Which song will win?

• Run To The Hills

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Empire Of The Clouds

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
10 - Paschendale

Paschendale is another one of those songs which manages to get the atmosphere just right, but it does it in an odd way I'd almost criticise any other song for doing. The way it achieves this is through an almost modular form of songwriting; I always view this song as several distinct "chunks" that are put together by use of dynamic changes; either very distinct changes in volume and intensity or through silence and Nicko's trademark (on this song, anyway) drum ripple he opens it up with. On one hand it doesn't create a flow or sustained progression throughout the song, but on the other it does manage to paint a very convincing picture, using the dynamics to shift between the desperate charges and the trenches.

The intro is what I consider one of the trench parts. The guitar melody is wonderfully bleak, with the sparsity of the bass and drums really adding to that sense of desperation. And it's almost instantly juxtaposed at 0:29 with one of the high-octane "charging" sections of music, as suddenly over as it began. This time round, we get some keyboard to add to the morose atmosphere for some great texture. Paschendale appreciates the flourishes like this, and I am a big fan of the orchestral version from the No More Lies EP. We get another charging section, before we reach a second, heavier style of verse.

This verse feels less desperate than before, but equally as tense. The keyboards do good work here and 1:36 sees the tension reach its climax as the charge begins, before returning to the verse again. 1:57 sees more wonderful keyboard work, and then we get to the chorus. The highlight of the chorus here isn't actually any of the band members here - though they do good work, and this is a nice cohesive chorus that suits the song. The highlight for me is the faint keyboards underneath that seem to be the main melody here.The post chorus section sees more tension build up before another charge at 2:50, this one longer than the others and bringing us to 3:16, and what I consider the end of the first section of the song.

After another Nicko peal, we get a guitar melody that doesn't really seem to match either of the moods I described earlier, but is good nonetheless. This is followed by some riffage that really appreciates the orchestral backup, before the "cruelty has a human heart" verse section. The lyrics are very powerful, but I don't think the music here quite matches that power until Bruce sings "and over we goooo" for perhaps the most haunting moment of the song.

Then, we get into the instrumental section. The first riff that plays is a really nice use of dynamics, and segues into the first of Paschendale's great solos, backed up with some understated keyboard work. The second solo is the better one, and segues nicely into the "blood is falling like the rain" section. This is an odd climax, as it sounds almost triumphant to me. Likely me misconstruing the mood, but there we go. One final solo, another charging verse section, and we return to the chorus for a couple more run throughs. The second adds some good emphasis to the vocals, and allows for the tension to be filtered out, as the song and battle ends, leaving only the bleak opening riff (and keyboards) to play out to bring the song to a close.

To its credit, Paschendale is incredibly accessible for a song over 8 minutes long, something I credit to Adrian's repetition of key musical motifs throughout the song, such as the bleak opening guitars. It's the song that got me into the entire Dance of Death album, and it's their best war song in my opinion due to its meticulous attention to atmosphere. Other songs (such as The Longest Day) have some fantastic musical motifs that I think reflect the theme of war really nicely but I don't think they maintain it as well as this song does.

I've always supposed the orchestral version wasn't released on the album because they intended to play it live, and due to a lack of an orchestra wanted the album version to sound as the live version. I can understand that, though personally I really appreciate the extra texture that the orchestral version brings. I'm similarly a fan of said versions of Dance of Death, but I feel they make a much more noticeable difference here.

Top 25:

25 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
24 - The Edge Of Darkness
23 - Revelations
22 - Judas Be My Guide
21 - Lord Of Light
20 - Judgement Of Heaven
19 - The Red And The Black
18 - Blood Brothers
17 - Wasted Years
16 - Face In The Sand
15 - The Number Of The Beast
14 - The Talisman
13 - Shadows Of The Valley
12 - Killers
11 - Aces High
10 - Paschendale

Songs Remaining:

Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Flight of Icarus
Powerslave
Infinite Dreams
Fear Of The Dark
Dance of Death
Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
Empire of the Clouds

@DJMayes - For context, when did you get into Maiden and in what order did you initially discover the albums? Just curious.

I couldn't really make a list like this and rank the tunes on song writing merits alone because nostalgia & good memories/crap memories from the associated time period come into play for me.

@DJMayes - For context, when did you get into Maiden and in what order did you initially discover the albums? Just curious.

I couldn't really make a list like this and rank the tunes on song writing merits alone because nostalgia & good memories/crap memories from the associated time period come into play for me.

