistent from start to finish, yet is saved by a few standout out tracks, Afraid to Shoot… FotD, BQoBD and Fear is the Key, I know a lot of people may regard this as one of the fillers to end all fillers but it really does something for me. Someone mentioned that they could’ve combined the best of NPfTD and FotD and made a belter of an album. I agree wholeheartedly. I think that would’ve really worked, not to the extent that we would’ve had another “golden age” classic on our hands but a 12/13 track “amalgamation” of the 2 albums would’ve got the point across better I feel, with the rest as B-sides maybe… The standout tracks do justify its 8/10 rating though.

The X Factor
First of all I’d like to voice my utter disdain for Simon Cowell! Thanks.
I hated this album when it came out, I was in denial though. No-one could replace Bruce, I mean how could they? I had only recently completed my “Bruce era” collection before I heard the news so in a fit of stroppy teenager rage I denounced Blaze Bailey and Iron Maiden without Bruce. Please forgive me, I was 15 at the time. I knew nothing. It is only in the last couple of years that I have learnt to appreciate this album’s magnitude, and indeed Blaze’s part in the Iron Maiden evolution. Sure, it takes a while to start growing maybe but once it does its almost exponential. It’s as though you realise overnight that, actually, there is not one dud on this album. From start to finish it is an all encompassing, enthralling listening experience and it holds up against, and in many ways surpasses some of the stuff in the “golden age” 9.5/10

Virtual XI
Much maligned would be the words I’d use to describe this. Like a few others it would seem, this was the album that completed my “studio album” collection. Mostly due to public reaction to it causing me to choose something else, it seemingly never being available in shops and me not buying any Blaze era stuff until about a year ago *blushes*  Boy was I surprised when I enjoyed it. What a pleasant surprise it was too! Although I must say Angel and the Gambler would be stone dead last in my “all time song” list, if I had such a list. I really don’t think though that it needs an awful lot in order to make it a brilliant album. The production could be a lot better and there is a lot of space in places that I think could’ve been utilised better musically, I too am one of the ones that believe Nicko should’ve hit a few more drums than he did but, in parts at least, it feels as though the others could’ve done a bit more to enhance it too. As far as the song writing and overall feel of the album goes though, there isn’t a lot to fault and in Futureal they had an opener to rival most openers. It really is a fun album to hear now and then and is something of a curveball after The X Factor. 7.5/10

Brave New World
I remember the effect this album had on me, and indeed rock music as a whole really. All of a sudden metal seemed to have a new face. Yet it was an old face. Haha. Talk about re-inventing the wheel! The Wicker Man single came out on the week of my 20th birthday. My girlfriend, sensing my impending joy probably, bought it for me and on the basis of that one song I was hooked all over again (at the time I’d been losing interest in rock music generally for several reasons I wont go into here, although the words “nu-metal” *shudder* may have had something to do with it. So this song probably has more sentimental value than most really just for putting me back on the “right path” and getting me excited about a rock release again.) Anyway, on to the album itself: I find it as an amalgamation of the “golden era” and everything that was good about the “decline” (as its put in IM commentary.) Some “hairs on the back of your neck standing upright” moments on here, Dream of Mirrors and Nomad are monsters worthy of knighthood while The Ghost of the Navigator is almost enough to give the Mariner a run for his money (not quuuuite though, lol.) In The Wicker Man I think they have their best opener since Aces High and, after Ides, Wrathchild and Murders.. I think the opening 3 are the best on any album anywhere. I can definitely see why they opened the set with them on the tour. Inevitably though this exhilaration can’t last forever and, as much as I appreciate Blood Brothers, it doesn’t do an awful lot for me musically but I really like the lyrics and story behind it so it more than makes up for any misgivings I have really. Of the rest The Thin Line… is a Dave Murray revelation, he really seemed to come into his own on this album though with a hand in 3 absolute belters! The Mercenary could easily be seen as a filler, but I think it has a lot of guile and energy which comes across really well on the Rock in Rio performance of it. Out of the Silent Planet explodes brilliantly and is an almost instant Maiden classic. I think The Fallen Angel is something of a filler, even though it is good. 9/10

Dance of Death
I’m not entirely sure what they were taking when they decided on the cover but, still, it’s only a cover I suppose. This has really grown on me over time, to the point where I would have to put it in my top 5. Obviously Paschendale mesmerised me from the off, as did the title track but of the others there was only No More Lies that stood out as something I wouldn’t readily skip more often than not. Having given it time I now appreciate most of the other tracks just as much. I really don’t know how I couldn’t see Montsegur for the classic it is for all that time. It is powerful to the point where it almost physically punches you in the solar plexus. Songs like Rainmaker, Face in the Sand and Gates of Tomorrow seem to have an underlying genius that only rears its head once you’ve all but written them off, and Journeyman seems to age like a fine wine. All in all a bit of a “shrouded” gem of an album I think. 9/10

A Matter of Life and Death
Like so many others I love this album. I mean truly LOVE it. Unbelievably amazing. It is by far the best album I have bought in a decade. I can’t think of anything to fault so I won’t, and I would run out of superlatives if I carried on. Some of the imagery it conjures up when listening to it is bordering on hallucinogenic in places. To release such a work after a 30 year career in rock music deserves something far more worthy than praise! If it was 3/4 years down the line I’m sure I would be professing this as my personal favourite. 10/10

Back