Dragonforce

[!--quoteo(post=133082:date=Mar 27 2006, 05:29 PM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Mar 27 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]133082[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Ah, the bitter elitism is strong in us. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /] I wonder whether will they ruin the up and coming Maiden concert at The Point... Jeez, don't I sound like Mav? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /] Anyway, I haven't got round to acquiring the new DF album yet but I do have high hopes for it.
[/quote]
I have an idea. We can go round and beat the shit out of anybody who tries "moshing". What about it BD and Hunny? ::

That's exactly like the rules go: "No mosh, no core, no trends, no fun." That's a capital idea. I'll bring enough corpsepaint for everyone! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=133088:date=Mar 27 2006, 05:50 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 27 2006, 05:50 PM) [snapback]133088[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I have an idea. We can go round and beat the shit out of anybody who tries "moshing". What about it BD and Hunny? ::
[/quote]

Sometimes, I really feel the need to do that you know. Damn Metal Hammer magazine telling all these stupid yuppie dorks about what they consider to be "metal". [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /] Putting Avenged Sevenfold on the cover of your magazine and still calling it a metal magazine is pretty rich. Terrorizer and Zero Tolerance are passable but Metal Hammer and Kerrang are jokes. As well as Scuzz and Headgiver's Ball. Kids and their pre-packed images these days. It seem that marketing are out to make victims of them all as usual. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"<_<\" border=\"0\" alt=\"dry.gif\" /] Plus they expect real metal heads to smoke pot and do other such things. Funny when I don't tell them I do anything like that, they reply "BUT OFGM UR DA ROK AN ROWL GUI!11"

Okay, you get the picture, kids are idiots and I got out the wrong side of bed this morning. That's my grumpy rant for now. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

NP: Immolation - Lost Passion

Some could accuse you of elitism BD, but I won't even get into how that is worse than "McDonalds Metal" ::

The amount of emos around me at Maiden in the RDS in August was un-fucking-real! All screaming for manson and the like style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":angry:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"mad.gif\" /] :: They tried to ruin it for me (and failed miserably).
Well not this time! I'll be bringing Buela:[img src=\"http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Hunlord/skull-maceside-2609.jpg
That'll learn 'em good!

[!--quoteo(post=133212:date=Mar 28 2006, 05:35 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 28 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]133212[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Some could accuse you of elitism BD, but I won't even get into how that is worse than "McDonalds Metal" ::
[/quote]

That accusation isn't really anything new to be honest. I'm just a bit picky that's all, but I do get annoyed when people always say "OMGZ U JUZ H8 TEH BAND NOW CUZ DEYR POPULER" but the fact of the matter is that in many cases it's true like that. By the way, nice weapon you got there Hunlord. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Cheers, her name is Buela and she likes the blood of emos and false ones. I'm sure you have something like her yourself, I mean how else do you go about your nightly kvlt, nekro slayings?

Going outside without a weapon is like going outside without any pants on. Simple as that. style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

[img src=\"http://oingoboingo.servebeer.com/uploaded_images/Varg-vikernes-789230.jpg
Like my kvlt nekro weapon? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

The name is too kvlt to disclose on a board as mainstream as this. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Either way, we should get back on topic before the thread veers off into the abyss of Christendom.

[!--quoteo(post=133223:date=Mar 28 2006, 06:24 PM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Mar 28 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]133223[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The name is too kvlt to disclose on a board as mainstream as this. style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":P\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Either way, we should get back on topic before the thread veers off into the abyss of Christendom.
[/quote]
I hope my precious [b]rectumifyer[/b] will get some good esercise come December:
[img src=\"http://www.halloweencostumes4u.com/hallowee/closeups/651.jpg

[!--quoteo(post=133081:date=Mar 27 2006, 05:21 PM:name=Hunlord)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Hunlord @ Mar 27 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]133081[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I had all these children knocking into my back trying to "mosh" (moshing to them is running accross an empty circle and saying to their luttle buddies "WOW! That was soooo raaadd mann!!!!!!") ::
[/quote]

These heretics must learn the 10 Commandments of moshing. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /]

I. Thou shalt have no other god but the music.
II. Thou shalt make unto thee as many graven images as possible.
III. Thou shalt not take the purpose of the horde with which thee trod in vain.
IV. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
V. Honor thy fallen brother (or sister).
VI. Thou shalt not kill.
VII. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
VIII. Thou shalt not steel. (no, that's not a spelling mistake [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /])
IX. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
X. Thou shalt not covet any thing that is thy neighbor's.

Okay, towards the end it putters out a little but you get the picture. Another reason for me to complain, oh joy!

[!--quoteo(post=133081:date=Mar 27 2006, 05:21 PM:name=Hunlord)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Hunlord @ Mar 27 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]133081[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
That was my problem exactly! I was at the Dublin gig there two weeks ago and I was totally surrounded by all these little false ones. Never in my life was I that pissed off! As I was trying to enjoy the gig, I had all these children knocking into my back trying to "mosh" (moshing to them is running accross an empty circle and saying to their luttle buddies "WOW! That was soooo raaadd mann!!!!!!") ::
[/quote]

Ditto! And ditto to Black Dragon... I have views on Dragonforces direction that I only reveal to close friends... I dont want to upset certain people.

