6. Ghost of the Navigator
7. When the Wild Wind Blows
8.  Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
9. The Longest Day
10. Isle of Avalon
11. The Legacy

1. The Wicker Man - has to be a rockin' first track IMHO
2. These Colours Don't Run - flawless solo from Adrian
3. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - detuned monster riffs. Earth-shattering.
4. Brave New World - Anthemic.
5. Starblind - Best track since the Golden Years.
6. Dream of Mirrors - dare I say Prog Metal ?
7. Paschendale - Adrian's genius at work (yet) again.
8. For The Greater Good of God - classical weighty metal at its best.
9. Dance Of Death - chilling story-telling and musically progressive.
10.The Legacy - perfect ending for what would be the perfect album.

And for what it's worth, my Golden Era album of sheer perfection (without reason)...

1. Caught Somewhere In Time
2. Revelations
3. 2 Minutes To Midnight
4. The Prisoner
5. Powerslave
6. Where Eagles Dare
7. Phantom Of The Opera
8. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
9. Alexander The Great
10. Hallowed Be Thy Name

bluehelmet said:
1. The Wicker Man - has to be a rockin' first track IMHO
2. These Colours Don't Run - flawless solo from Adrian
3. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - detuned monster riffs. Earth-shattering.
4. Brave New World - Anthemic.
5. Starblind - Best track since the Golden Years.
6. Dream of Mirrors - dare I say Prog Metal ?
7. Paschendale - Adrian's genius at work (yet) again.
8. For The Greater Good of God - classical weighty metal at its best.
9. Dance Of Death - chilling story-telling and musically progressive.
10.The Legacy - perfect ending for what would be the perfect album.

And for what it's worth, my Golden Era album of sheer perfection (without reason)...

1. Caught Somewhere In Time
2. Revelations
3. 2 Minutes To Midnight
4. The Prisoner
5. Powerslave
6. Where Eagles Dare
7. Phantom Of The Opera
8. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
9. Alexander The Great
10. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Great Golden Era list, I would swap the prisoner for Aces High or NOTB though.

01. The Talisman (I like when epic songs open the album, this one is really fast, has a great intro and a great chorus that isn't overused)
02. The Wicker Man (short, fast and catchy song to catch the listener's attention)
03. Coming Home (power ballad to slow things a little bit)
04. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (first epic track, I especially like the fast part)
05. Out Of The Silent Planet (another epic, that starts slow but then speeds up)
06. Starblind (epic and slow)
07. Lord Of Light (epic, fast and lots of tempo changes)
08. Journeyman (another ballad)
09. Dance Of Death (the most epic song on this compilation, and the most epic track since Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son IMO)

01. The Alchemist (strong opener)
02. Ghost of the Navigator (surely would continue the excitement with its excellent beginning)
03. Dance of Death (into the realms of mystery and imagination)
04. Isle of Avalon (like Ghost, again a track with an exciting beginning, so despite its length again fresh sounding)
05. The Pilgrim (a short one with beautiful solo)
06. Paschendale (back into first gear with the impressive WWI epic)
07. Mother of Mercy (another war related song)
08. Brave New World (beautiful melodic track with one of the best instrumental moments from this era)
09. Lord of Light (not often mentioned, but for me one of the best from AMOLAD, I love that calm guitar work and the changes of moods)
10. Starblind (can't explain well but I see Starblind as a kind of brother of Lord of Light and it's a worthy conclusion of this album)

Most tricky choices:
-I picked The Pilgrim instead of BTATS because I needed an extra speedy track for the flow.
-Mother of Mercy. It's not speedy, but it can keep the flow because it sounds really fresh.

Songs which were considered but didn't make it. The lengthy ones were dropped to keep the pace, and I prefer other shorter ones to keep at least 2 songs from each album:

The Wicker Man
The Mercenary
Rainmaker
These Colours Don’t Run (one of my favs from AMOLAD but its instrumental section is too lengthy in this company)
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg (Painful that I had to drop this song, because it brings a unique atmosphere. Nevertheless, I have already many songs with calm beginnings)
The Legacy
When the Wild Wind Blows

1)The wicker man
2)Ghost of the Navigator
3)Rainmaker
4)Isle of Avalon
5)Starblind
6)Montsegur
7)Brighter than a thousand suns
8)Lord of Light
9)The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
10) The Talisman

