1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different World

Discussion in 'A Matter Of Life And Death' started by Anonymous, Aug 30, 2006.

?

How good is Different World on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

3.1%
  2. 9

21.9%
  3. 8

28.1%
  4. 7

37.5%
  5. 6

6.3%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

3.1%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

Man, I seem to have a huge memory gap there. A really dreadful video,ain't it??

2. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Well, it hasn't made it into the Best Music Video Survivor, I'll give you that. :innocent:

3. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

I guess you're right. World has a better solo.

Brigantium and Gk1 like this.
  4. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

:funnypost: I guess it is the same Universe where TXF is the best Maiden album. To be honest the solo is quite good,I give you that.

5. ironbaz

ironbaz Nomad

Quote every word. ;)

Gk1 likes this.
  6. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

So I'm going to slowly go through these, instead of trying to get them done as quickly as possible. For the last three albums I'll just go along with the survivor.

This is a cool underrated opener. It feels a lot like Wildest Dreams but is superior in every way. Better riff, better lyrics, better Bruce performance, and a top rate Adrian solo. It works well as an intro to the whole album without being all that representative of the sound overall. It's like they were saying, "here's your 80s style rocker, now get ready for something deeper".

7. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide A beggar, a hypocrite, Love reign o'er me

One of my favourite short Maiden songs. The true son of Rainmaker. H's solo is not only one of his best solos, but one of the best Maiden solos, full stop. And that's coming from me, the Janickist. A 9 so strong it's almost a 10.

Also, I don't see any resemblance with the half-assed, melodyless WD - except maybe "short Maiden reunion opener".

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

People keep telling me this song is better than I think it is. 6/10.

9. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

It's a bit in the same mould as Wildest Dreams I suppose. Slightly ordinary opener. It is a bit of a grower though and the poppy chorus is ok. I like Adrian's short solo and I like the theme of the song, perception and feeling out of place.

10. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

Quite good, but the album doesn't really start until the next song.

7/10

11. contrera

contrera Prowler

best opener!

12. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

8/10

Oddly enough, the weakest track on the album is the opener. Different World is engaging, typical Maiden with a cool verse, guitar unison and great Adrian solo, but it ultimately feels like a retread of Wildest Dreams. Clearly a song written for the sole purpose of releasing a proper single as it shares virtually nothing in common with the sound or theme of the rest of the album. There’s nothing wrong with Different World, but it’s paint-by-numbers Maiden.

13. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 The Apparition

Such a fast, strong track, shorter than I believe every other song on the album, yet personally I find it one of the most enjoyable. Surprised everyone else doesn't seem to care much for it. 9/10.