Dragonforce

Silky said:
DRAW!?  And you call yourself gr1m!  You must invoke the blasphemous souls of a thousand sinners to writhe on the paper and write it IN THEIR OWN BLOOD.  At night and in the black forest of AZZZZZGGGHHHHHYYY, of course.
I didn't want to make heads explode when they read it Silky, so draw seemed the most natural word to use. Thanks to you, many mothers, fathers, husbands and wives are going to walk in to find their loved one's brains sliding down their monitor as they read something so gr1m and kreig that they couldn't comprehend it. Thanks for being so considerate Silky >:[

Silky said:
Ummm...[think, Silky, think!]....DragonForce, eh? :help:
Tehy paly teh geetarz reeeely fast :applause:

And for Mav, I find that the latest two albums are too fast and each song doesn't vary enough. That being said, Valley of The Damned is a jewel of an album and is Dragonforce at their best. I generally hate wank-metal as you so aptly described it, and the likes of Vai, Malmsteen and whoever else go through my head but before passing judgement make sure you've listened to Valley. Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself all over this thread? :huh:

Hunlord said:
I didn't want to make heads explode when they read it Silky, so draw seemed the most natural word to use. Thanks to you, many mothers, fathers, husbands and wives are going to walk in to find their loved one's brains sliding down their monitor as they read something so gr1m and kreig that they couldn't comprehend it. Thanks for being so considerate Silky >:[
:yey: I mean... :( :rolleyes:

Hunlord said:
And for Mav, I...(blah blah)...Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself all over this thread? :huh:

Because this thread is mirroring DragonForce's repetitiveness and lack of creativity with it's own repetitveness! :D
Well, how much can you actually say about a band that really has two songs that they can play, and a couple of over-extended solos with vocals and drums attached? :rolleyes:

To get back on topic, I'll give my opinion on Dragonforce.

This band is a pain to listen to. The sheer speed of their songs completely kills any melody that might be there and make listening to more than half a song in one go a dreadful experience. They may be fast and technical, but I really think that Wank-Metal simply isn't my cup of tea.

That was my twopence...   :innocent:

Oh, I'm repeating myself!  :-[

Alot of their song do sound the same, but they still rock imo. The sheer speed at which they play can be a bit extream at times though.

But regardless, they would be cool to see live. I'm still kind of ticked I didn't get to see them when they came around here.

I only listened to Valley of the Damned, but one song at a time is enough, thank you... I couldn't stand the whole album, it just bores you with its speed...

One song at a time? ha. I can listen to the whole cd but maybe once a month. It isn't that the speed bores me, more like, yeah they are fast... and?

I just listened to Dragonforce for the first time, their latest album, and I have to say I love it. I really like the lyrics, speed, vocals, and music. The speed can sometimes get a bit crazy, and most of the songs sound alike, but I still think it's great.

EDIT: Well, I haven't got a new CD in a few months, so basically in the last two or three days I've listened to this album AT LEAST 7 times. I've been listening to it on my computer, and I noticed I keep self concisely pressing 3. You see, lately I've been playing "The Sims 2," a lot on my computer. In that game you press 3 to fast forward. See a connection? I really love Inhuman Rampage, but I keep accidently pressing that button. Is the problem that deep inside my mind I'm getting bored? When I focus on listening to it I never fast forward.

or it could be that I've gotten very little sleep in the last two days.

All I know is that DragonForce is by far the best thing to come out of England (if only partially at that) since Maiden.  Probably my favourite band right now.

Once your ears get used to the speed, you'll be able to distinguish all the melodies and riffs that before may have just sounded like noise.
I still remember when a buddy of mine first played me "My Spirit..."  - I was blown away!  And now that song sounds to me like one of their slowest and most simple.

Can't wait to see them again in Sept.

Dr. G said:
All I know is that DragonForce is by far the best thing to come out of England (if only partially at that) since Maiden.  Probably my favourite band right now.

