• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All pretty good songs, but the only one that made me think twice was the first pairing. I very much like "Born to Run." Yet of all the songs Paul McCartney has written -- and he has written a lot of great and famous songs -- "Yesterday" might be his best. Two minutes of pure, poetic perfection.

"Seven Nation Army" is the definitive rock song of this millennium so far; "One" is better constructed than the Metallica ballad; and "Paradise City" rulz.

I have a strange reaction to Seven Nation Army. Anytime I hear it by chance, I like it. For instance, I caught the last half of Dancing With The Stars last night, and they were dancing to it, and it sounded great.

But, every time I play it on purpose, it falls flat. Not sure why.

Here Comes The Sun helped me out of my depression. That's why I love it even more. It's not just a good song, it was a lifesaver!

To see it lose to freaking Guns N' Roses...ugh.

Heh. I actually find Paradise City to be a very uplifting song. I think "take me down to the paradise city" is a very positive vibe.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 256 to 128, Round 22 of 32

These songs battle for the #11 position...

B11.png

"Sympathy For The Devil" (The Rolling Stones) [11] vs. "Brass In Pocket" (The Pretenders) [246]
"Sympathy For The Devil", live in 1968:
(Pete Townshend dancing with Keith Moon at 4:32, John Lennon spazzing out at 4:54)

"Brass In Pocket", live in 1979:

"Beautiful Day" (U2) [118] vs. "Hey You" (Pink Floyd) [139]
"Beautiful Day", live in 2000:

"Hey You", live in 1980:

"Money For Nothing" (Dire Straits) [54] vs. "Everlong" (Foo Fighters) [203]
"Money For Nothing", live (with Sting) in 1985:

"Everlong", live in 1997:

"Train In Vain" (The Clash) [75] vs. "Rock You Like A Hurricane" (Scorpions) [182]
"Train In Vain", live in 1980:

"Rock You Like A Hurricane", live in 1985:

One day left for Round 19
Also open: Round 20 , Round 21

Stones, easily.
Hey U2, out there in the cold, getting lonely, getting old...
Foo Fighters.
The Clash will rock you like a hurricane and go reggae before Scorpions have reached moderate wind speed.

My votes:

Stones song is a giant. Highest-seeded Stones song in the game, and I agree with that. Sympathy For The Devil
Not a great Floyd song, but better than the U2. Hey You
Foo's last song in the game. They should advance. Cheesy MTV commercial should not. Everlong
I'm still a metalhead; I have obligations to fulfill. Rock You Like A Hurricane

Is U2 the band with most songs in the game? It feels like there is a U2 song in every round lately.

All the artists with 6 or more songs:
Rolling Stones - 20
Led Zeppelin - 19
Beatles - 17
Pink Floyd - 13
Van Halen - 13
Petty, Tom - 11
U2 - 11
Aerosmith - 10
AC/DC - 9
Doors - 9
Eagles - 9
Queen - 9
Bowie, David - 8
Who - 8
Fleetwood Mac - 7
Hendrix, Jimi - 7
Springsteen, Bruce - 7
Foreigner - 6
Lynyrd Skynyrd - 6
Miller, Steve - 6

Those are the numbers from the start of the game. In Phase One, U2 won 9 of 11 matches.

At the start of Phase Two:
Beatles - 14
Stones, Zeppelin - 13
U2 - 9
(these are the top four, everyone else has less)

After "Beautiful Day", there is only one more U2 song to appear in this phase ("New Year's Day", 3 days from now).

In other words: you can blame the Floyd-haters and Petty-haters in Phase One for U2's current prominence. :cool:

Last edited:

I know they are popular. But they look out of place in that group, at least to my eyes :D Van Halen with the same score as Floyd is also head-scratching!

2 of the source lists came from "alternative rock" stations, and U2 was the main band who both "classic" and "alternative" stations like. So, U2 did get a big boost from that: more songs and higher seeds.

On the other hand, those same "alternative" sources are the reason we had so much Bowie (8 songs) plus a fair selection of 90's songs. If I were to omit the "alternative" sources, the list would have had even more Petty and Van Halen.

One of my favourite Foo Fighters vs one of the not very great Dire Straits hits (not the type of Straits I prefer).

Mega Classic Rock Knockout: 256 to 128, Round 26 of 32

These songs battle for the #7 position...

B07.png

"Imagine" (John Lennon) [7] vs. "D'yer Ma'ker" (Led Zeppelin) [263]
"Imagine", live in 1972:

"D'yer Ma'ker", live in 2006:
Couldn't find a video of Zep playing this live. So here a cover by Stefani Germanotta, who would become famous as Lady Gaga two years later.

"Walk On The Wild Side" (Lou Reed) [122] vs. "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" (AC/DC) [135]
"Walk On The Wild Side", live in 1982:

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", live in 1983:

Back