Bruce Dickinson

It's a shame neither Trumpets of Jericho nor King in Crimson have made the cut. The set is quite heavy on mid-tempo numbers and one of these would give proceedings a real boost.

Bruce has struggled singing faster songs in recent years with Maiden, so I guess the choice of mid-tempo numbers has been deliberate.

For me, this clearly shows that the idea of rotating setlists isn't as brillant and desirable as some fans claim.
Agreed, but I think it works for Bruce, especially after all this time (for Maiden, rather not imo). And if it's more often and with more different songs. If he plays more than a 15 songs set it would be easier. I prefer changing heavily/or not the songs between the legs of a tour instead.
And I think Nightmares will come. Maybe it just didn’t fit for The mandrake project.
I hope so.
Finally a good explanation why Roy ain’t on tour, maybe folks can finally stop wondering about their working relationship. Sure it’s bittersweet for Roy to not be able to tour, but at least he is occupied with songwriting and remixing.

And also, Bruce is wrong about better chart positions than Judas priest latest album. Overall Invinsible shield did better than The mandrake project
Roy, yes. He attended Gus's concert because it was in the US and because they are longtime friends. Imagine him attending Bruce's tour and not playing at least a song with them. I guess that's why he hasn't even posted a comment about the tour/band. He doesn't like long tours.

He just used the example with Priest to illustrate the success of the new album (''those kind of results''), which was probably unexpected for him (after 2005?), but he has a classic back catalog and is the vocalist of Iron Maiden. His biggest success. I doubt Bruce cares about the other stuff, he has done everything that is right and needed now for a promotion. All is normal.
Rotating setlists are great if you are going to see a band multiple nights on the same tour.
This. That's why Bruce does it, according to him.
It's a shame neither Trumpets of Jericho nor King in Crimson have made the cut. The set is quite heavy on mid-tempo numbers and one of these would give proceedings a real boost.
Yeah, Trumpets (very difficult chorus) and Machine Men for me. Navigate should be a set staple imo.

It's difficult to make changes because the set has at least 7 staples (the new songs for now, Tears, Accident and Chemical), but the flow could be improved with:

Soul Intruders/Power Of The Sun (more TOS songs)
The Magician
Road To Hell
Trumpets/Mistress Of Mercy
Back From The Edge/Innerspace/Tattooed Millionaire/Silver Wings

...but what to swap now, apart from 2 songs?
Bruce has struggled singing faster songs in recent years with Maiden, so I guess the choice of mid-tempo numbers has been deliberate.
Rather some high choruses here and there. What is odd is that before the tour Bruce said he doesn't want the set to be too mid-tempo heavy. But there is plenty of time for more changes. *The majority of his solo songs are mid-tempo-ish though.

Last edited:
King in Crimson definitely deserved to get played, but considering the guitar tuning I'm not surprised they skipped out on it. If they also did Trumpets it might make more sense, but that one's definitely out considering the chorus. There's a good reason it used to be the opener instead of King in Crimson.

Road To Hell, yes! I hope it stays longer this time, but I doubt it. And Navigate. What an opening 3 songs!!!
Remove Jerusalem and the cover, replace them with Urizen, Man Of Sorrows/Omega/Queen or any other TOS song and it's a perfect setlist for me, more or less. Shadow and Wounds too. More: Change, Cowboys, Cyclops, Solar, Edge, Born

Bruce in full action:

Road to Hell in the third row is very reasonable, it's probably his most popular fast tempo song (Before MP it was his most popular 3rd song in Spotify behind 2 versions of Tears - as I recall).
Personally and selfishly I would prefer Gods of War over Jerusalem. (I heard it in his Jon Lord tribute concert with symphony all, so I had my climax with that)
As someone said before Navigate should be ironclad solid on this setlist, there are other songs that can be rotated.
I miss Cowboys, the "rap" vocals part may give Bruce some rest and some different colour to the set.
(I love us when we give tactics to Maiden members, try to manipulate them as if they are reading :)) )

Tribuzy confirmed that Bruce's shows in Brazil have been filmed for a new DVD.

Speaking about the songs, the most boring and weakest song on 'The Chemical Wedding' is "Killing Floor".

Thanks for the information!

Some people here would be probably thinking "Not another live album recorded in Latin America!" though. :lol:

"Road To Hell" will do nicely for me!!!! :):)
I was hoping he was going to bring it back...

Just so I'm clear, the song number 3 spot rotates normally between "Laughing In The Hiding Bush" and "Starchildren", is that correct?

I guess we've got another song to add to that spot now!! I love "Road To Hell" as equally as "Starchildren", so either one of them will do nicely for London thank you very much!!!! :):lol:

I have no interest in Instagram or any other form of social media, but I can't help being reminded of the anecdote I think from the History Part 3 programme about one of the band having a camera (possibly Bruce himself) and how they amused themselves on tour by taking pics of various parts of the anatomy. If you did that nowadays you would be arrested and probably cancelled..... would be straight on social media!

I have no interest in Instagram or any other form of social media, but I can't help being reminded of the anecdote I think from the History Part 3 programme about one of the band having a camera (possibly Bruce himself) and how they amused themselves on tour by taking pics of various parts of the anatomy. If you did that nowadays you would be arrested and probably cancelled..... would be straight on social media!
IIRC, I think that was a practical joke played on Ross Halfin, who forgot the camera in band's proximity, which resulted in Nicko and Bruce filling the rest of the film with pictures of genitalia.

There was/is no intention to make those public.

Last edited:
IIRC, I think that was a practical joke played on Ross Halfin, who forgot the camera in band's proximity, which resulted in Nicko and Bruce fillig the rest of the film with pictures of genitalia.

There was/is no intention to make those public.
Shame. Open the damn vaults!

Re rotating set lists, I shall have a small tantrum if they don't do Gods of War in Manchester next weekend. That is all.

Actually, there's more. Anyone going to the Manchester gig feel free to hit me up for pre/post gig pints and whatnot.

Tribuzy confirmed that Bruce's shows in Brazil have been filmed for a new DVD.

Speaking about the songs, the most boring and weakest song on 'The Chemical Wedding' is "Killing Floor".
As much as I love Chemical, I've never liked Killing Floor that much. I think it's always been the chorus that's rubbed me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I love Satan as much as the next guy, but the chorus just sinks the song for me. The music and the verses are good to even great in parts, so it's a shame the song didn't quite hit the level of quality the rest of the album has.

Curious, though, how it was the album's lone single, and yet Bruce has never played it live, even on the Chemical Wedding tour.

EDIT: forget the last bit. It was on Scream for Me Brazil, and that slipped through my sieve-like memory.

Last edited:
The chorus of Killing Floor might not be the best, but the rest of the song rocks. The main riff is awesome, the verses and pre-chorus build up the energy, the solos are fun. The best part is the post-solo section with its quasi-baroque feel. That alone gives so many bonus points to the song for me.

Back