My first experience with Iron Maiden was probably around 2008, maybe 2009. I got the Rock Band video game for Christmas, and one of the last songs on there was a cover version of Run To The Hills. When I learned it was a cover version I decided to look up the real thing, and from there got a collection of the bands hits. At some point I decided to get the full albums, and also got The Final Frontier on release. Between then and The Book Of Souls I got the remaining Bruce albums, and I can't quite remember when I got the Blaze and Dianno albums other than that they are also quite recent additions.

So, a very rough timeline:

Initial Albums:
- The Number of the Beast
- Piece of Mind
- Powerslave
- Somewhere In Time
- Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
- No Prayer For The Dying
- Fear Of The Dark
- Brave New World

- The Final Frontier

- Dance Of Death

- A Matter of Life and Death

Latecomers:

- All the rest

#9 will be posted tonight guys; I'm not forgetting about it, just giving it time to stew and generate some discussion whilst I get on with other things.

My first experience with Iron Maiden was probably around The Final Frontier, maybe The Final Frontier. I got the The Final Frontier for Christmas, and one of the songs on there was The Final Frontier. When I learned it was The Final Frontier I decided to look up The Final Frontier, and from there got The Final Frontier. At some point I decided to get The Final Frontier, and also got The Final Frontier on release. Between The Final Frontier and The Final Frontier I got The Final Frontier, and I can't quite remember when I got The Final Frontier and The Final Frontier other than that they are also quite recent additions.

So, a very rough timeline:

Initial Album:
The Final Frontier

Latecomer:
The Final Frontier

Trooper's been replaced, The Beast's been erased,
Songs with no chance of getting a play,
One record gets spun, Final Frontier's the one,
Like Icarus before it or so legend goes
I think of Still Life, The Ides Of March,
Songs I won't play whilst Frontier is on,
I've had a good time, let's play it again
Maybe I'll be back some time my friends...

9 - Flight Of Icarus

Flight of Icarus is a heartbreaking story about the hubris of man. One man in particular, and that man is neither Icarus nor Daedalus.

That man is Steve Harris.

Let me explain. Initially, I thought this song was a dual composition between Steve and Bruce, and the two never agreed on the tempo to play it at, which led to it being shelved. It's a sorry state of affairs for such a wonderful song, but it was an outcome I could understand.

Then, of course, I learned that Steve isn't actually credited on the song at all. Rather, he was insistent on tampering with a song that wasn't his when there was nothing to suggest it didn't work - the chart positions tell that story - and it caused enough conflict that the song hasn't been played live in a very long time. I'm not going to speculate on whether there were ulterior motives, but all I want to say is this: Steve's decisions (no, I don't believe Nicko had that much influence even if he cites the song as his least favourite) have robbed the crowds of an absolute classic for years to come. I absolutely respect the man as a songwriter and the leader of my favourite band but with his song he proved that nobody is perfect.

This song eschews a traditional intro to get right into some heavy, mid-tempo riffing. It's a powerful statement, and works to great effect (yes Steve, it does). It's over shortly, with the guitars giving way to the verse as early as 10 seconds in.

The verses to this song are utterly spectacular. The slow basswork is a real treat, and Bruce's vocals are incredible. The reintroduction of the guitars to the second half of the verse gives a great build up before launching into the songs equally powerful chorus.

Rather than a soaring one, the chorus is very much a more diluted affair, with some sort of layered vocal work going on. It's a good choice, as I feel the air raid siren would've contrasted too much with the much more conservative instrumental work throughout this song. That's not to say Bruce doesn't get a chance to shine though, with some excellent vocal work in the post-chorus (with e.g. the Mmmhmm at 0:58).

The second verse is very similar, but I really want to mention one lyric - "In the name of god my father I'll fly!". The delivery of this is utterly superb. The rest of the verse is stronger in my opinion, sung with a little more power and conviction with Bruce that matches the more powerful nature of the lyrics here.

The second chorus segues nicely into the solo. The first is really nice and matches the tempo well. The second is similarly strong, and connects nicely to the third chorus. The repeat of this chorus sees some really nice vocal work at the end of alternating lines that helps to mark it out amongst the others, and then goes into the best bit of the song, the outro solo. This has some beautiful melodies building up to the amazing section at 3:18 all the way up to the end, where we are led out by Bruce's brilliant falsetto.

I could rant about the injustice of this song a bit more, but instead let's talk Piece of Mind as a whole. It's not always been the case, but over time I've come to feel it's the worst of the classic era albums. It doesn't match up to the sheer number of classics from The Number of the Beast and Powerslave; nor does it come close to the consistency of Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. There's definitely a lot to love, don't get me wrong, but the album definitely has its flaws. The album also has perhaps the worst track ordering Maiden have ever done with how ridiculously front loaded it is.

