Bruce's voice

A

Anonymous

Bruce's voice on a matter of life & death is incredible! He sounds the best on this 3rd album since re-joining the band. He really shines on "Breeg" at the end of the song when he holds that note for sooooooooo long. He hasn't sounded this good in a long time.

Agreed!  I'm over all the 'He sounds too far back in the mix' comments.  I like hearing him SING the song as he really sounds rather than the usual produced sound of records these days.  If he sounds a little strained I LOVE IT!!!!!  This was a wise decision!  He sounds more emotive because of this and he sounds great!!!!!

Bruce sounds hungry again as do the rest of the band.  I really think Bruce was more into this record than he's been on anything he's done recently.  Praise!

There's no denying the fact that he seems to sing marvelously there. I do wish that on certain songs like 'Lord of Light', 'These Colours don't run' and 'Different Word' his voice would be more in the foreground, though, because I think that it is too low in the mix there. Oddly enough this happens mostly during the verses of a song. As soon as he sings the pre/chorus, it sounds quite louder. This is maybe because that's when he sings more higher notes. I do wonder what Bruce's opinion would be. His voice was mixed much louder on the albums produced by Martin Birch. I mean, to me, the voice is still the most important thing, especially when it sounds so divine like his.

The Air Raid Siren is in top form on this one, reminding me of The Number of the Beast a bit. I can't believe he can wail like that on these songs without going hoarse mid-way through, but he manages beautifully.

His voice sounds amazing. I think its a big improvement over dance of death.

Bruce is one of the best singers of heavy-metal. Surely there are some people who don´t like his voice...but I´m talking about his technique, which is absolutely great, and no one who knows about singing can deny this.
I really liked his performance in 'AMOLAD', but in my opinion the vocals of 'A Tyranny of Souls' are better.

PS: The issue of 'No Prayer...' and 'Fear of the Dark' is a matter of tastes. Believe me, if he hadn´t experimented in those albums with his voice, you wouldn´t be listening to many great aspects of today´s Bruce voice.

I have to admit his singing is in good shape on this album, but at the same time you can tell he's doen it for 20-some-odd years.

Onhell said:
I have to admit his singing is in good shape on this album, but at the same time you can tell he's doen it for 20-some-odd years.

Yes...Maiden's debut was Somewhere in Time, which was Bruce's first vocal performance...ever :smartarse:

Anyway, I would agree with the general consensus.  Bruce's voice is getting on a bit, and he is (naturally!) beginning to lose some range, but rather than trying to strain himself to copy his old voice, he's changed it to fit his new singing.  The high vocals are just as good as the Golden Years, and his vocals on Lord of Light and The Legacy (both on the soft bits and the loud bits) are thoroughly haunting.

Raven said:
Yes...Maiden's debut was Somewhere in Time, which was Bruce's first vocal performance...ever :smartarse:

I do recall putty "some-odd years" after "20" :smartass: And you pretty much surmized what I was driving at.

It'll be interesting to hear how Bruce's voice voice holds up when they the UK tour in Dec. Especially as it'll be later in the tour rather than earlier. And a few weeks ago the rumour mill was that they might be playing the whole CD. A brave move (or...er...a brave new world?!!) that could be awesome, could end in tears.

Sadly me & the lads' gig of choice (well, the lads) was the NEC on Dec 12th. Not the best venue! but i'm sure Bruce, Arry & the boys won't let us down, whatever set they play. Can't wait.  \oo/

Onhell said:
Raven said:
...Bruce's voice is getting on a bit, and he is (naturally!) beginning to lose some range, but rather than trying to strain himself to copy his old voice, he's changed it to fit his new singing.
I disagree with you in the issue of Bruce´s vocal range and anything related to that.
First of all, because his best live performance with Maiden was 'Rock in Rio 2001'. Although many people are still looking back to the golden years, which I love of course, they don´t see how colourful and strong is Bruce´s current voice. It should be enough to listen to 'A Tyranny of Souls'.
By the way, there are MANY vocals in the present which are much more difficult than the ones in the past...

You cannot disagree that Bruce has lost a bit of his vocal range, Metalero. It's clear that he is no longer able to reach as high notes as he did in the early days. I think what you are trying to say is that eventhough his voice is getting old, he's adapting his style of singing to fit within the limits of his voice as it is now, thus you agree with what Onhell and Raven said. Your argument is that Rock in Rio was his best performance with Maiden, but that was 5 years ago and many things has happened since then.

It doesn´t matter how high are your notes...the thing is HOW do you get those notes, and Bruce´s current notes are MUCH more clear than in the early days. For those who hasn´t understood yet: vocal range ISN´T the space between your lowest and your highest note... :smartarse:
I mentioned 'Rock in Rio' at first, but then I added 'Tyranny of Souls' because I KNOW that RIR was 5 years ago and many things have happened since then (Bruce has improved his singing  ;) ), but man...these performances are by far closer to nowadays than the early days, don´t you think?
Finally, as a singer, I still disagree with you...

I like his voice more now than back in the 80's, part of it is that IT IS deeper, less screatchy and he doesn't seem to STRAIN his voice as much anymore. And it is because he is older and has been singing for more than 20 years. But I COMPLETELY disagree that RIR was anywhere near a good performance. I actually returned it after being completely disappointed. But then again, that's just me.

Onhell said:
But I COMPLETELY disagree that RIR was anywhere near a good performance. I actually returned it after being completely disappointed. But then again, that's just me.
I was just talking about Bruce. It´s his best (officially) documented show.

I saw Live after death a few days ago and realised that Bruce's voice is a lot better today than 20 years ago. Probably it has some to do with technique but it's also the voice of a mature man instead of a "wild" 20-something. Ok, his screams might have been higher (in range and volume) but today his voice is richer and he expresses emotions more with his voice now than during the 80s.
At least that's what I think.

Anomica said:
I saw Live after death a few days ago and realised that Bruce's voice is a lot better today than 20 years ago. Probably it has some to do with technique but it's also the voice of a mature man instead of a "wild" 20-something. Ok, his screams might have been higher (in range and volume) but today his voice is richer and he expresses emotions more with his voice now than during the 80s.

I really think Bruce is great regardless of the time period.  Since NPFTD and especially with AMOLAD Bruce is just trying new things.  His emotions are more expressive, but I think that has a lot to do with band maturity as a whole.  I think Bruce could have done this kind of work back in the 80s as well.  Listening to songs like Aces High, I say he has both emotion and the ability to carry high notes.  Also Children of the Damned sounds pretty emotional to me as well as unique vocals during the mellow part of Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  These are just examples I could think of on top of my head.

Anomica said:
I totally agree with you  :ok:
When you listen to 'Live After Death' and then 'Rock in Rio' you notice a big difference between them. By the way, you´re right: it´s because he´s been improving a lot his technique.
Genghis Khan said:
I think Bruce could have done this kind of work back in the 80s as well.
I don´t think so, mainly because the improvement as a singer involves a process that takes a lot of years.

Back