Adrian Smith

Bought the Primal Rock Rebellion album today. Call me crazy, but I didn't take the time to listen to it yet. Tomorrow in my car!
Crazy!! :) Alright, you're off the hook . . . for now! Through various friends and sources, I have heard the album in its entirety. I'll await your review before I start spilling "ink" all over this forum. Hint: I was smiling at the end of the first listen. Cheers!

Hi there! Just thought I'd mention that Andy Makin has a new band called Black Light Machine - you can check them out on https://www.facebook.com/BlackLightMachine?sk=info or http://www.myspace.com/578180444 The band are brand new - booking gigs, radio interviews etc are only just beginning. An e.p. will be available to download or hardcopy as soon as possible. Hope no-one takes offence at a little bit of self promotion there! Thanks for your time!
No offense from me- Andy was a great singer and I really enjoy WttW. Glad to hear he's still making music. Maybe he'll do a song as a guest on a future Adrian Smith side project? Now, that would ROCK!!

Andy (if "lungbuster" is Andy)- best of luck to you and your band! I will check out the link you provided and give it a listen. It's harder than hell to get good music here in the U.S., but I'll try. I'll promote it among my Adrian/Maiden fan friends.

Cheers,
Chris

Listening to Primal Rock Rebellion debut and now I'm on Bright As A Fire! I'd say it sounds really great so far!!! I want the lyrics!!!

Great to know that Andy Makin is with a brand new band! His job on Welcome To The World is stellar! His vocal lines on Rain, Believe and Underground are some of the most catchy stuff I heard!!! Love that album and sure looking forward to listen to his new band!

Cheers!!! \m/

Just editing to say Tortured Tone is the best so far! Wonderful song with an 80's pop vibe, a la Duran Duran, INXS! Amazing song and chorus! Mikee Goodman is one of a kind and I really like his unique range of tones and expressions!

Awoken Broken is amazing! I'm just blown away with the production, the heaviness, the subtle layers that keep giving back each time you listen, and the brilliant interplay between Adrian and Mikee. Not to be overlooked, Dan Foord's drumming is damn good. I'm eagerly awaiting Forostar's review (even though I just betrayed my own thoughts on AB).

Alrighty, I just posted the link given to us from lungbuster to the Primal Rock Rebellion Facebook page. The song is SMOKIN'!!! As always, the vocals by Andy are primo!! Lungbuster- when's the release date? Great stuff, keep it comin'!

There's a track called Scientist as bonus on iTunes and it was really worth installing it just to buy the song. This album is amazing!!! \m/

I'll wait for a few months, if it doesn't appear anywhere on the internet, I'll just order the japanese version.

Sorry Chris, I haven't come round to do a review. I'll try to do this before next week ends.
Short thoughts: I really like it but I am not totally over the moon by it.

And you?

I'm really sold on it. I'd say there are 3 tracks that I'm not 100% fond of (I See Lights, Savage World, and Snake Ladders). Probably because those are songs where Mikee gets a bit more leash and goes into a bit weirder territory. That said, I think the songs are all well-crafted, the production is tight, Adrian's playing is top-notch and experimental, his backing vocals (as well as Tarin Kerry's) are perfect, and there's a nice mix of brutal and beautiful (the title track and Mirror and the Moon, for example). The more I listen, the more I hear- layers upon layers. For me, there are some amazing moments, but in typical Smith fashion, they're not always blatantly obvious but are stylishly done. Case in point- the instrumental section at the end of the very heavy and aggressive No Friendly Neighbor-3 sections, two stanzas each, and each builds on the previous. It's a wonderful composition, especially when Abi's viola is deftly added in, and probably the type of outro that Harris has been trying to write for years now. The 7-8 really solid tracks all carry the Smith Seal of Quality, even if he doesn't launch into a minute-long solo and go all widdly-widdly. By his own admission, it's experimental and his playing is atypical in spots. That's a good thing, IMO, because it shows he can still branch out and give us something new and unexpected. The album is reflective of the different musical poles that the creators represent- classic metal and avante garde, chaotic. I think they do a remarkable job of blending both styles and finding common ground. It goes beyond a typical "side project" for an established artist and also reins in Mikee's wild impulses to present his style in a more traditional way, but still pushes boundaries. There are the soft, subtle moments, but what has me "over the moon" (if I can borrow your phrase), is the heaviness throughout (almost). It's much heavier and aggressive than I would have thought Adrian was capable of, and I love it! Finally, the way the songs are arranged on the album shows that thought and care went into that aspect, as well as the cracking production. Leading off with a blistering track like No Friendly Neighbor was perfect, and the album rises, falls, rises again- teasing the listener with a crescendo, but then ending with something that is both fragile and powerful at the same time (Mirror and the Moon). Clearly, they were able to compose some heavy songs and could have ended with an iron (no pun intended, sorta) hand, but instead went for the deeper cut. So, yeah, I really enjoy Awoken Broken. There will be those that do NOT like Mikee's vocals or Adrian's experimental, non-shredder approach, but further and deeper listens mean this will be an album that stays relevant for a long time, not like a quickly written, recorded, and produced affair that is half-baked. 9/10.

Thanks man! Enjoyed reading that. Because I can't spend too much time in a row on this I'll do a song by song review.

1. No Friendly Neighbour
Very energetic and powerful opening track which lends itself to some (not too fast) headbanging. Very strong riffing, and cool timing by Mikee. I love the breakdown in the middle, where you can feel the tension rising again before it continues with Adrian's solo. The drums groove along excellent in the whole track. Nice fade out at the end and I like it that we can hear the bass pretty well (not too many moments on the whole album).

2. No Place Like Home
Most aggressive and heaviest song and interestingly enough: perhaps the most catchy one as well. The couplets are very wound up but the slower chorus is very melodic and in the second Adrian joins with a nice layer of backing vocals. The solo is one of the most classic sounding ones on the album. This part (not per se the solo itself but the section) reminds me of Road to Hell. It was a good decision to keep the song short. If much longer it would be too over the top.

3. I See Lights
Now this song is like a tank rolling over its enemies. Not fast, but deadly, going in a constant pace with utmost security. The riffs are very heavy and the bass playing is doing some cool short intervals. I am less over the moon by the constant wrah, wrah, wrah, wrah (or whatever he's saying there) backing vocals by Mikee. Also I don't really like the first half of Adrian's solo, and the Korn kind of riffs underneath. But there's more, I really like the second half of his solo and Adrian's vocal contributions are even better. Epic lyrics!

The streets are roamed by marching feet and fools
They leave their mark upon this furrowed brow
And there's no silence like a roaring crowd
They pave their way to what they see

First I thought this would be one of the worst tracks, but it's a grower.

F'ing brilliant, Forostar! Thanks for the addition of the lyrics for I See Lights- I don't have the booklet yet and I feel deprived. Agreed on ISL- it was an odd choice for the first track to be released, IMO, because it's hard to warm up to. Not the strongest on the album, I think, but perhaps it was a compromise- Mikee has his fans, too, and it sort of meets in the middle between what one would expect from a member of Sikth and a member of Iron Maiden. I was going to crown No Friendly Neighbor or the title track as the heaviest on the album, but I do see where NPLH could be put up as well. The solo on NPLH, like you said, is classic. It gets right at the core of why Adrian Smith is considered a legend and the multitudes of shredders are not- note choice, tone, and phrasing. I've heard that solo about 60 times already and it still gives me chills. Throughout, I was impressed with Adrian's reserve w/ regards to turning this into a widdly-widdly orgy. He plays lots of snappy solos and flashes, but always keeps it within the song.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your review- keep `em comin'!! :)

Cheers,
Chris

Back