Still, perhaps my negativity towards this album is all stemming from my current lukewarm feelings towards The Trooper, and when they pass I'll be wondering why I ever said this. We'll see.

Top 25:

23 - Revelations
22 - Judas Be My Guide
21 - Lord Of Light
20 - Judgement Of Heaven
18 - Blood Brothers
17 - Wasted Years
16 - Face In The Sand
14 - The Talisman
12 - Killers
11 - Aces High
10 - Paschendale
9 - Flight Of Icarus

Songs Remaining:

Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Powerslave
Infinite Dreams
Fear Of The Dark
Dance of Death
Empire of the Clouds

What's frustrating is that Maiden "make their own hits". FOI could easily be part of (or added to) the 'sacred four' that the band always plays live (NOTB, Trooper, IM, Hallowed). I think Steve's perception/ego got the best of him on this one.

None of their songs in the 80s garnered radio/MTV familiarity (sans possibly RTTH) that put commercial pressure on them to play specific songs that I could discern. I recall in the 80s that no one thought that the Trooper or TNOTB were necessarily 'better' songs than Flight Of Icarus or 22 Acacia Avenue etc... What happened was that as the band had to drop songs due to set list limitations which each subsequent tour, the ones that stayed "became" the classics (at least that was my impression - keep in mind there was no internet back then and I only had my school as a sample set so I'm sure mileage varied elsewhere with other old timers).

Last edited:
I agree with Steve on this one. The song drags on even when played faster (as on LAD), just doesn't "flow"
Then again, it's like the 6th or 7th best song on its album, so no harm done dropping it

DJMayes' album order of last appearance
01) No Prayer for the Dying (favourite song: Bring Your Daughter .... To the Slaughter, 60)
02) Virtual XI (favourite song: The Clansman, 44)
03) Iron Maiden (favourite song: Prowler, 26)
04) A Matter of Life and Death (favourite song: Lord of Light, 21)
05) The X-Factor (favourite song: Judgement of Heaven, 20)
06) Brave New World (favourite song: Blood Brothers, 18)
07) Somewhere in Time (favourite song: Wasted Years, 17)
08) Killers (favourite song: Killers, 12)
09) Piece of Mind (favourite song: Flight of Icarus, 9)

DJMayes' album order of first appearance
01) No Prayer for the Dying (least favourite song: Mother Russia, 160)
02) The X-Factor (least favourite song: Blood on the World's Hands, 159)
03) Powerslave (least favourite song: The Duellists, 158)
04) The Number of the Beast (least favourite song: Gangland, 156)
05) Brave New World (least favourite song: The Nomad, 154)
06) Killers (least favourite song: Innocent Exile, 150)
07) Piece of Mind (least favourite song: Quest for Fire, 149)
08) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (least favourite song: The Prophecy, 148)
09) Iron Maiden (least favourite song: Running Free, 146)
10) The Final Frontier (least favourite song: Isle of Avalon, 143)
11) Fear of the Dark (least favourite song: Fear is the Key, 139)
12) A Matter of Life and Death (least favourite song: The Legacy, 136)
13) Virtual XI (least favourite song: Como Estais Amigos, 127)
14) Dance of Death (least favourite song: New Frontier, 125)
15) Somewhere in Time (least favourite song: Alexander the Great, 104)

16) The Book of Souls (least favourite song: The Man of Sorrows, 102)
Top 100:
There are no full albums in the top 100 of DJMayes complete ranking of Maiden songs.
There are no full albums outside this top 100.
Top 50:
There is one full album outside the top 50 (No Prayer for the Dying). All other albums have at least one song in the top 50.
Top 25:
There are 3 full albums outside the top 25 (No Prayer for the Dying, Virtual XI, Iron Maiden). All other albums have at least one song in the top 25.
Top 20:
There are 4 full albums outside the top 20 (No Prayer for the Dying, Virtual XI, Iron Maiden, A Matter of Life and Death). All other albums have at least one song in the top 20.
Top 15:
There are 7 full albums outside the top 15:

1. Iron Maiden
2. No Prayer for the Dying
3. Virtual XI
4. A Matter of Life and Death
5. The X-Factor
6. Brave New World
7. Somewhere in Time

All other albums (9) have at least one song in the top 15.
There are 8 full albums outside DJMayes' Top 10. In execution order:
1. No Prayer for the Dying
2. Virtual XI
3. Iron Maiden
5. The X-Factor
6. Brave New World
7. Somewhere in Time
8. Killers

