Death On The Road Dvd

A

Anonymous

I haven't got the DVD yet and am not sure if I will get it. Apparantly it has been hit with a lot of glitches as only certain DVD players will read the disc and even then, some tracks do not play. Has anybody got it yet? What is the general concensus? I know Rock in Rio has taken a lot of criticism for the editing job done by Harris. What is this DVD like? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

I got a faulty copy today and I, as some might understand, feel quite "annoyed" to say the least. I watched the documentary and found it great quality, full of information and generally brilliant all round. The stereo DVD is brilliant, you don't seem to notice the cuts as you get into it (well I don't) but then Brave New World came on. All was great up until the last minute or so, and then this green bar started moving across the bottom of my screen from right to left getting longer, getting shorter and repeating the same. The picture then began to sort of freeze at one image for a second, but not clearly frozen (it's hard to describe), the image blurs and gets boxy. Thats the best I can describe it.

I haven't seen it, but according to the discussion on the official MB, it sounds as if the DVD isn't exactly faulty. The problem, apparently, is that some tracks contain too much information and can only be played properly by top-of-the-line DVD players. (I'm not much of a techie, so I can't explain any better than this).

This isn't an excuse, of course. Even if this is the right explanation for all the trouble people seem to be having (and it would explain why some people haven't had any trouble at all), it seems to me very stupid and disrespectful to put out a product that you know (or should know) that most of your fans won't be able to watch properly.

Has anyone else heard this version of the story? Can anyone confirm it?

I don't know anything about all this, as I haven't yet purchased this dodgy item. Just don't expect a commentary on it too soon, right? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

I'm not too sure if mine is faulty or not. There are no black outs, no big bars, pixelation or loss of sound on the stereo dvd.

BUT.... from BNW it kinda looks like its being streamed fro the internet. Movements from the band members look a bit jittery but nothing too extreme. Would this have anything to do with me playing on my PS2?

It's not the same fault as everyone else seems to be posting about so that's why I'm not really that sure.

I won't be buying it until I'm sure it's perfect and kosher. I watched the preview from the official website, and I must admit the editing didn't look too good.

[!--quoteo(post=128603:date=Feb 7 2006, 04:53 PM:name=aefh123)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(aefh123 @ Feb 7 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]128603[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Would this have anything to do with me playing on my PS2?

It's not the same fault as everyone else seems to be posting about so that's why I'm not really that sure.
[/quote]

Before i bought a DVD player i was playing all of my DVDs on my PS2. After a while the same thing started happening little by little until it got to a point where i bought a DVD player.

Back to the DVD...I'm still not sure if i should buy it even thought i have heard all of the stories about it being faulty. I might, but im still thinking about it.

After my original post i tried it on the dvd player we have in our living room. Unfortunatley I suffered the same problems as everyone else. So maybe it is something to so with what type of player you play it on.

I should maybe have checked this before posting in the first place.

I got mine on Friday February 3rd. As for the problems. Well, on my pc it works just fine except in Paschendale where for a moment the screen kinda blacks out , but it 's only for a second and then it's ok. No problems after that. When l put it on my dvd player in the living room , l had a few problems. From Paschendale through to the end of the concert the image sort of pauses making the band members' movements look a little jittery as aefh 123 said. In jouneyman l've the biggest problem, but still it's ok on my pc. I'm talking about the stereo version. All in all l 'm not so unhappy and l don't think l'm taking it back.

My copy works on my pc perfectly but as I said above, still fails on my actual DVD player. I think I'm gonna try it out on a few different players and see what happens. And in reference to the editing, I didn't even notice it as soon as I got into the gig and in some songs (especially Paschendale), I think the quick changes between members goes very well with the overall theme and the playing of the song.

[!--quoteo(post=128600:date=Feb 7 2006, 08:48 PM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Feb 7 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]128600[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The problem, apparently, is that some tracks contain too much information and can only be played properly by top-of-the-line DVD players. (I'm not much of a techie, so I can't explain any better than this).
[/quote]
If the problem is the production, or "putting too much information on some tracks" I really have to ask why? RiR worked perfectly and there was nothing to do with tracks having more information... why did the band/music/DVD industry have to experiment with this DVD? ::

I received the DVD on Feb, 3rd through Amazon Germany. First of all, I don't have any problems with the DVDs - I tested the stereo disc on three different DVD players from very cheap (~ €25) to expensive (~ €200), and it is running perfectly. Don't have any problems with the two other discs either.

