1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Album Ratings

Discussion in 'Commentary Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Liveone

Liveone Nomad

Wow!!! Only three for Killers.
    It's a great album...

2. Meliegree

Meliegree Dictionary lost in space and time… for now.

I don't like it very much as you can see but I think it's beacuse it's 50/50 for me. I love Phantom from the opera, Remember tomorrow, running free and wratchild but I hate rest.

3. Liveone

Liveone Nomad

That's fair. You gotta admit though that the cover of Killers is pretty badass though.

4. Meliegree

Meliegree Dictionary lost in space and time… for now.

Cover is amazing to be honest. For me it's in top 3 for sure.

Liveone likes this.
  5. Moonchild_14

Moonchild_14 Prowler

Right then. My turn.

16. A Matter Of Life And Death (2006)
    Right, say what you will about his album, but to me, this is the worst Maiden album. To me, it's just too...boring. Yes, they're a couple of good songs on the album...but that's it. A couple. Two. The sound quality isn't bad, but my main complaint with this album is that the songs just drone on and on and on. I think two or three songs could've been saved by just cutting 1½-3 minutes off of them.

Top Three Songs:
    1. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
    2. Different World
    3. ?????

Album rating: 3/10

15. The Final Frontier (2010)
    Okay, now to me, their is a considerable jump from AMOLAD, to this album, The Final Frontier. It's an alright album. It's got a few flaws, but most albums are bound to have a couple of duds in them. I really like Where The Wild Wind Blows on this record. It's a classic, good, long Iron Maiden song. In all of its 11 minutes, not once do I ever find myself getting bored with this song. A couple of highly underrated Iron Maiden songs are in this record as well, Isle of Avalon, and Starblind.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Where The Wild Wind Blows
    2. El Dorado
    3. Isle Of Avalon

Album Rating: 7/10

14. Dance Of Death (2003)
    Again, this isn't a bad album, and considering this is Iron Maiden, it's got some HUGE competition. But let's be honest for a minute, coming off of one of the best albums in the catalogue (Brave New World), and two huge tours (Brave New World , and Give Me Ed ...Till I'm Dead), you were probably expecting something a little better than Dance Of Death. It starts off quite well, with Wildest Dreams kicking things off, than Rainmaker, and No More Lies. Then it loses me with Montségur, and I don't ever really find my footing again until Face In The Sand (brilliant track by the way, HIGHLY underrated), and then Journeyman, the band's only fully acoustic track. Tracks like the title track, and Paschendale are good, but not memorable. All in all though, it's not a bad album, and I do listen to some songs of this album regularly.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Rainmaker
    2. No More Lies
    3. Face In The Sand

Album Rating: 7/10

13. No Prayer For The Dying (1990)
    Lots of people when this came out in 1990, were less than impressed. What with Adrian Smith leaving and Janick Gers entering, and the massive sound change. Course, the 1990s were hard for pretty much every metal band on the planet. Metallica was the only who stayed near the top, but look at all the change they under went. But this album isn't too bad. It's a downhill slide from Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, but it's still got some halfass tunes. I quite like tracks such as Tailgunner, Holy Smoke, No Prayer For The Dying, Bring Your Daughter, and Mother Russia. The only real duds on this one are Public Enema Number One, and Run Silent Run Deep. This one isn't a bad album either, and despite it being ranked in the lower half of this list, it's quite good.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Tailgunner
    2. Mother Russia
    3. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter

Album Rating: 7½/10

12. Killers (1981)
    Again, this is NOT a bad album. To me this album is just...too long. The sound quality is not the best, but better than the debut album. It's also got some good tracks on it, such as Wrathchild and Murders In The Rue Morgue. But then there are other tracks, such as Prodigal Son, that left me asking myself "What the hell was that??" This album feels just sort of pieced together. It probably would've been better to me if a couple songs were dropped, and just added as B-sides.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Killers
    2. Wrathchild
    3. Drifter

