Are Maiden Tattoed Millionaires?

Tattoed millionaires? maybe, maybe not. The reason for the high ticketprices is due to the fact that there are many people involved in touring: drivers, security, crew, soundmen, techs and others. All these people are employed by companies and these are owned by share holders. The share holdes demand return from their investments. The bill of course is sendt to us, the fans.

The only source of income (I think) directly to the lads in Iron Maiden is thru merchandice. The rest of what you pay to see a Maiden gig is mosly eaten away by other people. Off course they make money off touring, but not as much as merchandice.

Should Iron Maiden be cheaper? Yes, they have more than enought money as it is. This do not mean that they should be touring for free either. But selling licensen to bloody H&M (the cloth chain) is complety selling out! yes, you heard me! by doing so, the have sold out in my opionion. Buying "vintage" Killers t- shirts on H&M is about as lame as it gets.

I think its perfectly fine that the memebers of the bands gets insanly rich, they deserve evry penny. But should the fans pay for a whole lot of others leaches to become rich? no never! That goes to Mr. Smallwood as well. I do not see him credited for any writing on the albums.

prn said:
The only source of income (I think) directly to the lads in Iron Maiden is thru merchandice. The rest of what you pay to see a Maiden gig is mosly eaten away by other people. Off course they make money off touring, but not as much as merchandice.

What makes you think that? :huh: Logic dictates that merchandise is actually the part of the whole franchise that makes the least money for the band members.
You should read my previous post. I didn't make it up.

Should Iron Maiden be cheaper? Yes, they have more than enought money as it is. This do not mean that they should be touring for free either. But selling licensen to bloody H&M (the cloth chain) is complety selling out! yes, you heard me! by doing so, the have sold out in my opionion. Buying "vintage" Killers t- shirts on H&M is about as lame as it gets.

Right, and you had an Eddie imitate coming into your house, holding a gun at your head forcing you to buy the shirts at H&M?
You said twice that they sould out by giving the license to H&M. But you didn't give a reason. Please give it now.

I think its perfectly fine that the memebers of the bands gets insanly rich, they deserve evry penny. But should the fans pay for a whole lot of others leaches to become rich? no never! That goes to Mr. Smallwood as well. I do not see him credited for any writing on the albums.

Right, only that without Mr Smallwood, there wouldn't be any albums. He's not just sitting on his arse and getting rich, you know.

Not from personal experience, but from sources within the music industry tells me that merchandise is the most lucrative part of making music. Especialy for bands with a strong visual presentation: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer and numours death and black metal bands. I've been told that for most bands touring is mostly at a finachial loss, but merchandise is generating the little income they get.

Regarding "selling out". The  members of the band are probably gazillionares by all accounts, so do they need the extra money from licenses with clothing stores like H&M? I absolutely no problems with buissnes savy people make money (and tons of it), but to see the name "Iron Maiden" be exploted in this way, is in my opinion affecting their image and integrety. A band like KISS have played this card one to many times I think. With merchandise ranging from candy to coffins.

By mentioning Mr. Smallwood here was just an example on individuals making money on Iron Maiden. Could be an bad example.

prn said:
Not from personal experience, but from sources within the music industry tells me that merchandise is the most lucrative part of making music. Especialy for bands with a strong visual presentation: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer and numours death and black metal bands. I've been told that for most bands touring is mostly at a finachial loss, but merchandise is generating the little income they get.

That's a speculation. Speculations are the worst possible foundation of a discussion.

Regarding "selling out". The  members of the band are probably gazillionares by all accounts, so do they need the extra money from licenses with clothing stores like H&M? I absolutely no problems with buissnes savy people make money (and tons of it), but to see the name "Iron Maiden" be exploted in this way, is in my opinion affecting their image and integrety. A band like KISS have played this card one to many times I think. With merchandise ranging from candy to coffins.

No, the band members of Maiden probably don't need that money. But I doubt it's them making the decision.

prn said:
Regarding "selling out". The  members of the band are probably gazillionares by all accounts, so do they need the extra money from licenses with clothing stores like H&M? I absolutely no problems with buissnes savy people make money (and tons of it), but to see the name "Iron Maiden" be exploted in this way, is in my opinion affecting their image and integrety.
My, you've ruffled a few feathers today. ;)
The above mentioned agreement with H&M would be a management decision rather than a band decision and the band would have little say in it.

By mentioning Mr. Smallwood here was just an example on individuals making money on Iron Maiden. Could be an bad example.
Quite possibly the man behind the H&M agreement. But even so, would Maiden be any better without him - I doubt it.

"speculations" you say. No, that is first hand fact from people directly invoved with artists touring on continental Europe. Off course its pure speculations on my part regarding Iron Maiden and mechandise.

Albie: "shuffled a few feather". That was my intention. I saw another thread something about "real dead forum" and decided to do something about it. All in good faith off course :)

prn said:
Albie: "shuffled a few feather". That was my intention. I saw another thread something about "real dead forum" and decided to do something about it. All in good faith off course :)
There is nothing wrong with healthy discussion, no matter how heated it may get. Just as long as you can stand by the convictions of your argument - and not result to speculation. ;)

Perun said:
What makes you think that? :huh: Logic dictates that merchandise is actually the part of the whole franchise that makes the least money for the band members.
You should read my previous post. I didn't make it up.

Well, for a metal band, as it is a very visual form of music, merchandise would be more of a money-maker than in, say, rap music.  But I still don't think it would eclipse the sales of tickets and albums; while most of the money earned during the tour goes into support costs for venues, transport, wages, damages :)rolleyes:) and other things, the albums are what makes the band the most money, even if they only get 1/17th of the money a consumer pays on it.  I'm no economist, but I would make an educated guess that the album sales are the biggest source of profit for the band; perhaps touring makes a bigger income, but the expenditures from a big tour would reduce the profit Maiden get at the end of the day.  And, well, Maiden aren't economists either-that's why they have a manager to ease the administrative processes.  He can represent the bands' wishes with regards to pricing, but at the end of the day I think Maiden can only put so much pressure on the ticket operators with respect to costs; it isn't their venue, after all.

prn said:
Kiss haven't played that card too many times. They've ALWAYS played it. Hell they ADMIT that they were never about the music, they were always about the image, the stage show and of course the money (Merchandising from candy to condoms to... coffins.)

Well i dont remember Nicko charging for his autograph after his set with Phil Hilbourne at the London guitar show and he seemed happy as being billed as one of the nameless friends hardly the actions of a money grabbing millionaire. I do remember him greeting everybody signing everything and anything put infront of him telling jokes meeting everybody and chatting about the album he had finished recording the night before. Oh and I believe he jumped into a people carrier after the show not a stretch Limo not quiet the actions of a money grabbing proma donna Rock Star lol lol lol get your facts right!!!!

Back