Aircraft

F-22 has uni-axis thrust vectoring. Although technically the Russians were first to roll out TV equipped Flanker prototypes, due to financial difficulties after USSR breakup, none were fielded. Thus F-22 was the first serial TV equipped aircraft to enter service. Today, Indian Air Force fields Sukhoi Su-30MKI (also uni-axis TV), and Russian Air Force fields Su-30SM (uni-axis TV) and Su-35S (twin-axis TV).

Better air frame? Depends for what. Raptor's got air frame with least radar signature. The ATF program which selected F-22 was used to develop direct competition to Soviet 4th gen Sukhois which had the most advanced airframe at the time. So Americans made something that can beat Flankers with high success rate. Russians, with all their problems, managed to roll out heavily upgraded Flankers which close the technological gap somewhat. None the less they were fielded in small batches years after F-22 was put to service in good numbers (100+). Su-35S is the last Flanker (fighter/interceptor wise), most modern tech in Russian Air Force currently. It's capabilities in some categories put it on par with F-22. However the true answer to F-22 is Sukhoi T-50 (PAK-FA) which is in evaluation currently and should be put into service in next year or two.

Keep in mind that performance of all three mentioned aircraft is classified. Including the 'airframe' which cannot be measured by itself because you have wing loading at typical mission package, and engines which are imperial to the whole performance thing...
And I forgot what was the point of my post? :) When were we talking about F-22? lol

^ yup I saw it already with F-18. Eagle is even more impressive.

Amazing footage, isn't it? I've seen a few videos and photos shot there before. I'd like to go there myself but that would be one step too geeky and besides, I'm too lazy.

I've still never got a close look at a Typhoon.

For anyone taking an interest in the new Ed Force One: former Air France 747-428, registration TF-AAK, owned by Air Atlanta Icelandic, was brought out of storage in France in late December, and flown to the UAE. It looks like this could be the plane. A couple of online retailers are advertising a diecast model of TF-AAK as Ed Force One for release in February/March.

Recently HMS Gannet (Royal Navy helicopter base near Prestwick) gave up doing civilian search & rescue with their helicopters in Scotland.
[ > Farewell flypast by HMS Gannet's helicopter heroes ]

I didn't know this though. A couple of weeks ago I look out my window & I see three massive Sea King helicopters flying incredibly low into the bay in front of Oban. I wondered what they were doing; thought it might have been an exercise to do with the Oban hospital (where they are sometimes required to land). But three, flying side-by-side? This was unusual. But they continued flying over the bay & came in over the town below the height of my house (which is up on the hill behind Oban town) & banked up over our flats. My neighbour (who evidently knew about the fly-by; they had given times for each place) was out with his phone taking photos, maybe filming it. Anyway, they evidently turned about in the hills behind us & came back around. The second time around one of the Sea Kings peeled off from the other two & banked around our flats, side door fully open, the harnessed crew waving at my neighbour --having evidently seen him waving at them the first time they came over. Stunningly close; I couldn't believe how close they banked over us. I could see the detail on the guys uniform they were that close. Spectacular.

There's some nice photos out there, but I haven't been able to find any that back up my story!

Wallace-Monument.jpg

Last edited:
There are three versions of camo on these test articles. Who knows what will be the one in service.

It took ages, but today, for the first time, an F-35 (Joint Strike Fighter) will land in the Netherlands. Tonight, in fact, two will land. Here a few bits of trivia (taken from a Dutch article):

The JSF will replace the F-16, which is into Dutch service since 1979. JSF: Stealth, better sensors, better warning system.
Advantages F-16: it's faster (speed: 2000 km/hour) and has bigger ranger (2700 km with one tank)

864x486.jpg

Several other jet fighters since WWII:
- 1948: British Gloster Meteor
- mid 1950's: British Hawker Hunter
- mid 1950's: American F-86's
- 1960's: F-104 Starfighter

The two JSF's will only stay temporary but the aim is to have around 10 on Dutch soil from 2019 and onwards. Eventually the amount will be increased to 37.

Last edited:
I didn't know the Netherlands had bought them. The UK is supposed to getting about 130 although there's been some criticism of the cost, what with the extensive austerity cuts to public services.

Yes, the Dutch were involved since a long while.
I didn't know the Netherlands had bought them. The UK is supposed to getting about 130 although there's been some criticism of the cost, what with the extensive austerity cuts to public services.
Here as well. Not just "some". The whole project delayed and delayed. And got more and more expensive. But it went on, probably because it was good for the Netherlands economically. 2200 jobs for development. Maintenance: 3500 jobs. For an important part, the maintenance will be done in the Netherlands, also for other European countries.

Back