All other albums (8) have at least one song in the top 10. These albums are, in order of release:

The Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Fear of the Dark
Dance of Death
The Final Frontier
The Book of Souls

Three colours are present: Eighties with Bruce (50%), nineties with Bruce (10%) and music from the current line-up (40%). No Di'Anno era material, no Blaze era material.
DJMayes' non-album song order of appearance
01) Invasion, 153
02) Virus, 151
03) Burning Ambition, 135
04) I Live My Way, 132
05) Justice of the Peace, 124
06) Judgement Day, 114

10 - Paschendale

Paschendale is another one of those songs which manages to get the atmosphere just right, but it does it in an odd way I'd almost criticise any other song for doing. The way it achieves this is through an almost modular form of songwriting; I always view this song as several distinct "chunks" that are put together by use of dynamic changes; either very distinct changes in volume and intensity or through silence and Nicko's trademark (on this song, anyway) drum ripple he opens it up with. On one hand it doesn't create a flow or sustained progression throughout the song, but on the other it does manage to paint a very convincing picture, using the dynamics to shift between the desperate charges and the trenches.

The intro is what I consider one of the trench parts. The guitar melody is wonderfully bleak, with the sparsity of the bass and drums really adding to that sense of desperation. And it's almost instantly juxtaposed at 0:29 with one of the high-octane "charging" sections of music, as suddenly over as it began. This time round, we get some keyboard to add to the morose atmosphere for some great texture. Paschendale appreciates the flourishes like this, and I am a big fan of the orchestral version from the No More Lies EP. We get another charging section, before we reach a second, heavier style of verse.

This verse feels less desperate than before, but equally as tense. The keyboards do good work here and 1:36 sees the tension reach its climax as the charge begins, before returning to the verse again. 1:57 sees more wonderful keyboard work, and then we get to the chorus. The highlight of the chorus here isn't actually any of the band members here - though they do good work, and this is a nice cohesive chorus that suits the song. The highlight for me is the faint keyboards underneath that seem to be the main melody here.The post chorus section sees more tension build up before another charge at 2:50, this one longer than the others and bringing us to 3:16, and what I consider the end of the first section of the song.

After another Nicko peal, we get a guitar melody that doesn't really seem to match either of the moods I described earlier, but is good nonetheless. This is followed by some riffage that really appreciates the orchestral backup, before the "cruelty has a human heart" verse section. The lyrics are very powerful, but I don't think the music here quite matches that power until Bruce sings "and over we goooo" for perhaps the most haunting moment of the song.

Then, we get into the instrumental section. The first riff that plays is a really nice use of dynamics, and segues into the first of Paschendale's great solos, backed up with some understated keyboard work. The second solo is the better one, and segues nicely into the "blood is falling like the rain" section. This is an odd climax, as it sounds almost triumphant to me. Likely me misconstruing the mood, but there we go. One final solo, another charging verse section, and we return to the chorus for a couple more run throughs. The second adds some good emphasis to the vocals, and allows for the tension to be filtered out, as the song and battle ends, leaving only the bleak opening riff (and keyboards) to play out to bring the song to a close.

To its credit, Paschendale is incredibly accessible for a song over 8 minutes long, something I credit to Adrian's repetition of key musical motifs throughout the song, such as the bleak opening guitars. It's the song that got me into the entire Dance of Death album, and it's their best war song in my opinion due to its meticulous attention to atmosphere. Other songs (such as The Longest Day) have some fantastic musical motifs that I think reflect the theme of war really nicely but I don't think they maintain it as well as this song does.

I've always supposed the orchestral version wasn't released on the album because they intended to play it live, and due to a lack of an orchestra wanted the album version to sound as the live version. I can understand that, though personally I really appreciate the extra texture that the orchestral version brings. I'm similarly a fan of said versions of Dance of Death, but I feel they make a much more noticeable difference here.

