• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know how SMX compiled this survivor...but consider this a more personal overall criticism on labeling "In The Air Tonight" a classic rock track. It's 80s pop IMO :D
It features one of the most iconic drum patterns in rock history. I am not kidding. Very prominent in the mix. Not important for the track? I really wonder if you are listening to the correct song, seriously.

Phil Collins is not a strange name in rock. We know his roots, we know his song writing capabilities, we know his drumming skills.

Now if we all knew how to estimate his best song... that would help!

Famous fill? I'm just asking..but is it famous? it sounds like a super normal around the kit fill to me....But yes..around that after the fill the song takes on a more sinister (?) feel and a cool groove. But "Nothing compares ..." does the same...just it "drowns" you out and in with a wave like beat...Just as "heavy".

Yes it is famous and very iconic. It is a unique pattern. From one drummer to the other: come on!

edit:

I am indeed talking about the fill.

About that Collins fill. It is not just a fill. It's a cross between a fill and a rhythmic pattern. At least, it is part of the rhythm in an interesting way. Definitely one of the most famous drumming moments in rock drum history.

Right, I get what you mean..it elevates the song and is unexpected.....the fill in itself is cool, I like it... but unique? the pattern is (as far as I can tell with my lousy terminology) 2 accented hits on the toms and one kick all around the kit??ending with two floor toms hits and then it goes into the beat?

Last edited:
Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush were so into these drums and sound, that they wanted to have the same on their albums.

Exactly. Like mckindog said...the fill is super easy but of course it has an impact when it breaks the mold like it does in a song like "In The Air Tonight" where the first 4 min are very quiet and all about the vocals and then it suddenly gets an extra "push". That's the beauty of his fill IMO...the total unexpectedness. But like when you break down WHAT he does - it's super simple.

Last edited:
You could argue about the technicality, but that fill likely is the most famous and recognizable drum fill of all time.

No...This is an equally recognizable drum fill...Play this and everyone will say " that's the drum fill in In Bloom!!" it's similar in structure to the Collins fill even...And if anyone is in doubt I'm talking about the tom pattern Grohl plays.

Last edited:
I didn't even recognize the drum fill without listening despite having heard the track countless times. :D

No really, In the Air Tonight drum fill is really difficult to beat in terms of recognizability. It was even featured in a scene with Mike Tyson in The Hangover, I think.

I didn't even recognize the drum fill without listening despite having heard the track countless times. :D

No really, In the Air Tonight drum fill is really difficult to beat in terms of recognizability. It was even featured in a scene with Mike Tyson in The Hangover, I think.

Agreed. The only one that comes close (for me) is the (very similar) fill in Sister Christian (and just about every other power ballad from a hair band).

Well...I'm a drummer and the fill in "In The Air Tonight" never meant anything to me or any other drummer I know.. but the In Bloom one certainly does..so there...guess that's just how we all perceive things and where we "come from" musically :)

Also, I guess there is a difference in how drummers look at these fills and how none drummers look at this? :D some of the stuff that "sounds the coolest" to non drummers is is often the most gimmicky, simplest stuff to play....

Last edited:
Again, I'm not talking about technique here. It doesn't matter if it's simple to play or difficult to play. And my opinion isn't exactly subjective either, I've based it upon what I've read over the years. It hardly has any personal connection with my musical upbringing, I first heard the track two years ago.

Back