Bruce Dickinson

Perhaps a second single/video will be released on 17th January to accompany the release of the first comic:

Yep. I think I found it: ''Rain On The Graves'' on the sticker!

126502-1d15bea25a3973717a59be9b5cc500af.png

I found the video really distracted from the song itself during the premiere. Too many sound effects, too much general silliness, too much over the top whatever that was. The video felt like a cheap Sci-fi something. I'll never watch it again and I can totally see why Maiden don't bother doing in person videos anymore. TWOTW video this is not.

I also really don't vibe with the concept either but that's totally a me thing. Comics are just not my thing.

The song itself is perfectly fine but now knowing it's the first song on the album it doesn't feel like an opener to me. Sure it's heavy but almost superficially so. I kinda like it but I think I need the entire album to get a real feel what he's doing here. It has gotten better on re-listens and is way better without the distracting video. If I had to give it a score I'd say it's like a solid 7 from me.

I have no real issues with the production once I disabled the Atmos version in Apple Music. It's modern and chunky but not Sneap generic.

I'd love to hear the IESF demo but I'd have to figure out a way to do so.

March 1 isn't that long of a wait. Album cover feels slapped together but I'm sure the point of whatever it represents will be revealed eventually.

It'll probably release next month
of course. how could we have missed this?! Maiden did the same for Stratego on their Senjutsu cover
True. Bruce continues the SJ campaign in a way. Next month for sure. And it will be the last single from the album.

I expect it to be a faster heavier rocker this time. Although given the title, I'm not sure. It should be catchy.

Now I noticed that on photo from the sleeve Bruce is wearing his future past tour costume.
It kind of fits the album title. But we didn't have an actual title track for the first time since 1996. I'm curious about that decision. Bruce should tell us.

Promo photo of Bruce from Maiden's page:

bruce.jpg
The song itself is perfectly fine but now knowing it's the first song on the album it doesn't feel like an opener to me.
We haven't heard the rest of the songs yet, but its intro is perfect for an album opener. His last 3 albums all have fitting openers imo.
Album cover feels slapped together but I'm sure the point of whatever it represents will be revealed eventually.
Yeah. Especially the scene under the mandrake.
The name of this song, "Rain On The Graves", is probably the sequel of "Man Of Sorrows". It will be a power ballad, imho.
I doubt it will be a ballad. The album will most likely have one though - probably song #7, ''Mistress Of Mercy''.

After a night of intense analysis of this song, I can finally admit that I'm not a big fan of it. I'll buy the album for my collection, but 30 euros for an album, that I fear to be sloppy, it's too expensive. I don't like the modern sound, the mix is not very good and as someone has written previously in this thread today, the song is made up of several parts that don't fit together very well, as if they were a very dislocated skeleton.

I wouldn't say that it's a disappointment for me, but since the Iron Maiden camp isn't doing things properly with the sound (the horrible mix and mastering by Tony Newton and Ade Emsley on 'Nights Of The Dead' + the promotional live videos for "Stratego" and "Stranger In A Strange Land") and anniversaries (the poor celebrations of 'The Number Of The Beast' and 'Piece Of Mind'), it is not surprising that Bruce is in this line also in his solo career nowadays...

Same. I also find it 100% generic. I liked Redeemer of Souls back in 2014, but then Firepower sounded exactly like Redeemer, but less inspired and now it looks like Invincible Shield traced the same path. I never understood all the love about Firepower.
Agreed. Firepower did nothing for me. To many songs, nothing inspiring or special. Nothing bad or anything. Just so generic imo. I rember listening to it when it dropped thinking it siunds great but I got no feeling from it, and I never get in the mood to listen to it. And I feel the same way about the new singles for the new record. Maiden to me feels inspiring and fresh, like they want to create music. Priest sounds like a job.

Afterglow Of Ragnarok literally means aftermath of apocalypse. The protagonist (Necropolis?) is being called upon from an alternate dimension/future and is showed his world's fate (I'm basing all this without knowing anything about the comics). Man, Bruce is going full Seventh Son with the concept in this one!

Musicwise, a decent opener. The main riff got a good groove in it, the pre-chorus/chorus is full Senjutsu Maiden, atleast to me. But when the solo was about to begin, I expected something interesting but it ended abruptly... Actually I'm cool that they are putting so much effort in the videos (only the parts with Bruce on them are hilarious).

It is neat, that much most of us can agree on. It's not extraordinary though. There are a few things like the production or the drum sound that keep the song from reaching its true potential. We aren't required to unconditionally adore every single aspect of Bruce and Maiden. There are things that can, and arguably should, be criticized.

Edit:

Damn, I couldn't disagree more. The new Priest album is (in my opinion of course) the perfect example of a fantastic and modern heavy metal production. The bass is strong and audible (though it could be a bit more present). The guitars are hefty and chunky in just the right ways while the leads are buttery smooth. The vocals are always present, while the harmonies and "whoah"s are tastefully mixed, never taking away the focus. The drums are a tiny bit too modern (particularly the snare), but sound generally amazing. The effects like bells are well mixed and don't stick out.

Furthermore, every musician delivered great performances and thought out arrangements. I love Maiden, but the last few albums have been far too "jam session"-y for me. And before someone claims that's the Maiden way: SSOASS-era Maiden would've never allowed some of the takes that landed on recent albums. Maiden used to be perfectionists but they haven't been in decades. I'm not even a big Priest fan, though the last releases have been awesome, but as far as production goes Priest blows Maiden completely out of the water. There's no contest.
Maiden's songwriting with a production on the level of modern Priest would be perfection. As it stands currently we have to compromise unfortunately.
I find Maidens sound fresh, authentic, live and true in a way. Unlike Priest so sounds to me like they just have to make music to get by. I mean Priest sounds good and great, but its not really alive. The music dont feel anything, not for me. Maiden feels alive. And Maiden sounds different. I like it.

I loved the way Senjutsu sounded.

Agreed. Firepower did nothing for me. To many songs, nothing inspiring or special. Nothing bad or anything. Just so generic imo. I rember listening to it when it dropped thinking it siunds great but I got no feeling from it, and I never get in the mood to listen to it. And I feel the same way about the new singles for the new record. Maiden to me feels inspiring and fresh, like they want to create music. Priest sounds like a job.
I really enjoyed 'Angel Of Retribution' that was a very great and more inspired album that 'Redeemer Of Souls' and 'Firepower'. So, I agree with you and Shavasku. The last JP's interesting record was 'Nostradamus'. After that, the band turns a little in circles.

Back