A World History timeline according to Maiden

A

Anonymous

Tell me if I missed something in your opinion.

ca.1 000 000- 20 000 BC
Palaeolithic Age [Quest For Fire]

3032-525 BC
Pharaonic Empire [Powerslave]1

356-323 BC
Life and reign of Alexander the Great [Alexander The Great]2

15.3.44 BC
Murder of Julius Caesar [The Ides Of March]3

Begin of Viking Age with raid of Lindisfarne [Invasion, Invaders]4

1167-1227
Life and reign of Genghis Khan [Genghis Khan]5

Begin of Medieval Inquisition [Sign Of The Cross]

Siege of Montségur [Montségur]

1296-1357
Wars of Scottish Independence [The Clansman]6

1503-1566
Life of Nostradamus [Die With Your Boots On]7

First known execution with an iron maiden [passim]

1584–1645
Life of Miyamoto Musashi [Sun And Steel]8

1853-1856
Crimean War [The Trooper]9

1870-1890
Peak of Indian Wars (Little Bighorn, 1876; Wounded Knee, 1890) [Run To The Hills]10

1914-1918
First World War [The Aftermath, Paschendale]11

Third Battle Of Ypres [Paschendale]

1939-1945
Second World War [Aces High, Where Eagles Dare, Tail Gunner, Run Silent Run Deep, The Longest Day, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns]12

1940-1941
Battle Of Britain [Aces High]

1942-1945
Strategic Bombing over Germany and Japan [Tail Gunner]13

Allied landing in Normandy (D-Day) [The Longest Day]

First test of a nuclear weapon, dubbed Trinity Test [Brighter Than A Thousand Suns]

Atomic Bomb over Hiroshima [Tail Gunner]

1946-1990
Cold War [2 Minutes To Midnight, Mother Russia]14

1966-1973
US Engagement in the Vietnam War [The Edge Of Darkness]15

Falkland War [Como Estais Amigos]16

Mikhail Gorbachev introduces Perestroika policy [Mother Russia]17

1990/91
Second Gulf War [Afraid To Shoot Strangers]18

2.10.1985/24.11.1991
AIDS epidemic gains worldwide recognition by the deaths of Rock Hudson and Freddie Mercury [Fear Is The Key]19

Yugoslavia splits up; begin of Balkan Wars [Blood On The World's Hands]20

Terrorist strikes on United States of America [Face In The Sand]21

---
Footnotes
GENERAL: For confirmation/reference, see The Iron Maiden Commentary.

1 See also: Powerslave album cover, loose reference to Abu Simbel; mention of "Nile" in Revelations (direct reference disproved, but impossible w/o Pharaonic empire); it is also arguable whether the Pharaonic Empire ended in 525 BC, considering the Persian Kings held the title of the Pharaoh (27/31. dynasty), and the period of independence from Persia 402-343 BC; also, Alexander the Great assumed the title of Pharaoh, and Egypt was an independent (Greek-dominated) empire until 31 BC; However, the classic entity of the Pharaonic Empire ended with Persian conquest in 525 BC.
2 Reign: 336-323 BC.
3 Instrumental, no explicit reference to Julius Caesar, but the title of the song can be regarded as a reference to his death due to the fame of the date.
4 The songs explicitly refer to Viking "invasions", which, in the sense of the word, did not happen in Britain until the late first half of the 9th century (explicit mention of the Saxons makes British tie obvious); the songs may also be a reference to the battle of Hastings (1066), but this is dubious; it is more likely about unspecified Viking invasions; taking this into consideration, it still seems fair to name the raid of Lindisfarne, as the songs are simply about the Viking Age itself instead of a direct historical event.
5 Reign: 1175-1227; 1175-1206 (as Temujin), 1206-1227 (as Ghakhan (Great Khan) with throne name Genghis). Also, this song is an instrumental.
6 See also: Image of Eddie as Scottish Clansman. Song more likely inspired by the film [a URL=http://imdb.com/title/tt0112573/]Braveheart[/URL] (1995), itself inspired byThe Actes and Deidis of the Illustre and Vallyeant Campioun Schir William Wallace (a.k.a. The Wallace or Blind Harry's Wallace) by Blind Harry (or rather by William Hamilton's adaption of 1859).
7 No explicit mention, however the line 13 the beast is rising, the Frenchman did summise is interpreted to be about Nostradamus.
8 Could also be about the Samurai in general.
9 Actually about the Battle of Batlaclava (see also the sleeve of the single, and the Thin Lizzy song Massacre covered by Maiden for a B-Side to Can I Play With Madness) of this very war.
10 No explicit mention of the historical context, but the described setting (e.g. soldier blue) gives obvious implications.
11 Again, only implications in The Aftermath, but the context is obvious (e.g. mustard gas, which was not used in any other war).
12 Not explicit (but likely) in the case of Run Silent Run Deep; Where Eagles Dare actually based on a film based on a book.
13 Japan not explicitly mentioned, only with reference to Enola Gay (also in next date, Hiroshima bombing).
14 Two Minutes To Midnight is actually about the "Hot Wars" during the Cold War (i.e. Korea, Vietnam, Angola etc) and those of the era not directly related to the Cold War (e.g. First Gulf War [=Iran-Iraq War]). See also Sleeve of the "Two Minutes..." single.
15 Actually based on the film Apocalypse Now.
16 No direct mention but official confirmation of the song's topic.
17 Arguable but obvious considering the political context of the time.
18 No explicit mention, but obvious considering the historical context (plus official confirmation).
19 Official confirmation, no obvious mention.
20 Arguable, but strong hints considering the political/historical context.
21 Might as well be about the Third Gulf War (a.k.a. "Iraq War").

