Bruce Dickinson

Senjutsu and Nights of the Dead were a bad sign in having multiple colour vinyls but that's the first times they've done that, most bands have been selling multiple vinyl versions for years, plus a re-press 6 months later with bonus tracks in more colours.

A mate just bought the Darkness Permission to Land box set 5 lps for €180. They havent started this shit yet either.

I really like the LP as a format, but the prices being charged these days are outrageous!

The 5LP box set for The Darkness Permission to Land 20th Anniversary is being sold for £129.99 at HMV. The 4CD+DVD box set is £59.99!!!

I really like the LP as a format, but the prices being charged these days are outrageous!

The 5LP box set for The Darkness Permission to Land 20th Anniversary is being sold for £129.99 at HMV. The 4CD+DVD box set is £59.99!!!
I know, it's crazy. I bought tons of LPs in the 70s and 80s they were so relatively cheap then. I have no interest in vinyl today, I don't even have anything to play then on anyway :lol:

Yep that ones shocking.

Literally, go on ebay, music magpie etc. at any stage over the last 20 years, and you can pick up that album and it's CD singles for 99p. I'm a fan of the Darkness, but that album was a huge success with mainstream people who promptly dumped it when the novelty wore off and is ridiculously easy to pick up now.

A box set seems to be charged at ridiculous prices no matter whether the content deserves it or not.

Yep that ones shocking.

Literally, go on ebay, music magpie etc. at any stage over the last 20 years, and you can pick up that album and it's CD singles for 99p. I'm a fan of the Darkness, but that album was a huge success with mainstream people who promptly dumped it when the novelty wore off and is ridiculously easy to pick up now.

A box set seems to be charged at ridiculous prices no matter whether the content deserves it or not.

I would argue the 4CD+DVD box set is not too expensive. The price of those plastic LPs these days on the other hand...

My thoughts exactly. The price is outrageous and the quality control is iffy. I got a limited edition REM record shipped from the states for a bargain but there are pops that don’t come out from cleaning. Bloody ridiculous. CDs are so much more reliable.

My thoughts exactly. The price is outrageous and the quality control is iffy. I got a limited edition REM record shipped from the states for a bargain but there are pops that don’t come out from cleaning. Bloody ridiculous. CDs are so much more reliable.
I avoid splatter/multicolor vinyl like the plague for just that reason. They are much more prone to have flawed grooves, where the vinyl protrudes very slightly in a spot. Ruined my Opeth box set.

I would argue the 4CD+DVD box set is not too expensive. The price of those plastic LPs these days on the other hand...

I might pick it up (it's €65 from the local shop here), a mate has the LP version, just waiting to hear if he reckons the live stuff is worth it. It's not a bad price in the grand scheme of things but I think it's about €15 more than it should be, maybe that's inflation these days.

I might pick it up (it's €65 from the local shop here), a mate has the LP version, just waiting to hear if he reckons the live stuff is worth it. It's not a bad price in the grand scheme of things but I think it's about €15 more than it should be, maybe that's inflation price gouging these days.
Fixed it. It has been proved a large chunk is a result of price gouging, as increased profits and revenue often far exceeds increased costs. And thus, the snow ball (overall inflation) keeps rolling, amassing even more snow and getting bigger and bigger.

Eggs in the US is a prime example.

Fixed it. It has been proved a large chunk is a result of price gouging, as increased profits and revenue often far exceeds increased costs. And thus, the snow ball (overall inflation) keeps rolling, amassing even more snow and getting bigger and bigger.

Eggs in the US The Senjutsu deluxe box set is a prime example.

Fixed it for you. :p

I avoid splatter/multicolor vinyl like the plague for just that reason. They are much more prone to have flawed grooves, where the vinyl protrudes very slightly in a spot. Ruined my Opeth box set.
I should have learnt my lesson from the AOB 25th splatter vinyl. That thing is hissy as hell. Looks cool though!

Speaking of Accident of Birth, I don’t like listening to it on vinyl because of the track reordering. It’s doesn’t work having Road to Hell as the penultimate song.

