Bruce's voice straining

Forostar said:
To me his stuff in The Talisman sounds out of tune (or strained or flat or whatever -> it doesn't feel well).
I'm not going to answer all your questions, but these are the moments.

Thank you, which is exactly why I asked where.  So I could go listen to it without searching.  

He certainly is both a bit flat and sounds strained on some of those lines.  To be honest, I've been skipping over The Talisman.  It sounds like he has some trouble approaching some of the lines and hits them flat before raising up to the correct pitch.

But proper pitch is not what gives one a thick or thin voice.  You can have a very thin voice and be pitch perfect, or have a very thick voice and be flat or sharp, or both.

The thing is that every syllable is the same note, but I doubt if that note fits to all the chords underneath.
But I guess I'm influenced by the repetitiveness of this tone, which I find annoying.

I think Bruce's vocals are done that way on purpose, designed to give the impression of a bucking ship.

LooseCannon said:
I think Bruce's vocals are done that way on purpose, designed to give the impression of a bucking ship.

It's funny you say that, I was just listening to it and thinking "I wonder if he's trying to capture the feel of a ship in a storm".

PS. It's a good thing I'm on an IM forum discussing Bruce's vocals when I'm supposed to be closing two deals.  No wonder people have trouble working from home. :) 

Twarkle said:
It's funny you say that, I was just listening to it and thinking "I wonder if he's trying to capture the feel of a ship in a storm".

PS. It's a good thing I'm on an IM forum, when I'm supposed to be closing two deals.  No wonder people have trouble working from home. :)

I'm in a cubicle in an office building and still on the forum.

chaosapiant said:
I'm in a cubicle in an office building and still on the forum.

I'd be more productive in a cubicle, then I wouldn't have a one year old tugging on my leg, yelling "goo gah ahoooo" over and over.  These are the days I wish I would have stuck it out as a studio musician.  I swear, once I finish building my studio I will do no work at all and end up firing myself.

I'm not the kind of person who could run his own business, I like going to work, being told what to do, and leaving.  It's so much simpler.  And to keep this topic (my own topic) on track....Bruce's voice rocks!

Forostar said:
When he (or 'Arry with his vocal melodies) makes the right choices, yes.

Just my opinion here, but I think this is why Bruce sounds better on his solo albums than the newer Maiden material.  With his own material he's writing within his comfort zone, but with Maiden he's usually singing melodies dictated by Steve.

Forostar said:
But normally he gets away with it, I mean, normally it doesn't sound like this.

Do you dislike most of his vocals on TFF?  I think overall he sounds better than he has on a Maiden album since BNW.

I really like his vocals. They sound a bit rougher (different from NPFTD which I also like by the way), you hear a slightly different vibration. At times it also sounds like he's had a cold or something, but not too much. Maybe it's his age. But I don't mind that. He reaches all the high notes.

On WTWWB, it's bit different, maybe because there are not many high parts. The best thing of this track is Bruce. He sings in an almost bluesy way, very relaxed. I love the way he sings along with the guitar:

"... He sees the picture on the wall, it's falling down... etc."

Very smooth, great feel.

Forostar said:

Very smooth, great feel.

That section is my favorite vocal of the album.  He's reserved in his delivery, but it's filled with emotion.  He gets across beautifully what's going on at that point of the story.

Yes mine too.

Perhaps not the favourite moment of the album, but yes, it is the favourite vocal moment of the album.

Forostar said:
Yes mine too.

Perhaps not the favourite moment of the album, but yes, it is the favourite vocal moment of the album.

My favorite moment of the album is the chorus to Isle Of Avalon, "Mother Fertility Godess, Celebration...etc"

Forostar said:

Actually, this is for me definitely the most emotional moment of the album. Somehow, everytime I hear it, it keeps me wondering how I would feel if a dear friend or family member would die in the future.

The lyrics plus Bruce, they evoke that. Powerful stuff really.

I am not sure about the best moment. I have a few. ;)

Forostar said:
Actually, this is for me definitely the most emotional moment of the album. Somehow, everytime I hear it, it keeps me wondering how I would feel if a dear friend or family member would die in the future.

The lyrics plus Bruce, they evoke that. Powerful stuff really.

I am not sure about the best moment. I have a few. ;)

Have you seen the movie it's loosely based on?  There is a scene where the couple has a flash back to their wedding, and it is VERY emotional, and the song and Bruce's delivery nail this perfectly.

chaosapiant said:
Have you seen the movie it's loosely based on?  There is a scene where the couple has a flash back to their wedding, and it is VERY emotional, and the song and Bruce's delivery nail this perfectly.

I have the graphic novel, but I've never seen the movie adaptation of it, though I hear it's pretty faithful to the original and has a cool soundtrack.

chaosapiant said:
Have you seen the movie it's loosely based on?  There is a scene where the couple has a flash back to their wedding, and it is VERY emotional, and the song and Bruce's delivery nail this perfectly.

No, haven't seen it yet. Not sure if I want to see it soon, though. Must be impressive!

Back