About the gig itself: The editing is very fast, as you should already know. Wildest Dreams starts off VERY VERY fast, after that the cutting slows down a bit... most of the time the cutting is influenced by the mood of the song ... the beginning of "Dance Of Death", "Paschendale" and "Journeyman" for example are cut much slower than the fast songs. Personally I don't really have problems with the editing, still I would like it better if it was slower.

The picture quality of the gig is simply stunning. Widescreen format, brilliant colors and sharpness.
The audio mix on the stereo disc is the same as the CD, anyway I didn't notice a significant difference.

The "special features" contains a real treasure in form of the "Death On The Road" documentary. You get an impression of how the band works in a studio, and it generally is very funny and very entertaining to watch.
The "Life On The Road" documentary (nice pun Death <-> Life [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /] ) also is very good, particularly of interest for musicians and the "tech-freaks" who want to know more about this "backstage-stuff".

I got my copy for only €17,99 which is very cheap for a 3 DVD set, I think... I am satisfied with the result, but I recommend you to wait with the purchase if you're not sure if the stereo disc will run on your system (maybe borrow the disc from a friend who's got it and test it..)

Cheers

*Re-enactment*

Ignorant, non-Maiden obsessed oaf friend: Dude, you already showed me Rock in Rio AND The Early Days. How is it going to get any better?

*Put in DotR DVD*

*Watch a bit(especially guitarist focused solos(Rock in Rio needed that)).*

*Enlightened born again Maidenist*

You: Ahhh, one good deed a day...

*Re-enactment ove* I thought I was going to have to wait even longer for this DVD since I'm in Canada, but the local HMV imported 5 copies of it. How the hell could I resist? Works fine on my computer AND TV DVD player. DVD player is about 6 months old. If you have problems playing these DVDs, once they start working(well, I didn't have any problems) you'll sure know its worth it.

I got the NTSC, Region 0 (ALL) version of the DVD and it works fine with my LG VC-8804M on a PAL TV (a ten years old Sony),
and also on my PC.

Don't know why it works on TV, cause I use PAL system.

Anyway, the only faults I found, is that the DVD labels are wrong.
The "Stereo" labelled disk is actually the 5.1 version and the "5.1" labelled disk is the stereo version!

The other one is that (with stereo disk) it jumped to the menu right after BNW and Rainmaker.
Maybe there are also other songs that do that. Annoying!

I bought my DOTR-dvd last week in a brazilian site... they say that they're going to ship the product 8th March... I found it strange, cause the original date for the brazilian release was 13rd February! I'm afraid of this "problems" that were related... but I hope that this delay served to fix the problems =)

I don't have it yet, but I'll wait til I read a good review about it.

By the way, hi to everyone!!

Will we here when the dod dvd is ok??

I hope when someone from the poor soon to be totaly out of money san** :: **y, will release their statement on the offical iron maiden bb, someone will be writing it here as well!? ::

[!--quoteo(post=130932:date=Mar 6 2006, 11:07 AM:name=TheAce)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(TheAce @ Mar 6 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]130932[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I hope when someone from the poor soon to be totaly out of money san** :: **y, will release their statement on the offical iron maiden bb, someone will be writing it here as well!? ::
[/quote]
I would like to assure you and all other new members (we've had quite a few join in the past days) of two things:
1. Official news from ironmaiden.com is almost always reported on the maidenfans.com front page, and is usually reported in this forum as well.
2. In the past, interesting announcements from the IMBB have been reported here by people who frequented both sites. I do not know how the changes in the IMBB will affect that practice, but I do know that several members here are also fan club members and so may have access to the IMBB in the future.

[!--quoteo(post=130935:date=Mar 6 2006, 07:13 PM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Mar 6 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]130935[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I would like to assure you and all other new members (we've had quite a few join in the past days) of two things:
1. Official news from ironmaiden.com is almost always reported on the maidenfans.com front page, and is usually reported in this forum as well.
2. In the past, interesting announcements from the IMBB have been reported here by people who frequented both sites. I do not know how the changes in the IMBB will affect that practice, but I do know that several members here are also fan club members and so may have access to the IMBB in the future.
[/quote]
Sounds perfect!

Back