Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: Finals!

Vote for your favorite song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 256 to 128, Round 12 of 32

These songs battle for the #21 position...

B21.png

"Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2" (Pink Floyd) [21] vs. "Brown Sugar" (The Rolling Stones) [277]
"Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2", live in 1980:

"Brown Sugar", live in 1972:

"Solsbury Hill" (Peter Gabriel) [108] vs. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" (Crosby, Stills & Nash) [149]
"Solsbury Hill", live in 1978:

"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", live in 1969:

"American Pie" (Don McLean) [44] vs. "Ziggy Stardust" (David Bowie) [213]
"American Pie", live in 1972:

"Ziggy Stardust", live in 1973:

"Barracuda" (Heart) [85] vs. "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" (Yes) [172]
"Barracuda", live in 1978:

"Owner Of A Lonely Heart", live in 1984:

One day left for Round 9
Also open: Round 10 , Round 11

Editorial aside: the eight live videos in this group are, IMO, the best group of vids yet. Every one is superb.

My votes:
I still can't believe it was seeded all the way down at 277. Brown Sugar
Which is more prog, a song in 7/4 or an epic with multiple sections? Suite Judy Blue Eyes
This'll be the day that I die. American Pie
Very tough on the last, but Heart rocks it harder. Barracuda

Stones. The Floyd song really doesn't work outside its album context.
"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", though I always start thinking about Billy the Mountain when I hear it...
"American Pie" has the edge.
"Barracuda" is a lot of fun.

A lot of good songs this round.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 256 to 128, Round 16 of 32

These songs battle for the #17 position...

B17.png

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" (U2) [17] vs. "Ramblin' Man" (Allman Brothers Band) [240]
"Sunday Bloody Sunday", live in 1983:

"Ramblin' Man", live in 1972:

"Rhiannon" (Fleetwood Mac) [401] vs. "Summer Of '69" (Bryan Adams) [145]
"Rhiannon", live in 1976:

"Summer Of '69", live in 1986:

"Pride (In The Name Of Love)" (U2) [48] vs. "Changes" (David Bowie) [209]
"Pride (In The Name Of Love)", live in 1984:
(Video and audio go out of sync halfway through. Sorry.)

"Changes", live in 1973:

"I Love Rock 'n' Roll" (Joan Jett) [81] vs. "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" (Elton John) [337]
"I Love Rock 'n' Roll", live in 1982:

"Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting", live in 1974:

One day left for Round 13
Also open: Round 14 , Round 15

My votes:

Love the guitar work on the Allmans tune, but SBS is serious stuff. Back when Bono was just earnest, not pretentious. This was a standard back in the 80s. Every drummer hadda know that opening drum part, every guitarist that lick. One of those songs like Purple Haze, where in a jam with musicians you'd never met, you could be sure everyone knew SBS. It really stood out as a special song from the beginning. Sunday Bloody Sunday

I'm not a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but even less of a Bryan Adams fan. Plus, so far as Mac goes, this is on the better side. Rhiannon

The third pair is close to even, but I give it to U2 because their song has a great drive. Bowie is a bit too much stop and start on this one for me. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Nothing against Joan Jett, but this Elton song is too much fun. Great performance on the video, Xmas eve 1974 at Madison Square Garden, just about the peak of his career before disco showed up in 1975. Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

My votes:

Love the guitar work on the Allmans tune, but SBS is serious stuff. Back when Bono was just earnest, not pretentious. This was a standard back in the 80s. Every drummer hadda know that opening drum part, every guitarist that lick. One of those songs like Purple Haze, where in a jam with musicians you'd never met, you could be sure everyone knew SBS. It really stood out as a special song from the beginning. Sunday Bloody Sunday

I'm not a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but even less of a Bryan Adams fan. Plus, so far as Mac goes, this is on the better side. Rhiannon

The third pair is close to even, but I give it to U2 because their song has a great drive. Bowie is a bit too much stop and start on this one for me. Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Nothing against Joan Jett, but this Elton song is too much fun. Great performance on the video, Xmas eve 1974 at Madison Square Garden, just about the peak of his career before disco showed up in 1975. Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
I thought Bowie's stop and start on Changes was pretty good. Although, it doesn't compare to the kings of stop and start: Rush.

Both U2 songs and Rhiannon are easy choices for me. The last pairing is closer, but I disagree with SMX--the Joan Jett song is more fun and a lot more anthemic. Even my kids like it. It's a timeless classic.

Also, let me be the first to state the obvious: If Saturday night's all right for fighting, you might have yourself a bloody Sunday afterward.

I thought Bowie's stop and start on Changes was pretty good. Although, it doesn't compare to the kings of stop and start: Rush.

Yeah, it's a mood thing. Today I was in the driving energy mood. Another day I might well have chosen Bowie.

Elton John down by 3 with about half the votes in. That's a surprise to me.

I am against violence against the Irish.
Obligatory Canadian artist vote.
Goblin King.
Sorry, Sir Elton. I Love Rock 'n' Roll.

U2x2
Mac easily
Jett in a close battle of two of the most fun rock anthems.

Back