Top 25:

23 - Revelations
22 - Judas Be My Guide
21 - Lord Of Light
20 - Judgement Of Heaven
18 - Blood Brothers
17 - Wasted Years
16 - Face In The Sand
14 - The Talisman
12 - Killers
11 - Aces High
10 - Paschendale

Songs Remaining:

Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Flight of Icarus
Powerslave
Infinite Dreams
Fear Of The Dark
Dance of Death
Empire of the Clouds

Back to Paschendale: preface by saying great write up. The term 'modular' was quite significant to me here. Paschendale is the sum of its parts. Although the same can be said for many songs, here the final product is perfection. Not trying to continue bashing TRATB, but in that case the pieces just don't interlock together nearly as well. PD, although breathtaking at first spin, takes a few listens to grasp the the enormity of the project as a whole.
So many changes. All important and serving as gateways to the next. The atmosphere is consuming from the getgo. You feel immersed in that history. A Powerful journey. Paschendale is perhaps my favorite reunion song on what I consider the best reunion album. 10/10

8 - Satellite 15...The Final Frontier

This post is going to be a fairly long one. I was well aware long before it became the meme of the thread that this song is not a popular choice, and that its placing warranted some extended exposition. Perhaps it'll get one or two of you to listen to it again in a different light; perhaps I'll just get told to clean out my ears. Whatever happens, breathe a sigh of relief. The wild ride is over.

Prefacing this analysis is a discussion on this song and the album over time. Whilst nowadays it's my favourite song from the album, at release the title track was nothing but a disappointment, and The Talisman was the song getting all my love. The change that's happened since then has been gradual and a concerted effort to try get into the Maiden albums I liked less at the time. Chief among these were Fear of the Dark (though for me this boiled down to having a very bad copy of the album), The Final Frontier and A Matter of Life And Death, with the latter two being attributable to what I perceive as a decline in the quality of Bruce's singing during this period.

I'm going to split this analysis into two sections - one for Satellite 15, and one for The Final Frontier. Each deserves that, and it also gives me an opportunity to air my biggest grievance with the song: that it is not in fact 2 songs. This is perhaps an odd one coming from me, as in the majority of other cases I can think of (The Hellion/Electric Eye, Battle Hymn/One Shot At Glory, Oculus Ex Inferni/Set The World On Fire, even The Ides Of March/Wrathchild) I'd be in favour of having the songs as the same track (the main reason being so they'd play together when shuffling music) but in this case Satellite 15 is a much longer intro and hence a pretty big investment. It has wonderful value as an atmosphere piece and a tour intro, but there are times that I'd just like to listen to The Final Frontier on its own. Perhaps we'll see it on a rerelease at some point, and the two are separated on En Vivo.

Satellite 15:

Despite what is perhaps suggested above, I do actually think Satellite 15 is a very good piece of music. However, I think that the word music has to be very clearly explained in this case, because Satellite 15 stands out as an excellent atmosphere piece rather than as a song orientated piece of music that I imagine other people would expect more. I get that other people dislike it (There are times I wish I could skip it to get to the song itself) but for what it is, I think it's done incredibly well. I've always found it odd that despite the fact space should be silent due to the vacuum, there are some very definite motifs used to represent space thematically. These are motifs Maiden make excellent use of throughout this piece.

The first such motif is the idea of machinery, explored very heavily in the start of the piece. Space and technology were perhaps always inextricably linked; yet it's amazing how you can use the latter to invoke the former. Steve does it to heavy effect with his bass here, making it hum like some kind of engine. Nicko's drums form another significant part, going off like pistons and forming a very clear musical landscape together with the bass. The guitars form the final part of this, to various effects. There's some definite guitar whirring to help out the rhythm section in points, as well as guitar squeals used to emulate the sort of high-tech robotic sounds we associate with space due to various sci-fi. Around 1:20-1:30 sees some other similar beeps and squeals, though possibly from a different instrument. I'm not sure if it's guitar or some other instrument but the final part is a very deeply layered whirring underneath all the rest that pushes it all along. It's perhaps the sort of sound I'd associate with wind rushing past, which is ridiculous in space yet gives a feeling of motion nonetheless. I don't think it's altogether different from the traditional sort of sound you hear whenever you watch a program with a UFO, but it's much less intrusive here. It works extremely well, and I think you could put the first 2:23 over a lot of sci-fi to great effect.

The above section in my head represents the spaceship flying through space. As the drums begin to trail off, and we're left with only the whirring of the bass at around 2:25, the ship is stopping, malfunctioning, whatever you like. The piece then chooses to explore some different motifs - the inherent loneliness and eerieness paramount amongst those. The rhythm section goes quiet, and we're left with two things - the long, fading guitar sounds and Bruce's voice, delivered really well here to give a great spacey sound 3:04 sees the rhythm section kick back in, in my head as the titular character attempts to guide the ship back on course or signal back. It's done excellently because while it ramps up the tension to what it was previously (and then some when you include Bruce) the previously meandering motion feeling is not there. The wailing guitars are still screaming out "space", but with a tension that matches the scenario much more. This tension builds with the steadily more aggressive guitars and drums through to 4:35, until...

...silence. It's a wonderful moment, with the tension coming to absolute boiling point very abruptly before being released in the main song.

