Adrian Smith

I don't have the album yet but that song convinced me to look for it.

I think it's cool something like that got airplay!

Been listening to Adrian's stuff other than Maiden and Dickinson solo for a week, both A.S.A.P. and Psycho Motel kick serious ass.

I really like the Psycho Motel albums, especially the first one.  Too bad Adrian did not sing at least a song or two on them.

Thanks, Forostar! That was the 2nd time I met Adrian, actually. The first time was in 1992, standing outside a small club in Bradford, England. I happened to be in England on my honeymoon (also with a group of friends; a non-standard honeymoon, to be sure!) when I read in Kerrang! that The Untouchables were going to be playing some dates the week we were there. So, we rented a car and driver (we had no clue where to go) and made the long trek from the Docklands of London up to Bradford. Got there just in time, stood in line, and about 10 minutes later, here comes Adrian and the band. I was starstruck, to say the least. The best I could do was say "Hey Adrian, when are you coming to Indianapolis?" Carl Dufresne, his brother-in-law and rhythm guitarist said "When you buy the tickets, dude!" :) Adrian just sorta laughed, shook my hand, and moved on down the line. The gig was AWESOME! That's the Untouchables shirt I'm wearing in the picture. They played "Hooks in You," "Back in the Village," "Wasted Years," as well as the Untouchables songs that have shown up online.

After the show, back in the car for the drive back. Jack, our elderly driver asked- "Who did you folks come all this way to see?" "Some guy from Iron Maiden, Adrian Smith," I replied. He says (no lie): "Oh, Adrian? I know him. I used to drive the boys from Maiden around. He lives up in Harlow." I. Was. Floored. Shoulda mentioned it earlier, eh? Anyway, Adrian (in Chicago) let me jabber his ears off for about 3 hours. I forget what we talked about, just that it was brilliant! This was after the show he played with Bruce at the House of Blues. Side note- I took my Untouchables shirt with me to the Iron Maiden concert in Detroit in 2010, held it up between songs, and Adrian saw it, laughed, and pointed in my direction! Another Maiden/Adrian memory, this time shared with my sons (Adrian David and Alexander)!

Awesome. Wish I could talk to him for a moment. I'd probably ask a few Maiden trivia which would bore the hell out of him. ;)

Ha! Perhaps. At the time, there wasn't an hint that he would rejoin Maiden, so I purposely didn't ask him anything about his time in the band, his departure, etc. Kept it strictly Psycho Motel and his work with Bruce.

In the week+ wait (longer for fans outside Europe) until Awoken Broken is released, I think a good time-killing exercise is needed. So, how about this: using Bruce's "Best Of" as a template, what would a 2-CD (plus a bonus DVD?) Retrospective of the 30+ year career of Adrian Smith look like? Going all the way back to his days in Urchin (with material now out on CD via High Roller Records) up to his current project, Primal Rock Rebellion, what songs would you select and why? This could include guest appearances, pre-Maiden, Maiden, post-Maiden, etc. material, and even (perhaps) some unreleased gems (like his Untouchables songs, please?). Since this is a hypothetical exercise, what kind of packaging or extras would you include? What about the booklet- what would you like to see or read?

Audio CDs (2):
Urchin - “My Lady,” “Animals,” and “Get Up and Get Out”
Iron Maiden (1980-1990) - “Innocent Exile” (from Maiden Japan), “22 Acacia Ave,” “Flight of Icarus,” “Back in the Village,” “Wasted Years,” “Reach Out,” and “Evil That Men Do”
ASaP - “Silver and Gold” and “After The Storm”
Michael Kiske (from Instant Clarity) - “New Horizons”
Untouchables -“City of Dreams”
Psycho Motel - “Rage” “Welcome to the World”
with Bruce - “Road To Hell,” “Machine Men,” “Killing Floor” (from Scream for Me, Brazil)
Iron Maiden (1999-present) - “Wicker Man,” “Paschendaele,” “Different Worlds,” “Starblind,”
Bucket & Co. (Guitars, Beers, & Tears) - “Make Up Your Mind”
Primal Rock Rebellion (Awoken Broken) - “No Place Like Home,” “Bright As A Fire,” and “Awoken Broken”

DVD extras:
-Urchin live at Brecknock
-Untouchables live
-Psycho Motel videos
-Live with Maiden `92 (“Running Free”)
-Live with Bruce
-Interview with Adrian on varied career, not just Iron Maiden
-Guitars, amps, gear video

Cheers,
Chris

Really cool idea. The problem is that many of us are not aware of his Untouchables and Urchin era (I still haven't bought the Urchin CD yet).

