Compile one album out of the last four!

SixesAlltheway

Ancient Mariner
How would you compile your favourite album out of the material Maiden has released in the 00s? For example, hypothetically speaking, say that Maiden has the last 4 albums worth of material lying around and has to cut it down to 10 songs that'll make an album. What would you leave out and what would you include? Consider the flow of the album as you pick the songs, do you want a balance between epic tracks and rockers or not, do you want to center the album around a specifc theme? etc..

Some guidelines: Only tracks from the last four studio albums. Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death and The Final Frontier. No live! Pick 10 songs only, seeing as they've all had 10 tracks, except Dance of Death with 11.

For the sake of the thread and discussion, maybe elaborate on your song choices so as to avoid this thread just turning into a listing...And sorry if this sort of thread has been done before I coulden't find anything in the search.

Ok, here is mine!
1) The Wicker Man (need a fast track to really kick the album off, and no better than The Wicker Man to do that! This track has served as the blueprint for the next three album openers, but Maiden haven't been able to match this one in my opinion. I would probably choose the US radio edit because of the extra vocals in the chorus that makes the track extra awesome)
2) The Fallen Angel (straight into another fast and aggressive track. A nice one-two combo! This track is really awesome, one of the best shorter tracks Maiden have written in the 00 decade imo!
3) Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (this monstrously heavy track is next, Steves thick basslines control the song while the band plays phenomenally around it)
4) Paschendale (After the sweeping end of the atomic cloud in Brighter hears suddenly the morse code signal on the hi-hat and the most heavy, yet also the most beautiful war epic Maiden wrote this decade has begun)
5) Blood Brothers (Perhaps the best of the slower songs written by Steve, very emotional lyrics. Seems fitting to fit this in now after the first four tracks to catch some breath!)
6) Rainmaker (Need a short rocker to pick up the tempo again, and I'm gonna do this with this little forgotten track, why Maiden never did more with this track is beyond me, one of the better Murray penned songs!!)
7) Coming Home (Second favorite track from The Final Frontier, just a great track where the band really shines)
8 ) Lord of Light (the ending of Coming Home fits pretty well with the start of this great track. When I first got into AMOLAD I was ecstatic about this track and still is, the best from that album I feel!)
9) Starblind (not much to say here, just the best track from the new album)
10) The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (Perfect way to end an album, I was considering picking Where The Wild Winds....But this one takes it, fantastic song with some great lyrics and arrangements to close up an album)

So there you go, phew  :lol:

01. Satellite 15...The Final Frontier
02. Brave New World
03. The Longest Day
04. Rainmaker
05. Dance Of Death
06. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
07. For The Greater Good Of God
08. The Talisman
09. The Nomad
10. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate

Yes, that should be the perfect Maiden album from the 00's. Just burn a CD with that tracklist and you don't need any words to describe its bliss.

Good list Cosmiceddie. I'll try and play it in that order, see how it sounds. I did consider swapping Blood Brothers with Brave New World in my list..That song is so good as well. Nice to see more love for The Thin Line and Rainmaker!  :edmetal:

1.The Wicker Man
2.Rainmaker
3.Brave New World
4.Dance of Death
5.Isle of Avalon
6.Starblind
7.For the Greater Good of God
8.Paschendale
9.The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
10.When the Wild Wind Blows

Hi SixesAlltheway, I guess you didn't realize it but a similar topic already exists:
Favorite Songs of 'Modern Era of Iron Maiden'

It kind of has the same idea:
So whats say we keep it to nore more than 10, no less than 5 of your favorite songs, songs that really get you passionate about them, Maiden, etc., since the return of Bruce D. on "Brave New World".

Still you say 10 songs and the other topic says between 5 and 10. And you are focussing more on an album context, so it might influence some people's choices.

So, come to think of it, it's different enough, and I'd be glad to join.

I'd like to do this, (and I didn't take part in that older topic), but if you don't mind I wait a bit with elaborating on the songs. I'd like to post about these songs in the song topics, which might still take a while, since we're busy with Fear of the Dark at the moment.

Forostar said:
Hi SixesAlltheway, I guess you didn't realize it but this topic already exists:
Favorite Songs of 'Modern Era of Iron Maiden'

It kind of has the same idea:
So whats say we keep it to nore more than 10, no less than 5 of your favorite songs, songs that really get you passionate about them, Maiden, etc., since the return of Bruce D. on "Brave New World".

Still you say 10 songs and the other topic says between 5 and 10.

I'd like to do this, because I didn't take part in that older topic, but if you don't mind I wait a bit with elaborating on the songs. I'd like to post about these songs in the song topics, which might still take a while, since we're busy with Fear of the Dark at the moment.