1. The Wicker Man
2. Ghost of the Navigator
3. Rainmaker
4. These Colours Don't Run
5. Dance of Death
6. Brave New World
7. Paschendale
8. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
9. The Talisman
10. Starblind

1 ) The Wicker Man is a strong opener. It has a great tempo and is a perfect album opener song. I can't put it anywhere different from the first track.
2 ) The Wicker Man & Ghost of the Navigator completes each other.
3 ) Before the long songs, I wanted a up-tempo, short song. Rainmaker works for me. And it has a great atmosphere, that's another good thing.
4 ) A slow, long song before the fast, long songs. My second favorite from AMOLAD.
5 ) One of the best of the reunion period, and suits to the fifth track really well.
6 ) Another melodic, atmospheric song, suits to the sixth track.
7 ) Another long epic, I don't need to explain to you all. One of my top 5 favorite Maiden songs.
8 ) A strong, long song and feels good after Dance of Death, Brave New World and Paschendale.
9 ) Up tempo long song, my second favorite from The Final Frontier. Gives energy before the ending song.
10 ) My favorite from reunion period. It's a really good ending song with its atmosphere.

I listened to this compilation today and it was amazing !

1) The Wicker Man
2) Ghost of the Navigator
3) Coming Home
4) Dance of Death
5) Isle of Avalon
6) Brave New World
7) For the Greater Good of God
8) Out of the Shadows
9) Paschendale
10) Starblind

Woops, I thought I had :S guess I forgot to copy it out of the word document I used when I was brainstorming this, it wasn't exactly east to come up with 10 songs.

Wicker Man and Ghost of the Navigator for me is probably the best 1-2 opening Maiden has ever done, I love the two songs individually and they flow together so well. I threw Coming Home in at number 3 because I felt a shorter, less "epicy" song would be a good idea before the album launched into the epic tracks. Considered putting The Alchemist in there, or possibly The Pilgrim, but I settles on Coming Home.

I've been putting Isle of Avalon after Dance of Death on my iPod recently, and I really like the way it works. The two together sort of reminds of a roller coaster. The intro to Dance of Death is the huge hill to start the ride, the entire middle to late section of DoD is just off the charts, I love that solo. Isle of Avalon has some excellent rises and falls, it seems like a natural continuation from DoD. (A note, putting Isle of Avalon after the Death on the Road version is just orgasmic, the flow from Bruce's last held note to the rhythm section of Isle is fantastic).

Brave New World, I don't really have a reason, I just LOVE that song and felt wrong not including it :D

For the Greater Good of God is one of my favorite reunion tracks, it's quite the epic that I feel is a great change of pace from Brave New World. Out of the Shadows is a bet of an upper after the string of lengthy songs, and I've always loved the contrast in the guitar work between these two AMOLAD songs. FtGGoG's drum beat keeps going steadily throughout the song, which is just the opposite of the guitar in Out of the Shadows, it has lots of sounds to it and I think the two songs work together well.

The final two songs, I'm not exactly sure if they would work with each other back to back but I'm a huge fan of the two. They're both among the best of Maiden's catalogue, and either of the two is a great way to end the album.

@ Prowlwer_108 ...thanks mate!! Its an album dedicated to the prog lovers.
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate and Ghost of the Navigators but didn't fit the mood of the album.

1. The Wicker Man - (The best opener on the last four albums) Now it gets tricky...
2. El Dorado - (A good up beat pounding song to follow the opener)
3. Dream Of Mirrors - (Take the tempo down a notch, then it gets cooking towards the end... and leads us into)
4. Montsegur - (A good song to bring us into the middle of the album, a rocking tune)
5. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg (A rock solid song to lead into the second half of the album)
6. Paschendale (An excellent start to second half, something to sing along with)
7. The  Alchemist (An upbeat tune to get the head banging started again)
8. Out Of The Silent Planet (I can't leave this one out of the list... it is just to good)
9. The Thin Line Between Love & Hate (Again this can not be left out of the list, it is a personal favourite of mine, I think it would be fine to place it here)
10. The Legacy (The perfect closer, strongest of the last four albums)

1. Rainmaker - The Wicker Man is the best opener out of the 4 albums, but I think Rainmaker would be a stronger opener.
2. These Colours Don't Run - Contrasts the rocker that precedes it. Feels more like an epic song but is compacted into less than 7 mins.
3. Ghost of the Navigator - Another song that contains more than first meets the eye (or ear in this context).
4. Coming Home - Need to slow the pace after the last 2 songs.
5. Dance of Death - The first true epic of the album. Great riffs, instrumental section and vocals. What more could you want?
6. Blood Brothers - Another slower song to bridge between 2 epic songs.
7. Isle of Avalon - Need another epic in the "meat" of the album. One of Maiden's better epics with big prog influences.
8. The Wicker Man - Increase the tempo to get the blood pumping for the final 2 songs.
9. Paschendale - Of course, need Paschendale somewhere on the list.
10. The Legacy - Best album closer of the 4, and a great song to boot. A fitting closer to the album.

