Bruce's voice straining

Two thoughts on the vocals on here-

I see a lot of folks elsewhere complaining about Bruce's straining vocals.  To me, the only place this bugs me is the chorus to Mother of Mercy.  Maybe that melody itself is just weird too, I don't know, but the strain is noticeable there.  But to be fair, he's sounded similar on other post 2000 material as well (chorus of Montsegur, Lord of Light)

I think the choruses would have been much more effective with some background vocals or double tracking.  Why El Dorado has backing vocals live but not on disc is somewhat confusing.

Donner said:
Two thoughts on the vocals on here-

I see a lot of folks elsewhere complaining about Bruce's straining vocals.  To me, the only place this bugs me is the chorus to Mother of Mercy.  Maybe that melody itself is just weird too, I don't know, but the strain is noticeable there.  But to be fair, he's sounded similar on other post 2000 material as well (chorus of Montsegur, Lord of Light)

I think the choruses would have been much more effective with some background vocals or double tracking.  Why El Dorado has backing vocals live but not on disc is somewhat confusing.

I've been wondering that as well.  I think several of the tunes would have benefited from some vocal layering, or even a touch of reverb to help his voice along.

Jed said:
I've been wondering that as well.  I think several of the tunes would have benefited from some vocal layering, or even a touch of reverb to help his voice along.

There actually is a touch of reverb on his voice, and depending on the song it's more noticeable in certain instances.  It's easier to hear with a good pair of headphones, but it's there, his vocals are not completely dry.  I fully agree though that some more reverb and layering would have been nice.

Back