Bruce Dickinson

Live album preparations have reached the next stage. Bruce sneezing (4:32), coughing and has a runny nose. Almost there.

200w.gif

I'm all down for dissecting and reviewing performances, and have done that a bit myself, but I try to not overdo it and set reasonable expectations. Bruce sounds good, and certainly better than he does nowadays with the 80's stuff where he did all those crazy things and had to adapt to Steve's whims and melodies. I have never heard a metal singer his age sound this good. Reading comments almost made believe we're talking Ian Gillan or something. Maiden should detune because of all those 80s songs, but I really don't think he needs to with his solo outfit.

I agree. As professional, you have to work with reality as it is . As far as I know, Bruce has a publicist. Roy Z likely does not.
A publicist would tell you to post some congratulations, just to be done with the rumours.

Roy for sure has no publicist, or a manager or someone in the band who puts a bit of brainpower into how best to communicate with the fans, which is not unusual.
To post a Bruce solo album with the note "Dirty Deeds!", which could be meant as a compliment for the album but some might also interpret it as "Bruce did something bad to me"!
Either Roy is super clumsy or he really doesn't care about rumors.

Roy for sure has no publicist, or a manager or someone in the band who puts a bit of brainpower into how best to communicate with the fans, which is not unusual.
To post a Bruce solo album with the note "Dirty Deeds!", which could be meant as a compliment for the album but some might also interpret it as "Bruce did something bad to me"!
Either Roy is super clumsy or he really doesn't care about rumors.
Where did Roy post that note? Do you have a link?

I think you could name a few singers who are just as good or better, but I still agree. All in all, Bruce sounds good.
At 65? That were exceptional singers to begin with? Bruce has retained more of his old self live than just about every 60+ metal/heavy rock singer with an exceptional performance catalogue I can think of.

Like, Glenn Hughes has retained his top falsetto and head voice, but he's pitchy (and there's a substantial amount of melodyne on his studio vocals), whereas Bruce is not. Bruce is also a loud singer; Glenn Hughes is not, he relies on a compressed head voice without that much amplitude. But he sounds good, I agree, but Bruce is a superior singer to begin with and has longer to fall.

Last edited:
I have never heard a metal singer his age sound this good.
The metal singer whose voice has aged the best in my opinion is Eric Adams from Manowar. He's a few years older than Bruce and can still nail some of the hardest parts of their 80s songs.

At 65? That were exceptional singers to begin with? Bruce has retained more of his old self live than just about every 60+ metal/heavy rock singer with an exceptional performance catalogue I can think of.

Like, Glenn Hughes has retained his top falsetto and head voice, but he's pitchy (and there's a substantial amount of melodyne on his studio vocals), whereas Bruce is not. Bruce is also a loud singer; Glenn Hughes is not, he relies on a compressed head voice without that much amplitude. But he sounds good, I agree, but Bruce is a superior singer to begin with and has longer to fall.
On this I have to disagree quite a bit. There are plenty of singers who've aged better than Bruce in my opinion. The cancer obviously doesn't help and it would be unfair to hold that against him, but listening to Bruce's high range nowadays can be quite difficult.

Back