Honorable Mentions (No particular order)
The Talisman
The Longest Day
Brave New World
Dream of Mirrors
No More Lies
When the Wild Wind Blows

I actually did this a gave it to a cousin for a Christmas present. It was title Brave New Frontier of Death. (although it included 12 songs--I'll trim Different World and The Wicker Man, originally tracks 5 and 6, for the sake of the thread)

1> Satellite 15...The Final Frontier: The first half defies expectations and it would be tough to put anywhere else in the mix. TFF has a good hook to "reel you in."
2> El Dorado: I like this song way more than most of the other posters here. While it's not a revolutionary song, it gives a strong nod back to the 80s.
3> Starblind: I cheated and trimmed the intro off so it has a heavy beginning, which follows ED quite well.
4> Rainmaker: Wanted to speed things up a bit. My favorite of the post-milennial short songs.
5> Ghost of the Navigator: This was the song that showed me that the "old" Maiden was back in 2000. Every time I hear the pale imitation of this song that is the Talisman it just makes me want to listen to GoTN.
6> Face in the Sand: This may be my favorite of the reunion songs. Top 3 anyway.
7> These Colours Don't Run: Seems to flow quite well here.
8> Mother of Mercy: This song keeps getting better every time I hear it while the rest of TFF seems to be getting worse.
9> No More Lies: I kept wanting to leave this song out but I couldn't. The power of the chorus and the beauty of the solos edged out PFD
10> Brave New World: Had to close with a true classic of the 2000s

1: The Wicker Man (fantastic show opener and i would love this to be the 2011 tour opener and a great way to open an album).
2: Ghost Of The Navigator (Love this track and the perfect follow on to The Wicker Man)
3: Mother Of Mercy (Love this song, might as well keep it in the number 3 slot)
4: Dance Of Death (Epic song and just one of my reunion favourites)
5: Blood Brothers (Song that i cannot help singing along to at a very high volume)
6: The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg (love the intro and for me, a great track)
7: Starblind (one of my favourites of all time brilliant lyrics, great track)
8: Paschendale (enough said)
9: The Talisman (one of my favs, love the intro into the opening riff)
10: When The Wild Wind Blows (Great way to finish off the album)

I may have to try this playlist to see how it would work :edmetal:

1. Isle Of Avalon
2. Dance Of Death
3. Blood Brothers
4. Coming Home
5. Starblind
6. Paschendale
7. The Longest Day
8. The Legacy
9. The Talisman
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Awww... too many great songs left out  :(

Honorable mentions: Dream Of Mirrors, Rainmaker, Journeyman, Out Of The Shadows.

Heres an interesting one that I just thought of:
1. These Colours Don't Run
3. Mother of Mercy
4. Starblind
5. El Dorado
6. Satellite 15...the Final Frontier
7. Benjamin Breeg
8. For the Greater Good of God
9. The Alchemist
10. Out of the Silent Planet

Prowler_108 said:
Heres an interesting one that I just thought of:
1. These Colours Don't Run
3. Mother of Mercy
4. Starblind
5. El Dorado
6. Satellite 15...the Final Frontier
7. Benjamin Breeg
8. For the Greater Good of God
9. The Alchemist
10. Out of the Silent Planet

Very atypical list there, what made you come up with this one?
ghost of winter said:
I'm still working on this, so far i've whittled it down to 22 songs!

Yeah it is not very easy! But fun to imagine what if Maiden only had one album of 10 songs with all this material  :)

1.These colors don't run
2.Coming Home
3.Blood Brothers
4.Rainmaker
5.The Nomad
6.The Man Who Would Be King
7.Out of the Shadows
8.Dance Of Death
9.The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breege
10.Face in the Sand

OHHHH YAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Back