Bruce Dickinson

"Laughing In The Hiding Bush" stays pretty faithful:

Roy played the main solo on "Tears Of The Dragon", but Adrian played some flavor parts before the return to the vocals after the solo:
It was cool that they shared the 1 solo of ''Laughing In The Hiding Bush''. The first part of it fits Adrian's style. Very good solo.

As for ''Tears Of The Dragon'', Adrian is a master of those flavor parts. He also did a great job with ''Tattooed Millionaire'' solo.
Shoot All the Clowns with Adrian in 1997:

There are also some setlists that say that Adrian played the Riding with the Angels with Bruce, a song Samson covered and Bruce played in 1990:
I had somehow forgotten that Adrian played ''Shoot All The Clowns'' live. A song Bruce said was added to the album because of the label. I guess Adrian and Roy shared the solos. There is a lot of room for improvisation with them (with the licks in the outro too). Fun stuff.

I guess Adrian played the solo on Riding With The Angels, if they played it, which would be odd.
Still wondering what slot Bruce is likely to get at Download (assuming he is at Download, that is). A main stage early slot is possible, but that's also a pretty low key slot for someone so well known. I don't think his stage show is going to be big and spectacular enough for anything later afternoon to evening on the main stage.
I don't think every time the band that plays later in the afternoon has a big or spectacular stage. Bruce had said not too long ago that he would like to use the Marshall amps as a stage (like he did in the 90's) - with one backdrop for the whole show, I guess.

Gojira in 2016? Quite possibly the best show of that day!
Exactly what festivals should be like IMO.

I don't think every time the band that plays later in the afternoon has a big or spectacular stage. Bruce had said not too long ago that he would like to use the Marshall amps as a stage (like he did in the 90's) - with one backdrop for the whole show, I guess.

He could, but I just don't see Bruce's solo project 'filling' that stage so to speak, unless you're really into Maiden/Bruce,

He could, but I just don't see Bruce's solo project 'filling' that stage so to speak, unless you're really into Maiden/Bruce,

Are you implying that Bruce himself with his charisma would not be able to fill that stage??

giphy.gif

Bruce needs Maiden to reach his potential, and Maiden needs Bruce to reach their potential.

I wasn't having a go at him at all.

Just that festivals need their headline acts to have a few big hits that everyone knows. You might hate X band but if they have a big hit and it's half 10 at night and you've been drinking all day you're going to sing along. Trumpets of Jericho doesn't fit into this equation even on a smaller stage or in a tent.

I wasn't having a go at him at all.

Just that festivals need their headline acts to have a few big hits that everyone knows. You might hate X band but if they have a big hit and it's half 10 at night and you've been drinking all day you're going to sing along. Trumpets of Jericho doesn't fit into this equation even on a smaller stage or in a tent.
Those 1997/1998/1999/2002 Dickinson setlists was build around Maiden classics. If Adrian Smith is in the fold The Prisoner, 2MTM, Powerslave, The Wicker Man and Flight of Icarus could help generate interest in the 2024 Bruce Dickinson live show. 40% Maiden, 30% Chemical Wedding/Accident of Birth, 20% Mandrake Project and 10% other Bruce solo songs with Adrian in the band should be a fairly high draw! But I suspect 50% Mandrake project, 40% Bruce solo catalog and maybe 10% Maiden with no Adrian!

Those 1997/1998/1999/2002 Dickinson setlists was build around Maiden classics.

That is not true for the 1998/1999 setlists. The standard setlist featured 16 songs and only 3 of them were Maiden classics.

It is also not true for the 2002 setlists either. The standard setlist featured 15 songs and only 3 of them were Maiden classics (4 if you include Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter, but that was played closer to the original Bruce Dickinson version).

The 1997 setlists were heavier on Maiden material though, featuring 5 Maiden classics.

Those 1997/1998/1999/2002 Dickinson setlists was build around Maiden classics. If Adrian Smith is in the fold The Prisoner, 2MTM, Powerslave, The Wicker Man and Flight of Icarus could help generate interest in the 2024 Bruce Dickinson live show. 40% Maiden, 30% Chemical Wedding/Accident of Birth, 20% Mandrake Project and 10% other Bruce solo songs with Adrian in the band should be a fairly high draw! But I suspect 50% Mandrake project, 40% Bruce solo catalog and maybe 10% Maiden with no Adrian!
I actually don’t think setlists matter much when it comes to ticket sales. People buy tickets for the artist without knowing much about the theme of the tour and which songs are getting played.

bruce1.png

Bruce's top 10 songs on Spotify. Tears of the Dragon is getting a lot of plays, but otherwise it's nothing compared to Maiden's top tracks in popularity.
I wonder if the next album can scale things up for him?

Last edited:
Bruce needs Maiden to reach his potential, and Maiden needs Bruce to reach their potential.
This. And most festival fans may not know Bruce's solo songs, but they know the name from Maiden.
But I suspect 50% Mandrake project, 40% Bruce solo catalog and maybe 10% Maiden with no Adrian!
With Adrian or not, I hope for 50% from the new album and 50% from Bruce's past solo albums. That would be the best. Without any Maiden songs, but he could play one or two.
View attachment 31197

Bruce's top 10 songs on Spotify. Tears of the Dragon is getting a lot of plays, but otherwise it's nothing compared to Maiden's top tracks in popularity.
I wonder if the next album can scale things up for him?
He might have a hit single. Or even an album, why not. Navigate The Seas Of The Sun and Change Of Heart are pleasant surprises for me. The rest (without the cover, wow) are expected. I thought Accident Of Birth would be in the Top 10.

I actually don’t think setlists matter much when it comes to ticket sales. People buy tickets for the artist without knowing much about the theme of the tour and which songs are getting played.
More or less, yes. I think he played more Maiden songs because Adrian was part of the band.
Still, it's not of the main Bruce songs from late 90s. Would expect Accident Of Birth or Darkside there.
Road To Hell is for sure one of the main Bruce solos songs. He used to play it in the encores. Also, it's not surprising that the singles with the videos get more attention and plays. Otherwise, Darkside and Book Of Thel (a big song from Bruce's most popular album) have to be in the Top 10.

Back