Different World

How good is Different World on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'Different World'

The video is out now on the Official Site.

I have to say that I dislike it.  It seems a bit to similar to the "Red Hot Chili Peppers" video "Californication" for my liking.  Why are the sperm chasing Bruce?  I suppose it's better than the Wildest Dreams video but that's not saying much in all honesty.

Odin's verdict is...wtf? :huh:

That was a random video.  Why did Bruce lose about 40 years of his life?  Is he going to be singing like a 10 year-old-choir boy on the new tour?  Hell, maybe he'll be able to hit the high notes and bring back songs like Aces High!  Remember, kids; purple jizz works wonders for the skin! :D

Awful. Look how Bruce was animated; that looks like a computer game intro from 10 years ago. Why do they do this? What is it supposed to say? It's a metal band, shouldn't they make live-action videos with sparks, explosions and guns? :bigsmile: No seriously, this CG stuff isn't what Maiden should be like. If the video indeed makes it on MTV, people won't know what to think of this great band.

Yeah, I'm not sure I like this video either. But I must say I like the Eddie, he's done quite nicely, especially when compared to the other CGI characters. Does anyone actually understand what it supposed to be going on in the video? What exactly is Bruce's mission? What has it got to do with the song?

Natalie said:
Yeah, I'm not sure I like this video either. But I must say I like the Eddie, he's done quite nicely, especially when compared to the other CGI characters. Does anyone actually understand what it supposed to be going on in the video? What exactly is Bruce's mission? What has it got to do with the song?
As far as I'm concerned there are very few Maiden video clips that actually have something to do with the songs.  The only thing the Rainmaker video has in common with the song is the rain  :huh:

SneakySneaky said:
As far as I'm concerned there are very few Maiden video clips that actually have something to do with the songs.  The only thing the Rainmaker video has in common with the song is the rain  :huh:

Exactly.  This is why I do not care for videos even though I have the video collection on DVD  :blink:.  Look at Run to the Hills video.  Does that silliness represent the song? 

My answer to videos is who cares.  Their only purpose is to maybe draw in a new fan who watches videos.

Genghis Khan said:
Exactly.  This is why I do not care for videos even though I have the video collection on DVD  :blink:.  Look at Run to the Hills video.  Does that silliness represent the song? 

My answer to videos is who cares.  Their only purpose is to maybe draw in a new fan who watches videos.
Or think Maiden are total crap if he doesn't pay much attention to the song and is distracted by the images  -_-

SneakySneaky said:
Or think Maiden are total crap if he doesn't pay much attention to the song and is distracted by the images  -_-

That could easily happen, I believe you.  But, the way I look at it, if someone is so tuned into the video the chances are that s/he does not care about the song anyway.  Besides do Maiden really need someone who chooses video and image over musicianship as their next fan?  Maiden has not cared about image and their videos have shown it.  Most of the videos are parodies because Maiden does not take them seriously.  The exception I can think of at the top of my head is 'Afraid to Shoot Strangers'.  This has taken place during the 1990s when anti-metal sentiments were the highest and I'm sure Maiden did not wish to push their luck.  I bet their record company says: "You guys this song [Different World and others] is great but you really need a video to promote it.  Add CG graphics while you're at it; the kids love that stuff."  Anyway, my whole point is that most videos from most bands I like are poor, including Iron Maiden.  As long as 'Different World' and other songs are good or great songs, the videos are negligible.

Though when I watched the video, I wasn't really impressed since it was more of a real Different World, not much theme present from the song. Nevertheless, the song itself is one great opener, and the lyrics are something that should be put into action in real life.
A great song, and even much greater live. 4/5

In my personal experience this song has been getting a lot of attention from non-metal fans.  My Indian-Canadian (the Hindu kind) friend has stated that he liked this song as soon as he heard it.  One day this week after movies, the song came on in my car and he immediately liked it and asked about it.  I told him.  The next few days he listened to it and now he praises the song.  Coming from a guy who seemingly only listens to Anime soundtracks, this surprised me a lot.  On another note, he downloaded all the "World" songs from the Maiden repertoire, as he could not recall the name and now enjoys Brave New World, as well.  Maybe a fan will be made out of him, at least for the newer albums, as he likes the slow-fast combination of newer material.

My girlfriend also finds the song Different World somewhat interesting.  She could care less about Maiden otherwise.  The song is now her ringtone when I call her.  Admittedly, she only got it because it'd remind her of me.  What a sweetie!  :wub:

Natalie said:

Well, I've finally watched this video and I agree, it is a bit strange. There's a part when the character runs up to this mysterious woman who magically shows him a different world. The look on the guy's face when he stares into the mysterious orb is a look of hope, pain and wonder, and he reaches out as if he really wants to touch what she is offering/showing him. I don't understand what the strange helicopter things are, but they somehow heal the earth (maybe this mysterious woman is like Linden Avery). Another thing I don't understand is why the character decided this grassy world is not for him and throws the vial of mysterious gas he collected from the old world to shatter the illusion. Maybe it is simply because he believes it is only an illsuion... he wants to be there, but he can't really believe it's true.

Don't wanna be here
Somewhere I'd rather be
But when I get there
I might find it's not for me

I think the lyrics are a bit cheesy, but the song itself and the music are all top notch and awesome. 4.5/5

Daily Song: Different World

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Different World

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Again, this is a song. It has guitars, bass, vocals, and even drums arranged in sequence to form a series of melodies. I find that it both begins and ends within a reasonable portion of time. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Different World

Great rocker with a beautifully melodic chorus and a lot of positive energy. It may not be the most original or even the most memorable song ever, but it does what it is supposed to do. 8/10.

One of my early favorites. I tried to write something I like about this song, but I couldn't: it's perfect in every sense and a joy to listen to. 10/10!

I really like this song. Very accessible, thoughtful lyrics and proof that a Maiden song can be less than 8 minutes. Everybody has a different way to view the world. 7

It's a good song, but it feels like I've heard it before. It felt like Maiden wanted to go safe and open with a short song just for the sake of it. Good solo.

7/10.

Eddies Wingman said:
It's a good song, but it feels like I've heard it before. It felt like Maiden wanted to go safe and open with a short song just for the sake of it. Good solo.

7/10.

This is how I feel about the song. It's why S15/TFF is much more appealing to me. Not because TFF is more than "a song" really, although a good one, it's because they actually did something interesting. Different World is the same as Wildest Dreams...right down to Nicko saying something to start the track. Like a freaking book "How to write the first track for a reunion era album".

Back