I did try a few searches before writing this thread up, but came up blank. Maybe I wasn't specific enough or just missed keywords. Yeah no problem, contribute when you can! Its a nice little excercise and quite hard too!  :ok:

1. The Wicker Man: Maiden almost always start an album with a rocker, and this is possibly the best rocker from the reunion era.
2. These Colours Don't Run: Most of the best second tracks are semi-epics (Revelations, Infinite Dreams, Children of the Damned, Remember Tomorrow), and this is one of the best of them.
3. Dance of Death: Now it's time for an epic, and I'm putting Dance of Death here to have some distance between it and Paschendale.
4. Isle of Avalon: The atmosphere is very similar to Dance of Death, so it's a perfect follow-up.
5. Dream of Mirrors: I happen to like epics, and this is another less "serious" epic (in subject matter, as compared to what follows), so it fits here most naturally.
6. The Alchemist: Time to pick up a little speed again, so here's another candidate for best reunion rocker.
7. Starblind: This album would not be complete without this song, and since it's number 7 on the original album, why not here?
8. Brighter than a Thousand Suns: A superb Smith epic followed by another superb Smith epic: what's not to like?
9. Blood Brothers: A bit of lightening up the mood before a heavy ending:
10. Paschendale: All of the ending tracks work for their respective albums, but removed from context, they wouldn't work as well.  So, Paschendale is promoted to finishing track.  

Credits:
Harris: 10
Smith: 6
Dickinson: 5
Gers: 3
Murray: 0

SixesAlltheway said:
I did try a few searches before writing this thread up, but came up blank. Maybe I wasn't specific enough or just missed keywords. Yeah no problem, contribute when you can! Its a nice little excercise and quite hard too!  :ok:

Cheers, also if interested check this topic which is the same but then without TFF.

I did this a short while ago, and came up with a list and flow that really worked well-

1.  The Wicker Man- this is the best lead off track from the last 4 albums

2.  Ghost of the Navigator- I always pair this with Wicker Man as it flows so well.  This is one of my favorite reunion era songs

3.  Brighter Than A Thousand Suns-  time to go epic here and this one is a heavy beast

4.  Coming Home- I prefer this slightly over Out of the Shadows when it comes to balladry.

5.  Rainmaker- great single and a fantastic rocker track with a great melody.  

6.  Paschendale- time to get into the real meat of the album and this song has few equals.  Probably my favorite reunion era song

7.  These Colours Don't Run- great song that's epic but not overlong with some great guitar work.

8.  Starblind-  this is my second favorite reunion era track and basically consists of everything that I love about modern Iron Maiden.  Flawless

9.  The Fallen Angel- this song has really grown on me over time.  It's one of the more classic 80's sounding songs they've done.  Great stuff.

10.  The Legacy-   my favorite closer of the era and makes for a great ending, especially with that final chord.

This was actually pretty hard as there are only a few newer songs that I don't love.  

As long as people explain their choices, I won't have to move this thread :) Please help it become a discussion.

1 The Wicker Man... My favorite album opener, so what better to start with...
2 The Alchemist... Maintain that strong beginning...
3 Brighter Than a Thousand Suns... Time for something a little more epic...
4 The Man Who Would Be King... Another long one, like BTATS, sounds better every time I listen to it...
5 The Thin Line Between Love and Hate... let's put two of Dave's in a row... never been done, has it?
6 The Final Frontier... Time for another straight ahead rocker...(note...the "Satellite 15" piece at the beginning isn't included... I can't stand it...)
7 Paschendale... The masterpiece is of course included...
8 Starblind... The other masterpiece is of course included...
9 Lord of Light... Included because it's such a fucking awesome tune... good enough reason?
10 The Legacy... IMO the third greatest effort of the band, ranking after the two masterpieces...

1: The Wickerman-Anything I can say has already been said
2: El Dorado-A Great 2nd tune
3: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns-A good epic
4: Starblind-My 3rd Favorite reunion song
5: Isle Of Avalon-My 2nd Favorite Reunion Song
6: Paschendale-my favorite reunion song
7: Face In The Sand-Seems to work well after Paschendale
8: Lord of Light-Easily my favorite AMOLAD tune
9: The Man Who Would Be King-Got to have a Murray song
10: The Legacy-Great way to close a Great album. (Journeyman a close runnerup)

For me it was all about track flow and texture — something for every mood.
I'd love to find a spot for a headbanger — the Alchemist would be my choice between five and six — but you only gave us 10 slots.
Not necessarily my 10 favourite songs, but not that far off either.

1. Final Frontier — Need a strong, straight-ahead rocker to open and I'll take this one over Wickerman
2. These Colours Don't Run — perfect mix of rocker and epic to go in slot #2
3. Brave New World — epic, melodic and exactly what I look for as a number three
4. Rainmaker — need something quick and catchy here and this is best  melodic rocker of the past 10 years
5. The Longest Day — Let's close out side one with an epic that's way underloved on this forum
6. Wickerman — another rocker to open side two
7. Starblind — Need something special here and isn't this the best track seven in the catalogue?
8. Paschendale — had to be included and this looks like an appropriate spot. (Now that's a one-two punch.)
9. Blood Brothers — need to slow the tempo down a little and this just seems like the right feel to follow PFD
10. When The Wild Wind Blows — Best closer of the modern era, right up there with the best of all time.

Now excuse me while I go burn this CD.

mckindog said:
... ...

I guess I need to do that as well. I came up quickly with my nine favourites (so nine tracks would be easier for me ;) ), but had no less than nine candidates for the tenth. I played all nine, made a smaller group of four, but still couldn't make up my mind which one to choose.

