Bruce Dickinson. Singer, pilot, speaker, and now........

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
A novel author as well? This just showed up on a Facebook Maiden collector's site. I never knew he wrote a novel!
unTMqBf.jpg

That's from the late 80's I think. Maybe early 90's. Might've been a sequel too; I hear they're both pretty bad.

It looks like it would atrocious: 300 pages of Dive! Dive! Dive!

He did indeed write two books, the other is "The Missionary Position". I know someone who has them, and yes... it is somewhat along those lines Mckindog. Wiki does mention the books so it's hard to not know if you've done even the slightest bit of research into Bruce, Iffy Boatrace is described as
a satirical swipe at fetishism among the upper classes, whose title character is a "semi-transvestite" British land owner.
it's pretty vulgar.

If you have seen his film 'Chemical Wedding', it's somewhat along the same level of cheese. I have the film, knowing nothing about it but just seeing it listed as pre-order once and thought "Oooooh, Bruce made a film!?!".... needless to say I haven't even watched it all the way through. Bruce really does have a disturbing mind.

Based on the Amazon reviews (from people who claim to have read them) the British all seem to think they are very funny while the Americans don't seem to get them at all. If I came across a cheap second-hand copy I'd definitely pick it up just out of idle curiosity but I'm not putting any particular effort into tracking them down - if it was something he'd written recently I'd definitely want to read it, what he thought was a good idea in 1987 however ...

It is a book with absurd humour. I remember a scene of a woman who desperately wanted to be fucked anally by a dude with a 15 inch long dick. For the ones who want to find out themselves how this goes, I'll put it in spoilers.
He didn't want to but she kept pushing him to do it. When he gave "in" with the remaining 9 inches (after going on for a while with the first 6), she loved it to death, literally (she died of it).

It is a book with absurd humour. I remember a scene of a woman who desperately wanted to be fucked anally by a dude with a 15 inch long dick. For the ones who want to find out themselves how this goes, I'll put it in spoilers.
He didn't want to but she kept pushing him to do it. When he gave "in" with the remaining 9 inches (after going on for a while with the first 6), she loved it to death, literally (she died of it).
I rest my case.

I remember it was being sold at the InterCity Express tour dates. I remember it as being basically sub-Tom Sharpe stuff, if it wasn't Bruce Dickinson that wrote it it probably wouldn't have been published. There was a sequel but I didn't bother with it.

Sounds interesting. I'd give it a shot. It's probably poorly-written seeing the plot of Chemical Wedding, but still.

For anyone truly interested in pursuing this, here is a synopsis of the first book by the author:

"It's a sick comedy. The main character is called Lord Iffy Boatrace, he's a transvestite from the knee down. The story deals with an infernal mechanical penis called Pelvitron that has been built by his psychologically twisted butler who's a runaway undertaker from Wormwood Scrubs. And in the midst of this comes the Spanish Armada and the history of the Hispanic-Scottish village and the pub called the Bonny Hacienda! Reading it, it's completely lunatic, so I think I've probably got it all out of me. If ever you go through a period like that, whatever it is going on in your brain-box, something good usually comes out of it in the end, as long as you come through it with most of your marbles still intact."

Culled from an interview found on the IMC, full interview can be found here. Steve said publish and be damned, or something similar, because he was fed up of people asking about it.

Bruce was obviously completely out of his mind at that point. Sounds like a book that's best to be forgotten.

Back