The Final Frontier:

The title track itself is a direct contrast to Satellite 15. The intro is a very nuanced, atmospheric piece of music. It's followed by the exact opposite - a simple, straightforward headbanger that ignores the atmosphere that came before it. This song is completely standalone from Satellite 15. There's nothing about it except the lyrics that suggest space to me. Beyond them, there's not a lot that even screams Maiden - this is much more typical of your classic hard rock than it is of the brand of metal Maiden have been faithfully pumping out for so many years - that this was the song Jorn chose to cover doesn't surprise me in the slightest. And yet, this juxtaposition is precisely what makes this song so cathartic. It's a genre I adore being done really well by my favourite band whilst simultaneously turned on its head, throwing out the normal sort of lyrical fare you'd expect with something much more compelling and giving it a very experimental intro to boot.

The song itself uses a very simple guitar backbone that it doesn't deviate from. I will happily admit that it's very repetitive, but it instead uses different textures to create some musical variation, as well as in the vocal delivery. There's the "standard" version played as the intro riff as well as during the courses, as well as a "stripped" down version played during the early verses that uses the silences to musical effect (I remember @Forostar talking about this in The Apparition thread; I feel like it's a similar technique used here). Beyond this we get some additional guitar licks (most noticeably in the outro) and some gang vocals for the final repetition of the chorus.

The solos are great in this song, and contrast wonderfully with the guitar backbone mentioned above. I'm not confident it is a triple guitar attack, but it certainly feels like it with the sections at 6:32, 6:46, and 7:00 respectively. The first and second in particular see some soloing at a pace much faster than the rest of the song, and 7:00 finishes it off with a more melodic section to add that extra contrast to the stripped down verse that follows.

Even if you don't think the music is well written (in which case, your loss, not mine) I would really argue that the lyrics on this song (chorus notwithstanding) are excellently done. The band have taken a particularly depressing topic (Dieing alone in space surely counts, right?) and made a decidedly upbeat song about it. What's more, they've done this without it feeling contrived and added in a very clever and appropriate Icarus reference in whilst they're at it. Indeed, the lyrics here are some of my favourite Maiden have ever produced and I'd implore listening with a heavier focus on these in mind rather than being too analytical about the music.

- - - - - - - - - -

Top 25:

23 - Revelations
22 - Judas Be My Guide
21 - Lord Of Light
20 - Judgement Of Heaven
18 - Blood Brothers
17 - Wasted Years
16 - Face In The Sand
14 - The Talisman
12 - Killers
11 - Aces High
10 - Paschendale
9 - Flight Of Icarus

Songs Remaining:

Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Powerslave
Infinite Dreams
Fear Of The Dark
Dance of Death
Empire of the Clouds

This post is going to be a fairly long one. I was well aware long before it became the meme of the thread that this song is not a popular choice, and that its placing warranted some extended exposition. Perhaps it'll get one or two of you to listen to it again in a different light; perhaps I'll just get told to clean out my ears. Whatever happens, breathe a sigh of relief. The wild ride is over.

Prefacing this analysis is a discussion on this song and the album over time. Whilst nowadays it's my favourite song from the album, at release the title track was nothing but a disappointment, and The Talisman was the song getting all my love. The change that's happened since then has been gradual and a concerted effort to try get into the Maiden albums I liked less at the time. Chief among these were Fear of the Dark (though for me this boiled down to having a very bad copy of the album), The Final Frontier and A Matter of Life And Death, with the latter two being attributable to what I perceive as a decline in the quality of Bruce's singing during this period.

I'm going to split this analysis into two sections - one for Satellite 15, and one for The Final Frontier. Each deserves that, and it also gives me an opportunity to air my biggest grievance with the song: that it is not in fact 2 songs. This is perhaps an odd one coming from me, as in the majority of other cases I can think of (The Hellion/Electric Eye, Battle Hymn/One Shot At Glory, Oculus Ex Inferni/Set The World On Fire, even The Ides Of March/Wrathchild) I'd be in favour of having the songs as the same track (the main reason being so they'd play together when shuffling music) but in this case Satellite 15 is a much longer intro and hence a pretty big investment. It has wonderful value as an atmosphere piece and a tour intro, but there are times that I'd just like to listen to The Final Frontier on its own. Perhaps we'll see it on a rerelease at some point, and the two are separated on En Vivo.

