Deep Purple

I have never heard that the initiative to do these crossover projects comes from the classical world. It's always the rock musicians.

Pavarotti was someone eager to work with pop and rock artists. He had been pestering U2 for a collaboration for years before they finally did it in 1995. Also, the Freddie Mercury & Montserrat Caballé collaboration was Caballé's idea. Just two examples from the top of my head.

In Rock is still the best they've ever done, IMHO. I love everything about that album, even Flight of the Rat. And the sound's very raw and enticing - they would never sound quite like this after that. Though for personal reasons I'm also very particular to Fireball (which doesn't seem that well-beloved next to Rock and Head), In Rock is pretty much what I listen to Purple for. It was my first experience with them and you rarely forget that. Yeah, I know Child in Time, classic which it is, sounds half-baked from the compositional point of view. And I know many people dislike the B side. And Ian sounds muffled here and there (mostly on Rat), but he often does, honestly.
Heck, it made me want to give it a spin. :D

I won't comment on Concerto, since it's been a long time since I've heard that one and I remember I've been pretty underwhelmed. But maybe I should try it out again.

is there a place on the web where we can read classical world opinions on rock musicians?

Not really... that's like trying to find the "metal world opinion on classical musicians". It's not the kind of thing that's collected in one place.

Zappa gets respect for his orchestral and percussion compositions, not his rock music, which classical musicians ignore.

Edit, for the most recent example: in 2013 the Los Angeles Philharmonic performed the orchestral suites from Zappa's movie 200 Motels. The album just came out last month. To my knowledge, Zappa is the only rock musician who gets his orchestral music played like this.

Well, if anything, In Rock is definitely their most ferocious album. They would never have this kind of energy again, in studio at least.

Well, if anything, In Rock is definitely their most ferocious album. They would never have this kind of energy again, in studio at least.

I think you're right. That said I haven't heard every album they've done...yet! But I believe you :) I think it's very clear that there's a big sense of urgency on this album. Blackmore wanted to take the band in a new harder direction so he knew it was make or break and you can sense that energy on the album. The band is pulling all the stops, leaving everything out there...

Oh and of course, we can't forget this little tune....Black Night was released as a single prior to the In Rock album release but was not on the actual album. Still, one of their most popular songs. It charted at #2 on the UK charts in 1970, beating Paranoid by Black Sabbath that "only" made number 4.

It charted at #2 on the UK charts in 1970, beating Paranoid by Black Sabbath that "only" made number 4.

I heard many a report from people who remembered both singles being a thing at the same time, stating this was the beginning of heavy metal.

Black Night charted higher because it was less heavy. Kidding guys, kidding. ;--)

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath 13 February 1970
Deep Purple - In Rock 3 June 1970

First things come first. :innocent:

But keep going, I really like this thread. And Ian Paice is cool to watch!

Last edited:
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath 13 February 1970
Deep Purple - In Rock 3 June 1970

First things come first. :innocent:

We're talking about the single charts of the year 1970. Paranoid was on the Paranoid album released September 1970.

And even then, Deep Purple had a big top 5 hit with Hush in the US before Sabbath put anything out :D

I was more talking in the context of birth of metal (heavy rock). And see my edited post. *Runs in opposite direction of Denmark*

Yeah I understand, none of the chart talk had anything to do with the birth of metal really... just comparing the two groups success to each other because they were both out with singles at the time....

But if we have to compare them then like I said in my review post of the In Rock album, Sabbath had the heavy riffs and were the "heavier" of the two but Purple had the finesse, the musicality and the interplay at break neck speeds down, which heavy metal would also be known for. So in a way, both bands contributed to the sound of heavy metal int heir own special way. Fact is not *one* group created metal music.,..many bands did. Also many bands before Purple and Sabbath helped push the music towards a harder edge....The Jimi Hendrix Experience for example had very, VERY rocking songs in their set int the 60's...Blue Cheer was as fuzzed out and noisy as possible too, amongst many others :D

Last edited:
I guess this is not the time and place to continue this discussion but I'll tell you this: some bands helped more than others to create that style.