I'll see if I can just pick a song, good for the flow and hopefully bringing some balance, without feeling "unhappy" because I didn't choose a better track out of one of the other eight/three.

1. The Wicker Man
2. These Colours Don't Run
3. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
4. The Fallen Angel
5. The Longest Day
6. Out of the Silent Planet
7. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
8. Paschendale
9. For the Greater Good of God
10. When the Wild Wind Blows

Very tough, and I may change it later :D

1 - Isle of Avalon: proggy opener with epic atmospheric intro to set the tone of the album. Not since The X Factor has a longer song opened a Maiden album
2 - Brighter Than a Thousand Suns: opening bass line soon blasts into a very heavy riff-fest. Incredible pre-chorus and chorus. Contains gallops 
3 - When The Wild Wind Blows: the musical centrepiece and continuation of the proggy theme of the album. One of Maiden's finest ever. The 3 Amigos all contribute solos that will remain in your brain until your final hours
4 - The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg: another mid-tempo heavy monster of a song somewhat reminiscent of Flight of Icarus. Opens with a haunting melody from Murray who also pulls off one of his most emotional sounding solos
5 - The Alchemist: the pace picks up temporarily with this Gers rocker which is seemingly a straightforward song. Yet on repeated listen the number of different riffs is astounding. Gers pulls off the best solo on TFF.
6 - Those Fighting Wars:
Part I - These Colours Don't Run: Murray's favourite solo on AMOLAD is Smith's thoughtful pickings on this track. I agree
Part II: Mother of Mercy: A compact number full of heavy riffs. Nico's drumming is sublime
Part III - The Longest Day: an underrated classic, my favourite off AMOLAD. Phenomenal guitars throughout, one of the greatest instrumental sections ever, Dickinson's voice is stellar, Murray's solo has made me cry in the past
Part IV - For The Greater Good of God: love the guitarwork during the verses and the instrumental section is pure, classic Maiden
10 - Starblind: the album closes with one of their finest

It's a proggy album. It dig that big time! No space for BNW or DOD unfortunately. I tried to squeeze some in but they didn't fit what I was trying to create.  M listening to this playlist right now... \m/

mckindog said:
I'd love to find a spot for a headbanger — the Alchemist would be my choice between five and six — but you only gave us 10 slots.

1. Final Frontier — Need a strong, straight-ahead rocker to open and I'll take this one over Wickerman
2. These Colours Don't Run — perfect mix of rocker and epic to go in slot #2
3. Brave New World — epic, melodic and exactly what I look for as a number three
4. Rainmaker — need something quick and catchy here and this is best  melodic rocker of the past 10 years
5. The Longest Day — Let's close out side one with an epic that's way underloved on this forum
6. Wickerman — another rocker to open side two
7. Starblind — Need something special here and isn't this the best track seven in the catalogue?
8. Paschendale — had to be included and this looks like an appropriate spot. (Now that's a one-two punch.)
9. Blood Brothers — need to slow the tempo down a little and this just seems like the right feel to follow PFD
10. When The Wild Wind Blows — Best closer of the modern era, right up there with the best of all time.

Now excuse me while I go burn this CD.

I like that, but I'd probably try to fit Isle of Avalon somewhere in there, and go with The Legacy as my closer of choice.

Great albums all, great to see people putting thought into their list and very enjoyabe to make a playlist afterward and listen to the songs in a new order  :ok:

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
1 - Isle of Avalon: proggy opener with epic atmospheric intro to set the tone of the album. Not since The X Factor has a longer song opened a Maiden album
2 - Brighter Than a Thousand Suns: opening bass line soon blasts into a very heavy riff-fest. Incredible pre-chorus and chorus. Contains gallops 
3 - When The Wild Wind Blows: the musical centrepiece and continuation of the proggy theme of the album. One of Maiden's finest ever. The 3 Amigos all contribute solos that will remain in your brain until your final hours
4 - The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg: another mid-tempo heavy monster of a song somewhat reminiscent of Flight of Icarus. Opens with a haunting melody from Murray who also pulls off one of his most emotional sounding solos
5 - The Alchemist: the pace picks up temporarily with this Gers rocker which is seemingly a straightforward song. Yet on repeated listen the number of different riffs is astounding. Gers pulls off the best solo on TFF.
6 - Those Fighting Wars:
Part I - These Colours Don't Run: Murray's favourite solo on AMOLAD is Smith's thoughtful pickings on this track. I agree
Part II: Mother of Mercy: A compact number full of heavy riffs. Nico's drumming is sublime
Part III - The Longest Day: an underrated classic, my favourite off AMOLAD. Phenomenal guitars throughout, one of the greatest instrumental sections ever, Dickinson's voice is stellar, Murray's solo has made me cry in the past
Part IV - For The Greater Good of God: love the guitarwork during the verses and the instrumental section is pure, classic Maiden
10 - Starblind: the album closes with one of their finest

It's a proggy album. It dig that big time! No space for BNW or DOD unfortunately. I tried to squeeze some in but they didn't fit what I was trying to create.  M listening to this playlist right now... \m/
Have a praise, that's a fantastic playlist.

Back