• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chilis have one of the best rhythm sections in rock and Frusciante plays with so much feel.
Keidis is the weak link musically, but he is a rock star and every band needs one.

Keidis is the weak link musically, but he is a rock star and every band needs one.

Exactly. I know what Foro means by "out of tune singing", but "in tune" isn't the goal of the way performs. Hell, most (probably all) good blues and soul singing is "out of tune", the whole point is how.

the Chilis are the better live band IMO because they improvise substantially. You don't always know what's going to happen next musically. Iron Maiden executes an immaculate performance, but the Chilis push themselves much harder.
Iryo, but for me, improvising too much is a bad thing. It bores me when a band starts improvising instead of playing a song the way it's supposed to be played... What really drew me into Maiden when I was getting into metal is that they always played everything the way it was played in the studio, apart from few closing songs like Running Free or Sanctuary.

Chilis have one of the best rhythm sections in rock and Frusciante plays with so much feel.

I thoroughly disagree with the first notion. Chad Smith is a mediocre drummer. Flea and Frusciante are the only members to write home about and Frusciante is miles better on his solo records.

Chad Smith isn't technically great or anything but he and Flea can seriously hold down a tight groove. Great musical chemistry between those two.

Exactly. I know what Foro means by "out of tune singing", but "in tune" isn't the goal of the way performs. Hell, most (probably all) good blues and soul singing is "out of tune", the whole point is how.

That statement is absurd. If someone says that singing in tune is not "their thing", then they don't know how to sing. Find me a good blues or soul singer who is consistently off-pitch, flat, sharp, or just plain tone deaf.

o_O They are hands down the worst major act I ever saw live. They are my number one example when I cite bad live bands. I've never been to a gig where the performance felt so lackluster, underwhelming and disengaging.

Absolutely. Terrible live band.

That statement is absurd. If someone says that singing in tune is not "their thing", then they don't know how to sing. Find me a good blues or soul singer who is consistently off-pitch, flat, sharp, or just plain tone deaf.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest "consistently" out of tune ... but deliberately out of tune at critical times is common. We call them blue notes. ;)

I would argue, though, that though a blue note might be dissonant or contrasting, it is not inherently "out of tune" with the chords or music being played. Whereas someone being flat or sharp or simply singing in an irrelevant key is "out of tune" with the music.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 512 to 256, Round 26 of 64

This round introduces the #39 seed and its challengers...

A39.png

"Let It Be" (The Beatles) [39] vs. "I Will Follow" (U2) [474]
"Let It Be" (The Beatles) - 1970 - #1 US, #2 UK
Ranked by 10 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #18

"I Will Follow" (U2) - 1980
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #133

"Heroes" (David Bowie) [218] vs. "Rock Of Ages" (Def Leppard) [295]
"Heroes" (David Bowie) - 1977 - #24 UK
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Seattle: #16

"Rock Of Ages" (Def Leppard) - 1983 - #16 US, #41 UK
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #84

"Life's Been Good" (Joe Walsh) [90] vs. "My Best Friend's Girl" (The Cars) [423]
"Life's Been Good" (Joe Walsh) - 1978 - #12 US, #14 UK
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #12

"My Best Friend's Girl" (The Cars) - 1978 - #3 UK, #35 US
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #115

"Bad To The Bone" (George Thorogood) [167] vs. "Into The Mystic" (Van Morrison) [346]
"Bad To The Bone" (George Thorogood) - 1982 - #27 US (Mainstream Rock chart)
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #90

"Into The Mystic" (Van Morrison) - 1970
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #13

One day left for Round 23
Also open: Round 24 , Round 25

My votes:

Start of U2' career vs end of the Beatles'. Let It Be
Gunter glieben glauchen globen. Rock Of Ages.
You call those Cars? My Maserati does 185. Life's Been Good
Tough choice on the last. Van Morrison is beautiful as always, but he's not Bad To The Bone.

I find the last four songs incredibly dull. My grandfather's small toe rocks more, even though he died in 1978.

Last edited:
"Let It Be", though I like that U2 song more than most of their later stuff.
"Heroes" (song and album) may be the best thing Bowie ever did. (Funny how many artists do their best work with Brian Eno...)
At last, a pretty good Cars song that's better than the opposition!
Can't argue with somebody who's "Into the Mystic" ('cause he won't make any sense).

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 512 to 256, Round 30 of 64

This round introduces the #35 seed and its challengers...

A35.png

"In The Air Tonight" (Phil Collins) [35] vs. "Us And Them" (Pink Floyd) [478]
"In The Air Tonight" (Phil Collins) - 1981 - #2 UK, #19 US
Ranked by 9 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #30

"Us And Them" (Pink Floyd) - 1973 - #101 US
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #83

"All Right Now" (Free) [222] vs. "Touch Of Grey" (The Grateful Dead) [291]
"All Right Now" (Free) - 1970 - #1 US, #2 UK
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #161

"Touch Of Grey" (The Grateful Dead) - 1987 - #9 US
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #104

"I Want You To Want Me" (Cheap Trick) [94] vs. "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan) [419]
"I Want You To Want Me" (Cheap Trick) - 1977 (studio) - #7 US, #29 UK (both 1979 Live At Budokan version)
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #16

"Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan) - 1973 - #12 US, #14 UK
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Atlanta: #73

"Burning Down The House" (Talking Heads) [163] vs. "The One I Love" (R.E.M.) [350]
"Burning Down The House" (Talking Heads) - 1983 - #9 US
Ranked by 8 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #112

"The One I Love" (R.E.M.) - 1987 - #9 US, #16 UK
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Atlanta: #102

One day left for Round 27
Also open: Round 28 , Round 29

Back