Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 512 to 256, Round 22 of 64

This round introduces the #43 seed and its challengers...

A43.png

"Paint It Black" (The Rolling Stones) [43] vs. "You Better You Bet" (The Who) [470]
"Paint It Black" (The Rolling Stones) - 1966 - #1 US and UK
Ranked by 10 of 13 radio stations, highest in Ontario: #27

"You Better You Bet" (The Who) - 1981 - #9 UK, #18 US
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #91

"Life In The Fast Lane" (The Eagles) [214] vs. "Rockin' In The Free World" (Neil Young) [299]
"Life In The Fast Lane" (The Eagles) - 1976 - #11 US
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #61

"Rockin' In The Free World" (Neil Young) - 1989 - #2 US (Mainstream Rock chart)
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #12

"Under The Bridge" (Red Hot Chili Peppers) [86] vs. "Call Me The Breeze" (Lynyrd Skynyrd) [427]
"Under The Bridge" (Red Hot Chili Peppers) - 1992 - #2 US, #13 UK
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Los Angeles: #3

"Call Me The Breeze" (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - 1974
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #146

"Every Breath You Take" (The Police) [171] vs. "Rock And Roll Fantasy" (Bad Company) [342]
"Every Breath You Take" (The Police) - 1983 - #1 US and UK
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #5

"Rock And Roll Fantasy" (Bad Company) - 1979
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #98

One day left for Round 19
Also open: Round 20 , Round 21

Rock and Roll Fantasy is awesome. It's my favorite Bad Company song.

I like the Who and Police songs a lot and that is one of Young's finest.
And I am one of the forum's few RHCP fans.

My votes:

It was the release of Faces Dances that got me into The Who when I was 10 years old, and I'm voting for the first Who song I ever heard. You Better You Bet

Not a huge fan of this Neil Young song, though I have warmed up to it somewhat over the years. I gotta go Eagles: rocks hard, and the lyrics don't bring you down. Plus it has Joe Walsh. Life In The Fast Lane

Under The Bridge, not even close there.

If you wanna sing about rock and roll fantasies, Bad Co did it much better on "Shooting Star". The Police song is superb in all aspects. Every Breath You Take

one of the forum's few RHCP fans

Didn't think they were unpopular here... just not mentioned so often because they're not metal.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are the best live band on the planet. Yes, better than Maiden. They are the Rolling Stones of this century IMO, just like the Foos are the current Zeppelin.

Better live band than Maiden when their singer sings off key so often (or clearly more often than Bruce)?

Yep. I don't hear him as off key at all, it's just a different approach. Besides, the Chilis are the better live band IMO because they improvise substantially. You don't always know what's going to happen next musically. Iron Maiden executes an immaculate performance, but the Chilis push themselves much harder.

I hate voting against what's probably the last great Who song, but "Paint It Black" is too good.
Not a fan of either - both songs sound rather tired to me - but "Life in the Fast Lane" has a bit more excitement.
Skynyrd is listenable, but "Under the Bridge" is way better.
Every game you play, I will vote for you.

I have never liked a single thing that the Chili Peppers have ever done. Especially Under the Bridge. Horrible.

Stones, Neil Young, Skynyrd (not my favorite of theirs, but even that godawful 4 Non Blondes "What's Going On" song might beat Under the Bridge [EDIT: no, that's going too far]), and Bad Company in a close call.

I don't care for RHCP myself but I really dislike Lynyrd Skynyrd, hence my vote for Under the Bridge. Only RHCP song that I'd say I "like" would be 'Can't Stop'. I do really like John Frusciante's solo work though, highly recommended.

RHCP are okay. Some good tracks, some bad tracks.
This. Nothing that really grabs my attention but nothing offensively bad either.

I don't doubt what SMX has said about their live show though, based on videos I've seen and stories I've heard about their early gigs.

Back