Album Rating: 7½/10

11. Virtual XI (1998)
    Now, on most lists, this album is either at the stone, dead bottom of the list, or damn close to it. I personally don't see why. It's a brilliant album. Blaze Hayley had some good vocals working here, Janick Gers and Dave Murray had brilliant guitar work here, and Steve Harris and Nicko McBrain were brilliant as normal. To me, the only song that appears as a dud to me, is Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger. This song, is like a train. It takes too long to get going, but when it does get going, it doesn't stop easily, and it's not real exciting either. Even The Angel And The Gambler is better than this, despite the two minutes consecutive of "Don't ya think I could save you, Don't ya think I could save you, Don't ya think I could save your life". But it's also got amazing tracks in it, such as Futureal, The Clansman, and the very underrated Como Estais Amigos.

Top Three Songs:
    1. The Clansman
    2. Como Estais Amigos
    3. Futureal

Album Rating: 7¾/10

10. Iron Maiden (1980)
    This is Iron Maiden's debut album. I don't really have too awful much to say about it. It's a pretty good album, despite the shitty audio quality, and it's got some good tracks on it, such as Prowler and Remember Tomorrow. To me, the only track I feel doesn't measure up properly to the rest of the songs, is Strange World, which is a "meh" song.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Sanctuary
    2. Prowler
    3. Phantom Of The Opera

Album Rating: 7¾/10

9. Fear Of The Dark (1992)
    This album takes a lot of shit, and it takes it quite often. I don't see why. Now, it isn't their best album, as it does have the single worst Iron Maiden song recorded, but it's far from the worst, and it's still got some damn good tunes on it. Weekend Warrior is the song I'm talking about when I say "the worst". It's the only song that is boring straight from the first second, up to the last. Fear Of The Dark, has filler tracks (The Apparition, The Fugitive, Fear Is The Key), but before, in between, and after, are great tracks. Most notably, one of the best Maiden songs ever, Fear Of The Dark. Others too, such as Be Quick Or Be Dead, From Here To Eternity , and another highly underrated song, Judas Be My Guide.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Fear Of The Dark
    2. Judas Be My Guide
    3. Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Album Rating: 8/10

8. The X Factor (1995)
    This album was of course, the first with Blaze Bayley on vocals, instead of Bruce Dickinson. To be honest, I like Blaze's vocals on these songs MUCH better than Bruce, apart from Sign Of The Cross. It's also the darkest of the Maiden discography, and you can tell that just from the opening few seconds of this album. Also, this album has FIVE of my most underrated Maiden songs, Look For The Truth, Blood On The World's Hand's, The Edge Of Darkness, 2 AM, and Fortunes Of War. All of which are great tracks. My two main complaints on his album are these: the guitars aren't loud enough, and what the hell is The Unbeliever doing on this album, and not Doctor, Doctor.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Sign Of The Cross
    2. Man Of The Edge
    3. 2 AM

Album Rating: 8/10

7. Piece Of Mind (1983)
    This was the first album to feature Nicko McBrain on the drums, instead of Clive Burr (RIP), and the opening track "Where Eagles Dare" is a great opener, to really, what is a great album. It's nothing but good old fashioned, drive hard classic metal, only slowing down for Sun And Steel, which even though is the worst track on the album, it's still a good track. All in all, if your looking for an album that is just plain, old school metal, look no further than Piece Of Mind.

Top Three Tracks:
    1. Revelations
    2. The Trooper
    3. Die With Your Boots On

Album Rating: 8½/10

6. Brave New World (2000)
    Now this, is what you call a grade A++ comeback album. The Blaze years, had sent Maiden down into the ditch, and who better to mend the problem, than with Bruce Dickinson, and Adrian Smith returning to the line up. This album is almost completely flawless, with the only two flaws being The Mercenary, and The Nomad. This album has great sound, Nicko McBrain kicks more ass in this album more than any other (mainly on The Wicker Man), and the melodies are to die for. This was Maiden in their second prime. The end of this album sees two massively underrated songs cap everything off: Out Of The Silent Planet, and The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, both of which are some of the most beautiful peices of music I've ever heard.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Brave New World
    2. Out Of The Silent Planet
    3. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate

