1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 26, 2005.

1. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

New Derek Sherinian interview: http://proglodytes.com/2017/08/04/i...an-dream-theater-planet-x-and-sons-of-apollo/

'The dream was to always be in a cool rock band, not a prog rock band. DT was a great vehicle for me to gain international recognition, but I never envisioned myself growing old with those guys…ok, maybe Portnoy :) John found his cyborg soulmate in Jordan, and now Mike and I have Sons Of Apollo- everyone wins in the end!'

'Planet X was the result of me getting fired from DT, and wanting to form a technically superior band to stick it in their ass!!:) [...] Planet X broke harmonic and rhythmic ground for sure. To this day, I haven’t heard anything sicker instrumentally.'

About Sons Of Apollo:
    'I have been prodding Mike for the last five years to do this, as it always seemed like an obvious move to me. After being in the same band for 25 years, I get that Mike wanted to diversify and play with many different people, but now it is time for him to reclaim the throne of the genre that he invented. I am at his side to make sure that happens.'

'Sons Of Apollo is a very collaborative effort where everyone is encouraged to contribute. I brought a finished musical piece and many other starting points. We then went in the studio and put it all together. Ron Thal is an amazing writer and musician. I doubt that we will ever have a shortage of musical ideas.'

Are you planning on touring?
    'Extensively! SONS OF APOLLO will bring the show to as many people as possible.'

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

This is really good. Incredible guitar solo.

3. jazz from hell

Just came here to post it... It's good, perhaps a bit too 'hook-y', but for me it all depends on how they are live. That session with Burn etc. wasn't all that good imo.

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

This is really awesome. Way beyond my expectations. I'm getting some heavy newer-Symphony X vibes out of the vocals, too.

Considering Derek has been making "robot" comments about Jordan, these keyboards sound far too much like masturbating space monkeys.

5. jazz from hell

Hey, isn't that a bit unfair Mr. Knickbocker? Yes he said a few things about DT, but hey, they fired him. Portnoy as well, yes... .Mainly because FII was a bit of a flop, people blamed him for the album, and gave him the fingers live (also because his clothes weren't considered metal enough), so he got all the blame. But imo Derek's sounds are outstanding, great hearing him ripping his signature lead again, and during the guitar solo, he's good too.

Symphony X are good, yeah. sometimes sound like Yngwie, and it's very good, but neo-classical metal is not really my thing to be honest. And when they're heavier, like on Paradise Lost it just doesn't work so well for me. I even gave that CD away. Great singer, sure, but I much prefer Bruce from the nineties onwards.

6. Mosh

I wouldn't be against a Sons of Apollo thread

7. Detective Beauregard

Detective Beauregard Barrels of Rum! Black Powder!

That's quite the dig at both Jordan and John (I'm assuming Petrucci, although Myung is literally a cyborg). But he's right - Jordan is far too technical and in my opinion loses the feel of the song when he goes off-tangent into those random interludes and tasteless solos.

I disagree. There's a little bit, sure, but most of it is pretty tasteful. The keyboard lead-in to the (incredible) guitar solo is a fine example of playing with taste.

8. jazz from hell

Yea, Thal is fantastic, also Portnoy during his solo. Actually I much prefer the instrumental sections.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 1:54 AM
  9. Mosh

The instrumental stuff is awesome and I love Derek's keyboard tones.

10. jazz from hell

Been re-listening to it today. Ron Thal... had no idea about him before, had heard about Guns with DJ Ashba and Buckethead, but man, Ron Thal plays the shit! Very fusion-esque, I think I can hear Henderson and even Holdsworth. Great player.
    They should go more in this direction, with the singer as well. More jazz, no more power metal. IMO.

11. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

Besides, Ron is really a nice person. I've had the pleasure of attending a masterclass of his in late 1998 in Guingamp (you know, where Neymar made his French debut on Sunday ;) ). It was when he was making the promotion of his album Hands. If you have the opportunity to do some YouTube surfing, research:
    "Hands"
    "Drunk"
    "Freak"
    "Guitars SUCK!!!"
    "T-Jonez"
    "Ronald's Coming Back Now"
    "I Hate Me More Than I Love You"
    "What I Knew"
    "Ab-normal"
    "Real"
    "You're a Cactus"
    and remember, although he mops the floor with about any guitarist out there, his solo music is rather seldom about shredding and has often a lot of humour to it. Example:

12. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

Since I recently tuned down to D Standard, I decided to take up Endless Sacrifice. Really nice song as the core of it is comprised of arpeggiated chords and heavy riffs that are fun to play. The rhythm wankery section isn't too long or difficult either and provides just the right amount of challenge. The solos are impossible though :D. I wouldn't mind that if I could play the rest of the song in its entirety but the unison after the solos is also quite fast and I can't seem to be able to build enough speed to play it.
    I have realised that my playing speed in general has kind of come to a halt which is sad because I would like to be able to play some 'Trucci shred. I don't play as much daily as I used to so that may be the reason, and when I do play it's usually slower stuff. I guess there's a point where you really need to push yourself to develop more speed, as opposed to when you first start playing and get better and faster really quickly.

13. Detective Beauregard

The entire Symphony X catalog awaits you...

JudasMyGuide and MrKnickerbocker like this.
  14. Black Bart

So is Neil Young's... :D

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  15. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

I'll look into Candlelight Fantasia then.

16. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide A beggar, a hypocrite, Love reign o'er me

Please don't. Do Inferno, Seven or Fallen instead :p

17. Mosh

Been awhile since I've gone through their catalog, but I remember one of their easier songs actually being Divine Wings of Tragedy.

18. Black Bart

Done

19. Detective Beauregard

I love that song.