Satellite 15:

Despite what is perhaps suggested above, I do actually think Satellite 15 is a very good piece of music. However, I think that the word music has to be very clearly explained in this case, because Satellite 15 stands out as an excellent atmosphere piece rather than as a song orientated piece of music that I imagine other people would expect more. I get that other people dislike it (There are times I wish I could skip it to get to the song itself) but for what it is, I think it's done incredibly well. I've always found it odd that despite the fact space should be silent due to the vacuum, there are some very definite motifs used to represent space thematically. These are motifs Maiden make excellent use of throughout this piece.

The first such motif is the idea of machinery, explored very heavily in the start of the piece. Space and technology were perhaps always inextricably linked; yet it's amazing how you can use the latter to invoke the former. Steve does it to heavy effect with his bass here, making it hum like some kind of engine. Nicko's drums form another significant part, going off like pistons and forming a very clear musical landscape together with the bass. The guitars form the final part of this, to various effects. There's some definite guitar whirring to help out the rhythm section in points, as well as guitar squeals used to emulate the sort of high-tech robotic sounds we associate with space due to various sci-fi. Around 1:20-1:30 sees some other similar beeps and squeals, though possibly from a different instrument. I'm not sure if it's guitar or some other instrument but the final part is a very deeply layered whirring underneath all the rest that pushes it all along. It's perhaps the sort of sound I'd associate with wind rushing past, which is ridiculous in space yet gives a feeling of motion nonetheless. I don't think it's altogether different from the traditional sort of sound you hear whenever you watch a program with a UFO, but it's much less intrusive here. It works extremely well, and I think you could put the first 2:23 over a lot of sci-fi to great effect.

The above section in my head represents the spaceship flying through space. As the drums begin to trail off, and we're left with only the whirring of the bass at around 2:25, the ship is stopping, malfunctioning, whatever you like. The piece then chooses to explore some different motifs - the inherent loneliness and eerieness paramount amongst those. The rhythm section goes quiet, and we're left with two things - the long, fading guitar sounds and Bruce's voice, delivered really well here to give a great spacey sound 3:04 sees the rhythm section kick back in, in my head as the titular character attempts to guide the ship back on course or signal back. It's done excellently because while it ramps up the tension to what it was previously (and then some when you include Bruce) the previously meandering motion feeling is not there. The wailing guitars are still screaming out "space", but with a tension that matches the scenario much more. This tension builds with the steadily more aggressive guitars and drums through to 4:35, until...

...silence. It's a wonderful moment, with the tension coming to absolute boiling point very abruptly before being released in the main song.

The Final Frontier:

The title track itself is a direct contrast to Satellite 15. The intro is a very nuanced, atmospheric piece of music. It's followed by the exact opposite - a simple, straightforward headbanger that ignores the atmosphere that came before it. This song is completely standalone from Satellite 15. There's nothing about it except the lyrics that suggest space to me. Beyond them, there's not a lot that even screams Maiden - this is much more typical of your classic hard rock than it is of the brand of metal Maiden have been faithfully pumping out for so many years - that this was the song Jorn chose to cover doesn't surprise me in the slightest. And yet, this juxtaposition is precisely what makes this song so cathartic. It's a genre I adore being done really well by my favourite band whilst simultaneously turned on its head, throwing out the normal sort of lyrical fare you'd expect with something much more compelling and giving it a very experimental intro to boot.

The song itself uses a very simple guitar backbone that it doesn't deviate from. I will happily admit that it's very repetitive, but it instead uses different textures to create some musical variation, as well as in the vocal delivery. There's the "standard" version played as the intro riff as well as during the courses, as well as a "stripped" down version played during the early verses that uses the silences to musical effect (I remember @Forostar talking about this in The Apparition thread; I feel like it's a similar technique used here). Beyond this we get some additional guitar licks (most noticeably in the outro) and some gang vocals for the final repetition of the chorus.

The solos are great in this song, and contrast wonderfully with the guitar backbone mentioned above. I'm not confident it is a triple guitar attack, but it certainly feels like it with the sections at 6:32, 6:46, and 7:00 respectively. The first and second in particular see some soloing at a pace much faster than the rest of the song, and 7:00 finishes it off with a more melodic section to add that extra contrast to the stripped down verse that follows.

Even if you don't think the music is well written (in which case, your loss, not mine) I would really argue that the lyrics on this song (chorus notwithstanding) are excellently done. The band have taken a particularly depressing topic (Dieing alone in space surely counts, right?) and made a decidedly upbeat song about it. What's more, they've done this without it feeling contrived and added in a very clever and appropriate Icarus reference in whilst they're at it. Indeed, the lyrics here are some of my favourite Maiden have ever produced and I'd implore listening with a heavier focus on these in mind rather than being too analytical about the music.