Album Rating: 9/10

5. The Book Of Souls (2015)
    I was scared to death when I read on Loudwire.com, that Bruce Dickinson had cancer, as I'm sure the whole of the metal world was. But this album proves, that it's gonna take more than a little cancer, to kill Eddie, and the boys. Bruce kicked cancer's ass, and then came The Book Of Souls, which is the best Maiden album since 1988's Seventh Son. The kings of long songs, put three tracks on this album eclipsing 10 minutes (The Red 13:38, Title Track 10:31, and The Empire of Clouds 18:00), and for a group of people eligible for an AARP membership, they kick more ass then all the modern bands of today. If Eternity Should Fail, is a fantastic opener, and it doesn't ever lose momentum from there.

Top Three Songs:
    1. The Empire Of The Clouds
    2. If Eternity Should Fail
    3. The Great Unknown

Album Rating: 9½/10

4. Powerslave (1984)
    From the opening chords of Aces High, to the fade away on Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, this album is pure brilliance. It launched Iron Maiden's largest world tour of 188 dates around the world, including a performance in front of 300,000+ people at Rock In Rio. Everyone here, is firing on all cylinders, and they only go down from that on two tracks, Losfer Words, and The Duelists. Two filler tracks that even still, they contribute to the album, and are still half ass tracks.

Top Three Songs:
    1. 2 Minutes To Midnight
    2. Aces High
    3. Powerslave

Album Rating: 9½/10

3. The Number Of The Beast (1982)
    666...the number of the beast. Their really isn't any point in arguing against it, this was a HUGE album for not only Iron Maiden, but the entirety of the metal genre. Not a single track on this record is there, that I don't adore. Even Gangland and Invaders to me, are really, good tracks, and highly underrated. Then of course, we can't forget the massive classics, Run To The Hills, The Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, and even the sub-classics in Children Of The Damned, The Prisoner, and 22 Acacia Avenue.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
    2. Children Of The Damned
    3. Run To The Hills

Album Rating: 10/10

2. Somewhere In Time (1986)
    Now, I have a HUGE taste of music. Although Metallica, and Iron Maiden are my top two dogs by a landslide, I do enjoy some modern metal/rock (FFDP, Godsmack, System Of A Down, etc.). But I also enjoy 80s pop, 70s slow rock, and all the music you hear on a traditional classic rock station. In other words, keyboards are in a lot of my music. So when I first turned on this album, and heard Caught Somewhere In Time, it was an instant eargasim. And every single second is pure bliss. The sound of the guitars, is simply amazing. The worst song on this album is a history lesson. And even that, is shear greatness.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Caught Somewhere In Time
    2. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
    3. Sea Of Madness OR Stranger In A Strange Land

Album Rating: 11/10

1. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)
    I can't even think of all the words to describe the greatness of this album. The only reason this isn't a tie for first place with Somewhere In Time, is that this album has actual keyboards/synthesisers, instead of synthetic guitars. From the opening seconds of Moonchild, to the closing seconds of Only The Good Die Young (which sound almost exactly the same oddly enough), this album exceeds what it takes to make a great album. Every song on here I give a solid 10/10 except The Prophecy, which I give a 9½/10. This album has the forgotten Infinite Dreams, the live staples in The Evil That Men Do, Moonchild, and The Clairvoyant, and the epic title track, which is 9:57 of your life you'll never regret using. You really REALLY need to hear this album if you haven't for a while cause...wow.

Top Three Songs:
    1. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
    2. The Evil That Men Do
    3. The Clairvoyant OR Moonchild

Album Rating: 20/10

Forostar likes this.
  6. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

I like the above post for being different than the forum consensus, without ever falling into Play Classics tripe.

Forostar likes this.