Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: Finals!

Vote for your favorite song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just thinking about Jackson Browne now... Running On Empty is his only song in the game. Another song, "The Load-Out / Stay" nearly made the list. Even if I'm not a Browne fan, I might have voted for The Load-Out against a weak opponent. Every musician has to appreciate the lyrics, and the way it literally melts into "Stay" is brilliant.

I like Running On Empty, but isn't pretty much the song that punk was invented to destroy? That and Seger's Turn the Page?

Partially. However, most of what I've read indicates that English punk acts were more opposed to English artists, with Yes and all their pretentiousness being an especially big offender.

I've never perceived American punk like the Ramones being a reaction to then-current music the way English punk was. I mean, I know the reaction was a part of it, but the Ramones are just a 3-chord rock band with a playbook straight out of the 50s. If that's punk, so is Motorhead. I think of Ramones as rock 'n' roll (as opposed to rock, with rock 'n' roll being the continuation of the 50s style).

I have a bit of a problem with the voice of Ian Anderson, but Chris Squire's bass playing is irresistible in this track.

I am surprised by the two Foreigner songs I have heard until now. Why? Because they are unknown to me. I remember at least three or four Foreigner hits, which were often on the radio. Maybe these songs are still ahead of us in the game? Unless Foreigner's succesful period in Europe was a different one from the one in the US.

Last edited:
Maybe these songs are still ahead of us in the game?

There are 6 Foreigner songs in the game. "Hot Blooded" beat "Jamie's Cryin'", and "Feels Like The First Time" lost to "Sharp Dressed Man". There are 3 remaining to be revealed.

But I will reveal two that missed the cut: "Waiting For A Girl Like You" and "I Want To Know What Love Is", two ballads that were actually their biggest hits on the singles charts. No ballads here; all the Foreigner songs in the game are rockers.

"Purple Haze" is simply on a different level.
"Running on Empty" is listenable, "Glory Days" is the kind of Springsteen I can't stand.
Progsnob? That's me! "Roundabout", here I come.
"Double Vision" is tolerable for a Foreigner song, but it doesn't stand a chance. I'll follow the "White Rabbit".

... but the Ramones are just a 3-chord rock band with a playbook straight out of the 50s. If that's punk, so is Motorhead. I think of Ramones as rock 'n' roll (as opposed to rock, with rock 'n' roll being the continuation of the 50s style).

I think of the Ramones as a kind of experiment in rock 'n' roll minimalism. Two minute songs, three chords, steady beat, lyrics that express common themes in as few words as possible, and so on. How much can you strip away and still write "normal" songs?

It's really a form of prog rock! <_<

Last edited:
I have a bit of a problem with the voice of Ian Anderson, but Chris Squire's bass playing is irresistible in this track.

I am surprised by the two Foreigner songs I have heard until now. Why? Because they are unknown to me. I remember at least three or four Foreigner hits, which were often on the radio. Maybe these songs are still ahead of us in the game? Unless Foreigner's succesful period in Europe was a different one from the one in the US.
Uh...Ian Anderson? You're sure you're talking about the right band?
.........it's Jon Anderson.

Uh...Ian Anderson? You're sure you're talking about the right band?
.........it's Jon Anderson.

Jon Anderson is one of my least favorite singers and it's one of the main reasons why I dislike Yes despite being an avid prog fan.

Jon Anderson is really an acquired taste. It took me quite a few years to be able to even tolerate his voice and even then I still don't know if I like it much. Yes' vocal arrangements are awesome though, They really took advantage of cool harmonies, I especially like when the voice is used as a texture in the instrumental sections, something they did a lot around the period of Close to the Edge and Relayer.

Back