MI0001758807.jpg

Fireball (1971)

After an extensive worldwide tour in support of In Rock, Deep Purple returned to the studio to pen and record their 5th album Fireball. Contrary to many of the earlier albums Purple had more time in the studio but also had the monumental task of writing a follow up to In Rock. Even if Fireball was their 5th album, In Rock had redefined the band and so in the eyes of many this was only their second album. So how did Purple approach the success of In Rock and did they avoid the sophomore slump?

The title track, Fireball, opens the album in the same vein as most of the material on In Rock. Fast, furious and aggressive. Paice and Glover leads the way here, proving that they're really both quite underrated musicians. Paice is all over his kit and Glover inserts tasty bass licks throughout with the highlight being a pretty fantastic fuzzy bass solo midways through. Gillian sounds a little rougher on this album in general perhaps because of the grueling touring but of course still belts out some great vocals. Strangely enough Blackmore isn't very prominent on this track, more or less "just" contributing to the churning feel with his riffs. Speaking of strange.....Anyone's Daughter is a little country ditty with Lord playing western piano and Blackmore on slide guitar and country picking. Not really sure how I feel about it, sometimes I like it, sometimes I feel like it should never have been included. Definitely the odd one out on this album. Side two picks things up again with The Mule, a psychedelic tune with washing guitars and a hypnotic drum pattern by Paice with Blackmore's majestic guitar melody theme driving it. Largely an instrumental if it wasn't for the more or less spoken part by Gillan that tells of the Mule, a devil or Lucifer character that drives people forward and make them do his evil deeds.

No-one sees the things you do
Because I stand in front of you
But you drive me all the time
Put the evil in my mind
Used to sing and say my prayers
Live my life without a care
Now I have become a fool
Because I listened to the mule
How can I change when my mind is a friend
Of a Lucifer hid in the ground
Just another slave for the mule

Apparently The Mule was also in part based on the fictional character The Mule from Isaac Asimov Foundation series but as I haven't read that I can't really comment on that further. Perhaps someone else can? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_(Foundation) A fantastic song nevertheless which most people here SHOULD know from their live concerts with Paice using the song to launch into his drum solos. The Mule comes to an end in what sounds like a whirlwind of dissonance that dissolves before next track, Fools, begins with a soft floating intro. Then unexpectedly hitting like a hammer and turning into one of the heavier tracks on the album. Gillian tells the story of man who tries for all in the world to hide his feelings and not show emotions. The tune is a little on the long side but is saved by Blackmore's slowed down and absolutely beautiful breakdown solo in the middle. No One Came is a fantastic rock song with a driving rhythm, another highlight on the album, again with fantastic solo bits by Lord and Blackmore!

Overall perhaps a bit of an overlooked album wedged in between landmarks In Rock and Machine Head. But there is no doubt in my mind that Purple dared to step out of the shadows of In Rock and attempt new material here. This album contains bits of country, funk, jazz whereas In Rock was more direct in it's approach. Also in some ways Fireball contains nods to the albums prior to In Rock, particularly with the quasi-psych bits of The Mule, the ending of No One Came and the unorthodox breakdown in Fools. Overall a more playful album than In Rock but not as consistent.

Last edited:
Yay! One of my personal favourites and a somewhat forgotten and/or underrated Purple albums. Love Fools, the studio version of Mule, the title cut, No One Came... It has a very weird sound (and Ian sounds muffled, I admit) and also a rather weird approach to songwriting. I don't think they'd written songs like these ever again (talking primarily about Anyone's Daughter or the Mule)

Also on the remaster there is this bonus track. It's just them goofing around in the studio, doing somewhat weird takes on various "classics" (Midnight in Moscow, Guglielmo Tell) and sometimes they are painfully out of tune, but it's fun nevertheless... :D

Back