The vinyl sequencing on Accident of Birth is a disaster.

Frankly, the whole album is a bit of a hodgepodge after Darkside of Aquarius. No real flow, doesn’t help that there are a billion variations of the track order.

The vinyl sequencing on Accident of Birth is a disaster.

Frankly, the whole album is a bit of a hodgepodge after Darkside of Aquarius. No real flow, doesn’t help that there are a billion variations of the track order.
I thought there were only two track listings… are there many more than that?

The very short interview can be watched here:

Comics and beer for fans in the Brooklyn area interested in those things:

The new Classic Rock interview:
When I got back with Roy Z, we wrote [the album’s first single] Afterglow Of Ragnarok, I thought: I like the title, I like the chorus, it’s all good, but it’s got fuck all to do with the comic. But then I thought, it doesn’t matter, and the album is not a concept album, because that limits you, and you end up shoehorning in things to fit the concept.

At the end, you realise the Mandrake Project has conquered death, which raises all sorts of philosophical questions. At the heart of the comic is the question: is the universe scientific, or poetic?

I chuck everything in Steve’s direction. That’s how it works. Then he turns around and says: “Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, no…” These days we tend to write more in the studio, though, so I come up with stuff specifically for Maiden. Me and Adrian write a lot together. Steve might take a couple of ideas from Janick and then he’ll disappear into his little hole in the ground for two to three weeks. Then he’ll suddenly emerge and go: I think I’ve got one. That was how we did Senjutsu, which is a cracking Maiden album.

Yeah, they were. But I also great take pride in being able to voice Steve’s riffs. There’s not many people that can do it. I could never figure out why he wrote such bloody difficult words, though. Then we were chatting one day and it came out – the words follow the bass and drums. I tried to explain to him early on:“Look, Steve, I’m going to lose my front teeth trying to sing this.” But Steve has compromised over the years. I never thought I’d be able to sing Alexander The Great when I first heard it, but that worked out fine.

I wouldn’t have changed that [leaving Maiden in 1993], but I would have done it better. I would have had more of a plan. I realised Iron Maiden were doing its thing and there was nothing anybody could do to change its trajectory. At the time, I was sitting there making what ended up being Balls To Picasso, and I realised that I didn’t have much clue what to do outside of Iron Maiden.

About Tattooed Millionaire: It was a bunch of rock’n’roll clichés done quite well. People liked it – which I respect – but if I wanted to do something that was going to be the start of a solo career I wouldn’t have done Tattooed Millionaire.

Skunkworks was a cracking album, but they weren’t really a focused rock band. I heard the demos they were coming up with, and said: “It’s not really my thing, is it. But that band got me out of my comfort zone, and I learned a lot about singing, too.

Accident Of Birth was a lot of fun to make and it turned everything around for me. The Chemical Wedding was the big one, artistically. That’s when I realised if Iam going to do anything, I need to go deep – deep into the emotion and deep into the heart of it.

I want to come back, Steve, because, in the words of my mates, ‘the world needs Iron Maiden’, and secondly I think we can make amazing music. What I said was: “We will sweep away the past by doing an amazing future.” I also told them that we are not to just do ‘greatest hits’ albums, we are going to do a new album and it will be fucking great. And it was. Brave New World really delivered. So suddenly we’re off to the races again.

Really, I’ve been doing the same thing all along – telling stories. If I’m singing, Iam telling a story. If Iam doing a comic, it’s storytelling. I finally realised this is what I do. I love the musical part of it, but I’ve got to have a story before I’m there.

This is also worth noting -> Dickinson’s forthcoming tour will also see him play highlights from his solo records to audiences as far afield as South America (“These people have been waiting years to see this stuff live”). Then there’s a new Iron Maiden album to be made, after his trip to Australia to, hopefully, improve his digeridoo playing.!!!!!! :)

The promo photos (with The Future Past costume, maybe part of the booklet or of the new video?) are giving me BTP vibe:

Attachments

• bruce.jpg
    bruce.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 24
  • bruce (2).jpg
    bruce (2).jpg
    733.8 KB · Views: 24
Back