Screw "certain people" one should always be honest. If your honest opinion doesn't sit well with "others" well... f%$# them. We've discussed Metallica's selling out or lack there of to death, as well as other bands. We've said how Run to the Hills rules or sucks ass, I think we can handle a little DragonForce tidbit of information.

I heard a few Dragonforce songs, Nothing really stood out for me and anyway I'm leaning towards Bal Sagoth at the moment.

I find them abit more enjoyable, Even though BS's Lyrics can be just as dopey as DF's.

I was skimming through this thread (I don't have the time or patience to read all 100+ posts), and I didn't notice anyone discussing how terrible Dragonforce's vocalist is.  How can such amazing musicians get stuck with a crappy singer?  Don't get me wrong, I really like them (Evening Star is one of my all time favs), but that guy sucks.

Maiden Madness said:
I was skimming through this thread (I don't have the time or patience to read all 100+ posts), and I didn't notice anyone discussing how terrible Dragonforce's vocalist is.  How can such amazing musicians get stuck with a crappy singer?  Don't get me wrong, I really like them (Evening Star is one of my all time favs), but that guys sucks.
I think he is a great vocalist.  I don't know what people don't like about him.  He's usually drowned out by the guitar heavy rhythm section in any case.

Conor said:
I think he is a great vocalist.  I don't know what people don't like about him.  He's usually drowned out by the guitar heavy rhythm section in any case.

The whole problem with his voice is it's too one-dimensional and put-on.  With bands like Iced Earth you have Matt Barlow's immense power, or with Blind Guardian Hansi Kursch's beautifully tortured vocals.  With Dragonforce it just feels too put-on, and this comes through in the music as well.  I don't want to listen to 8 songs on an album that sound nearly identical, nor do I want to hear constant solo wankery that no-one is going to possibly remember or be able to tab-some of the best solos I have heard are the slower ones or the simpler ones, in things like Creeping Death by Metallica.  Essentially, a solo should be a display of songwriting and technical skill by the artist-which is also why I dislike improvised solos, as they are (for the most part) completely forgetable.  Basically, while I do like the odd spot of Dragonforce, I'm getting pissed off at the media attention they get when there are far superior power metal bands out there in the shadows.  And their antics are completely crap.  When I read an interview about a band I like, I don't want to hear about them getting off with female fans or making sexual jokes 24/7, I want to hear some proper fucking discussion.  That said, this was in MetalHammer (I was bored in the airport, and thought It'd be better than 'Kerrang!', okay?), but even still, at least the In Flames interview had some substance and discussion in it.  And don't get me started on the Avenged Sevenfold 'feature'... :puke:
[/rant]

Silky said:
The whole problem with his voice is it's too one-dimensional and put-on.  With bands like Iced Earth you have Matt Barlow's immense power, or with Blind Guardian Hansi Kursch's beautifully tortured vocals.  With Dragonforce it just feels too put-on, and this comes through in the music as well.  I don't want to listen to 8 songs on an album that sound nearly identical, nor do I want to hear constant solo wankery that no-one is going to possibly remember or be able to tab-...Basically, while I do like the odd spot of Dragonforce, I'm getting pissed off at the media attention they get when there are far superior power metal bands out there in the shadows.  And their antics are completely crap.  When I read an interview about a band I like, I don't want to hear about them getting off with female fans or making sexual jokes 24/7, I want to hear some proper fucking discussion.
[/rant]
I dislike their antics and their media attention recently aswell but that isn't why I listen to music.  I like the insane solos and the fast rhythm sections.  It is not everybody's cup of tea and yes, it does get a bit boring after a while but DragonForce aren't trying to set the world alight with initiative... it's the same with Maiden.  IM have produced the same album 10 times at least, just with a couple of different singers.

Lack of variation does not mean bad music in all cases :ph34r:

Conor said:
I dislike their antics and their media attention recently aswell but that isn't why I listen to music.  I like the insane solos and the fast rhythm sections.  It is not everybody's cup of tea and yes, it does get a bit boring after a while but DragonForce aren't trying to set the world alight with initiative... it's the same with Maiden.  IM have produced the same album 10 times at least, just with a couple of different singers.

Lack of variation does not mean bad music in all cases :ph34r:

Good point, although I think there's a difference between Iron Maiden's consistency and DragonForce's lack of variation.  While Maiden stick to the same general formula of twin guitars, fast pace, strong galloping bassline and try to change the song structure while keeping the same 'Maiden' sound, DragonForce seem to churn out the same old fast-as-possible solo wankery day-in, day-out (except for their ballads, and I don't really want to go there :p ).  But maybe I just haven't listened enough to them.  I love their songs individually, for the most part, but it's the fact that their albums sound very much the same and don't really do anything new with the genre, musically or lyrically-it's more like the musicians are living a decadent lifestyle off their virtuoso skills and no real lyric or songwriting skill, and we all know where that will lead (*cough*Yngwie*cough*).  I just hope that when they write their new album, they try and do something a bit different from the first three.  'Course, I would vastly prefer DF to, say, Trivium, but I think they're one of those young bands that gets too much media attention, similar to all the metalcore bands.  But if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets....
(except for me, I'd catch one and poison the water, but not before I had wished for a billion more wishes :wacko:)

Back