- - - - - - - - - -

Top 25:

23 - Revelations
22 - Judas Be My Guide
21 - Lord Of Light
20 - Judgement Of Heaven
18 - Blood Brothers
17 - Wasted Years
16 - Face In The Sand
14 - The Talisman
12 - Killers
11 - Aces High
10 - Paschendale
9 - Flight Of Icarus

Songs Remaining:

Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Powerslave
Infinite Dreams
Fear Of The Dark
Dance of Death
Empire of the Clouds
Satellite 15 only features 3 Iron Maiden members at most: Adrian played guitars, bass and probably did the programming on the basic drum tracks. Bruce obviously sings and Nicko probably does some drum-fills here and there. I rememer an interview from that time that said that S15 is something that H created in his home studio and they added some vocals to it.

From remaining 7 songs replace RTTH with Wasted Years and FOTD with The Book Of Souls and you have my top 7. :D

Great post
Indeed.

And @DJMayes nice to know The Apparition and The Final Frontier have more with each other than just the lyrical connection. :ok:

DJMayes' album order of last appearance
01) No Prayer for the Dying (favourite song: Bring Your Daughter .... To the Slaughter, 60)
02) Virtual XI (favourite song: The Clansman, 44)
03) Iron Maiden (favourite song: Prowler, 26)
04) A Matter of Life and Death (favourite song: Lord of Light, 21)
05) The X-Factor (favourite song: Judgement of Heaven, 20)
06) Brave New World (favourite song: Blood Brothers, 18)
07) Somewhere in Time (favourite song: Wasted Years, 17)
08) Killers (favourite song: Killers, 12)
09) Piece of Mind (favourite song: Flight of Icarus, 9)
10) The Final Frontier (favourite song: Satellite 15...The Final Frontier, 8)

DJMayes' album order of first appearance
01) No Prayer for the Dying (least favourite song: Mother Russia, 160)
02) The X-Factor (least favourite song: Blood on the World's Hands, 159)
03) Powerslave (least favourite song: The Duellists, 158)
04) The Number of the Beast (least favourite song: Gangland, 156)
05) Brave New World (least favourite song: The Nomad, 154)
06) Killers (least favourite song: Innocent Exile, 150)
07) Piece of Mind (least favourite song: Quest for Fire, 149)
08) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (least favourite song: The Prophecy, 148)
09) Iron Maiden (least favourite song: Running Free, 146)
10) The Final Frontier (least favourite song: Isle of Avalon, 143)
11) Fear of the Dark (least favourite song: Fear is the Key, 139)
12) A Matter of Life and Death (least favourite song: The Legacy, 136)
13) Virtual XI (least favourite song: Como Estais Amigos, 127)
14) Dance of Death (least favourite song: New Frontier, 125)
15) Somewhere in Time (least favourite song: Alexander the Great, 104)

16) The Book of Souls (least favourite song: The Man of Sorrows, 102)
Top 100:
There are no full albums in the top 100 of DJMayes complete ranking of Maiden songs.
There are no full albums outside this top 100.
Top 50:
There is one full album outside the top 50 (No Prayer for the Dying). All other albums have at least one song in the top 50.
Top 25:
There are 3 full albums outside the top 25 (No Prayer for the Dying, Virtual XI, Iron Maiden). All other albums have at least one song in the top 25.
Top 20:
There are 4 full albums outside the top 20 (No Prayer for the Dying, Virtual XI, Iron Maiden, A Matter of Life and Death). All other albums have at least one song in the top 20.
Top 15:
There are 7 full albums outside the top 15:

1. Iron Maiden
2. No Prayer for the Dying
3. Virtual XI
5. The X-Factor
6. Brave New World
7. Somewhere in Time

All other albums (9) have at least one song in the top 15.
There are 8 full albums outside DJMayes' Top 10. In execution order:
1. No Prayer for the Dying
2. Virtual XI
3. Iron Maiden
5. The X-Factor
6. Brave New World
7. Somewhere in Time
8. Killers

All other albums (8) have at least one song in the top 10. These albums are, in order of release:

The Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Fear of the Dark
Dance of Death
The Final Frontier
The Book of Souls

Three colours are present: Eighties with Bruce (50%), nineties with Bruce (10%) and music from the current line-up (40%). No Di'Anno era material, no Blaze era material.
DJMayes' non-album song order of appearance
01) Invasion, 153
02) Virus, 151
03) Burning Ambition, 135
04) I Live My Way, 132
05) Justice of the Peace, 124
06) Judgement Day, 114

Last edited:
Back