After the Storm is a great pick and I also like it that you listed a song from the first Psycho Motel album. From what I noticed, most people prefer the second, but I am not sure if I would agree. The first was a damn fine album with hardly any (or no) weaker songs.
Bucket & Co. (Guitars, Beers, & Tears) - “Make Up Your Mind”
Haven't heard this either.
-Psycho Motel videos
Eh, I was only aware of one video. :S

Ah, then my goal is to educate the forum members on his unknown material! Out of chronological order, but here's a link to a song from The Untouchables:

And here's a song from Urchin:

I'm not sure who the female singer is on "After The Storm," but she adds something extra to an already good song:

What I like about the ASaP stuff is that he wrote from the heart- the songs and lyrics mean something. "You Could Be A King," "Silver And Gold," and "Blood On The Ocean" all had a message that sought to make the world a better place; whereas some of Bruce's work on Tattooed Millionaire was crotch rock ("Zulu Lulu," "Dive, Dive, Dive"). That said, I loved "Son of a Gun" and "Born in `58."

Like you, I prefer the first Psycho Motel album. Despite the inferior singer, the songs were more immediate, to the point, as were Adrian's solos. He put together some great solos on State of Mind, but I felt he pushed that aspect to the background on WttW; probably to emphasize the "band" and whole concept, rather than his own glory. That's commendable, if that was the case, but the slightly ethereal, hippy tones and soft solos were a detriment to that album, IMO. Andy Makin was a good singer, but people were going to buy the CD for Adrian and his guitar. Now, having heard a good deal of the forthcoming Awoken Broken, I'm happier than a pig in shit that the guitar is splashed all over the place, it's heavy as hell, the solos are wonderful, and yet there's still the classic Smith sense of melody. Oh, and you're probably right about there only being 1 video from Psycho Motel, though I seem to recall a conversation with someone close to Adrian that indicated there was another video with Andy in it. Oh well.

As for you having not heard "Make Up Your Mind," here you go:

That's Adrian on vocals and lead/rhythm guitar. The lyrics seem to speak to his frustration with recording with Maiden (the way things get "Steve-ized" by Steve and Shirley, see the Mission Debrief from TFF). This song is the only one where a guest lead guitarist gets to play; an honor for Adrian from his friend Dave "Bucket" Colwell. Adrian gets to sing (but not play) on another song on that album- a new version of "Reach Out," with Lauren Harris on backing vocals. That whole album is solid, IMO. You should see if you can find it; I think you'd like it.

Thanks for the feedback, Forostar!
Cheers,
Chris

Cheers man, your contribution is much appreciated. I do confess I know a few songs from the Untouchables and Urchin eras but I haven't heard all yet (don't have albums), so it's hard to make a good "overall" compilation.

The second Psycho Motel album had a bit more of an Alice in Chains feel, also due to the singer.
Just heard Make up your Mind (heard Reach Out already).. interesting take on the lyrics. I really felt sorry for what happened to Adrian during the mixing/production stage of that album. One'd say that such a main contributor to the songwriting (he did more than Steve) would have a bit more say in the final product.

The A.S.a.P record has some really strong melodies, and great solos by all guitarists involved . I also like the drumming by Zak Starkey (as you know, the son of Ringo Starr).

edit: That song "Animals". Wow, just wow. I need this.

Thanks, Forostar- very kind of you. I *thought* I was going to get the 2nd Urchin CD in the mail today, but alas, that did not come to pass. They might be a bit expensive (if you happen to live in the U.S.), but they're a great addition to the collection. Keeping in mind the technological and environmental constraints under which the songs were recorded (live, one-take, in a rehearsal hall, with sketchy equipment, tapes in storage for 30+ years), the songs are damn good. Adrian's playing is also different- more Thin Lizzy (Scott Gorham) influence than I expected, more use of the neck pickup, and some unexpectedly deft licks (he played 2nd fiddle to Dave when he first joined Maiden).

Silver and Gold was like my "Holy Grail" back in 1990. I knew it was out and after hearing lots of positive chatter about The Entire Population of Hackney mini-project, I was rabidly trying to get it. It took months before I could get it, but oh man, it was great! I was in heaven- an Adrian Smith side project (he's obviously my favorite member of Iron Maiden) with him on vocals! Agreed- all the guitarists did a wonderful job on the record, though Adrian and Andy played most of the solos (Dave was said to have done only a few minor bits of lead). I never knew Andy Barnett and was a bit miffed at the time that Adrian didn't hog the spotlight for himself, but listening to it, they both did a great job. Now that I can hear them in Urchin, it's clear they had a great chemistry- one that rivalled the Murray-Smith duo. So, I urge you to spend lots of money and buy these CDs: both Urchin CDs and the Bucket & Co. CD! Ha!

I currently have High Roller and should be getting Get Up & Get Out any day now. There is some overlap (sort of). The Evil Ways-Urchin website is fantastic, as you noted. The songs can be previewed on YouTube. A great YouTube user, Hackney22757, posted almost all of the songs on those CDs. It's all basic rock-n-roll, but some songs are long and complex ("Countdown" and "My Lady," come to mind). Most of the songs feature a solo each from Adrian and Andy, which is nice. For ultimate fans, these are must-have CDs. I've been looking for Urchin stuff since 1987, when I made the rounds of street markets throughout London! Glad this music is out on CD now; well worth the wait.

So I understand there is some overlap but both releases are worth to get. Well, I should go for it, then. :)
(very limited numbers though)

Bought the Primal Rock Rebellion album today. Call me crazy, but I didn't take the time to listen to it yet. Tomorrow in my car!

Back