Deep Purple

Hmm, I noticed that you didn't mention Strange Kind Of Woman or Demon's Eye.

Yeah no guarantee that I mention every single track in the reviews if I don't feel like there's too much to mention...I also left out No No No from this review :) The reason for leaving out Strange Kind of Woman is because it's not on the copy I have. Strange Kind of Woman was only on the US version of Fireball and was a single in Europe like Black Night. I was going to post a version of it though because it's a classic of course :)

Fireball is my favourite Purple track and the instrumental section is insane. It's one of the first true heavy metal songs ever.

Fireball is my favourite Purple track and the instrumental section is insane. It's one of the first true heavy metal songs ever.

It is insane isn't it. I love how Paice's drums literally sounds like two or three kits on that intro beat and throughout the song. One of the best drum intros/beats ever and a classic example of "making the most out of your kit" before every rock/metal drummer had big ass kits..If people today think that "only" having a beginners drum set is "bad" you only need to show them Ian Paice to motivate them and let em know that you don't need all that fancy sh*t ;) Even more remarkable that Blackmore is basically absent in it. No huge guitar solo or anything. Makes it rather special in the catalog and even more so as opener on the Fireball album :)

This is from one year later in Denmark, 72

Last edited:
Nice album. I dislike Anyone's Daughter but the rest has a bigger amounth of depth than In Rock.

It's a strange song. Not sure what they wanted to accomplish with it and when you hear it on the album it's way off...Like I said I like the slide guitar somehow on it. Cool melody. But I think the rest of the song is too much of a Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan (remember, in 1970 Dylan went country with New Morning) type of tune... And yeah Anyone's Daughter sounds a bit like Purple trying to tap into that success...

I always thought that Anyone's Daughter has a significant Dylan vibe to it.

It does for sure. you can hear it in the way Gillan sings and of course in the way of folk storytelling. In this case a man who finds out he has impregnated the daughter of a judge who now seeks revenge..... But overall it never really works as a folk song because it's too intentional and too much of a self-conscious attempt......Some of the instrumentation is cool though.

Last edited:
Apparently The Mule was also in part based on the fictional character The Mule from Isaac Asimov Foundation series but as I haven't read that I can't really comment on that further. Perhaps someone else can?

The Mule has the power of mind control. The lyrics are from a person controlled by The Mule.

Any further discussion about The Mule necessarily involves massive spoilers. If you ever want to read The Foundation Trilogy, which I highly recommend, you don't want to know more.

That's cool. Thanks for the clarification. I've listened to Deep Purple for many many years and it's not until now that I've understood that there's more to the song than the characteristics of the animal, the mule :D Also drummers should check the following vid. The Mule being THE launch pad for Paice solos!

Last edited:
I just listened to this archival release of Deep Purple Live at Long Beach 1971, released this year, as a supplement to the catalog listening:D

Deep-Purple_Long-Beach-1971_Cover_hires_2.jpeg

It's originally recorded for US radio I believe and used to be a popular bootleg before Purple cleaned up the tapes and officially released it. Sound is still not really top notch though I think, Gillian is way too high in the mix and in places the sound is a bit too muffled The performance however....:notworthy: but only if you like the period before Machine Head with the extended jams and improvisations that they were doing at this time. 4 songs in 70 min. An almost 30 min version of Mandrake Root. Child in Time from the previous album and Speed King and Strange Kind of Woman from the album Fireball, that they were promoting at the time. A band at the height of their power, but some of the long jams may turn off some listeners....Anyways, it's a cool alternative to Made In Japan.

Yeah...Live at Long Beach 1971, Setting Sun (Live at Wacken) and Rising Sun (Tokyo) was released just this year :huh:

I try and handpick the best I can, based on reviews/place of concert etc....

Which of you considers Deep Purple to be an underrated band?

Underrated by who? They're quite well liked on this forum.

By most people? Probably underappreciated, since most people just know the big hits. (Same for all bands, really.) Not quite the same as underrated.

It is insane isn't it. I love how Paice's drums literally sounds like two or three kits on that intro beat and throughout the song. One of the best drum intros/beats ever and a classic example of "making the most out of your kit" before every rock/metal drummer had big ass kits..If people today think that "only" having a beginners drum set is "bad" you only need to show them Ian Paice to motivate them and let em know that you don't need all that fancy sh*t ;) Even more remarkable that Blackmore is basically absent in it. No huge guitar solo or anything. Makes it rather special in the catalog and even more so as opener on the Fireball album :)

This is from one year later in Denmark, 72

Agreed.
But. Absence of Blackmore is the key. He's playing the real heavy metal riff, real fast heavy metal rhythm guitar. Beneath one of Lord's finest solos, this thing delivers as much as energy, punch and technique as any modern metal track!

Fireball solo, play on full volume

Back