Their Guitarist is from hong kong, their keyboardist is Ukranian, their singer is 'Saaf Affrikan', and their Bassist is French.  'Country of origion: UK' is best used very lightly... ;)

And as for 'since Iron Maiden'...

Anathema
Biomechanical
Blitzkrieg
Diamond Head
Bolt Thrower
Bruce Dickinson
Cronos
Venom
Diamond Head
Witchfinder General
Paradise Lost
Gama Bomb
Motorhead
My Dying Bride
Napalm Death
Orange Goblin
..and Ozric Tentacles

These are supposedly superseded by DragonForce?  I think you need to rework your appraisal, my friend! ;)

Albie said:
...and

Carcass
Cathedral
Xentrix
Wolfsbane
Acid Reign

Plus a few others.

Forgot about Carcass and Wolfsbane.  Although I'm not that much of a fan of grindcore.  Surely BLAZE is U.K. based, too?

Silky said:
Surely BLAZE is U.K. based, too?
Most definitely UK based. We may find he used English musicians on the whole, so they could be English (the band, that is).

But lets not get too pedantic about it.

Dr. G said:
Once your ears get used to the speed, you'll be able to distinguish all the melodies and riffs that before may have just sounded like noise.
You do realize this is a heavy metal forum, right? We're all accustomed to speed. Most of us like it a lot. For those of us who think Dragonforce is crap, speed is not the reason.

Silky said:
And as for 'since Iron Maiden'...

Anathema
Biomechanical
Blitzkrieg
Diamond Head
Bolt Thrower
Bruce Dickinson
Cronos
Venom
Diamond Head
Witchfinder General
Paradise Lost
Gama Bomb
Motorhead
My Dying Bride
Napalm Death
Orange Goblin
..and Ozric Tentacles
Gama Bomb are from Newry, and I think that makes them "Free Staters" if I'm not mistaken. Also two of them are from Dublin so :p

As for bands:
Sabbat
Re-Animator
:uhm:
....... :p

Hunlord said:
Gama Bomb are from Newry, and I think that makes them "Free Staters" if I'm not mistaken. Also two of them are from Dublin so :p

As for bands:
Sabbat
Re-Animator
:uhm:
....... :p

Newry is in Northern Ireland.  Therefore that makes them U.K. based, at least. ;)

I stand by my comments.

DragonForce does not suck at song-writing, though some of their lyrics are cheesy.  Everything about DF is melodic - the fact that they play it so fast, leads to some people not being able to immediatelly recognize the melodies, riffs, etc.

Anyway, I like positive / uplifting energy they bring, esp. live.

Silky said:
Their Guitarist is from hong kong, their keyboardist is Ukranian, their singer is 'Saaf Affrikan', and their Bassist is French.  'Country of origion: UK' is best used very lightly... ;)
To be fair Silky, Herman has lived in the UK for most of his life.  He and Sam are the backbone of the band and they are both British.  Also, in your list, you mentioned Motorhead who were formed before Maiden ;) Venom and Diamond are also NWOBHM bands so they hit the scene areound the same time as Maiden.  Bruce Dickinson is in Iron Maiden :rolleyes:
Give the guy a break ;)

Dr. G said:
...the fact that they play it so fast, leads to some people not being able to immediatelly recognize the melodies, riffs, etc.
You do realize this is a heavy metal forum, right? We're all accustomed to speed. Most of us like it a lot. For those of us who think Dragonforce is crap, speed is not the reason.

Silky said:
Newry is in Northern Ireland.  Therefore that makes them U.K. based, at least. ;)
You're just picking hairs.............or not. Anyway they're not English based, as the question was about English bands not U.K. bands.
Now thats what I call picking hairs

And this is a thread where everything that a person says gets repeated over and over, or so I've found. I pointed out a few pages ago and as Silky said, it reminds you of Dragonforce themselves. Very deep indeed ;)

Back