Nice job! Interesting to read. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

One comment only.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Wasn't this about the 1st Gulf War (the 2nd was a few years back)?

The First Gulf War was fought between 1980 and 1988, and it is more commonly known as the Iran-Iraq War.
The Second Gulf War is the war that followed Iraqs invasion of Kuwait.
Of course, I was being picky there [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Added life and death of Nostradamus to the list. If Hiroshima gets coverage even though it is mentioned only in one line, then Nostradamus should too.

Very well done man! That's basically a list of my favourite Maiden songs!

One comment, though: I would put Mother Russia in the date range of 1990-2000. It's clearly about Russia AFTER the commie regime fell, not during the Cold War.

The key hint is the last line: "Can you be happy now your people are free"
They certainly weren't free under the Communist Regime. (Though LC would argue they're not free now, either.)
From the first stanza we have "the old man ponders, reminiscing an age gone by" - this seems to be an image of an old die-hard party member wanting a return to power. Alternatively, it's an average Russian who has suddenly found himself without a pension and with no work, as many in Russia do today. (If you've seen 'Goodbye Lenin', picture the old man who keeps mumbling about "did we work 40 years for this?" in German)
Essentially, it's all about Ostalgie....the old man wants to go BACK to the Soviet era.

This implies it's a post-1990 song, to me.

Well... I took that into consideration, but the song was released in 1990, so I thought the band would not be necessarily writing a song about the future.
Aside from that, I was vague enough only to mention Gorbachev and his perestroika in 1985, which represents the starting point of a historical process which lives on until today.

You let little details like not being able to see into the future effect your judgement! BAH!

hehe...my bad, dude....carry on! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Very nice. Some ommisions though.

14/8/1515 Iron Maiden first used as execution device on a coin forger in Nuremberg, Germany

Can't think of any more right now. If I remember any more, I'll edit/add more.
(P.S. Yes, I am taking the piss slightly)

[!--QuoteBegin-Silky+Jan 11 2006, 10:32 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Jan 11 2006, 10:32 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Very nice.  Some ommisions though.

14/8/1515 Iron Maiden first used as execution device on a coin forger in Nuremberg, Germany

Can't think of any more right now.  If I remember any more, I'll edit/add more.
(P.S. Yes, I am taking the piss slightly)
[snapback]126805[/snapback]​
[/quote]

The Iron Maiden of Nuremberg was actually never used.

BTW, added The Balkan Wars to the timeline.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Jan 11 2006, 08:51 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Jan 11 2006, 08:51 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Iron Maiden of Nuremberg was actually never used.

[snapback]126809[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Really? What source did you get that from? I thought wikipedia was infallible [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Silky+Jan 12 2006, 07:57 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Jan 12 2006, 07:57 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Really?  What source did you get that from?  I thought wikipedia was infallible  [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]126841[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Are you serious? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Jan 12 2006, 08:23 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Jan 12 2006, 08:23 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]'The Evil that Men do' is loosely connected to Julius Caesar because of the title even though it's not totally certain what Mark Antony really said and what Shakespeare made up.
[snapback]126847[/snapback]​
[/quote]

'The Evil That Men Do' is connected to the play, certainly not to the historic event.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Jan 12 2006, 08:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Jan 12 2006, 08:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
'The Evil That Men Do' is connected to the play, certainly not to the historic event.
[snapback]126857[/snapback]​
[/quote]

It's not even that connected to the play-it's just a single line. Like the way Murders in the Rue Morgue is named after the short story, but doesn't have that much in common with Edgar Allan Poe's work.

In that case, should 'The Ides of March' be there, because apart from the title, the track has absolutely nothing to do with Julius Caesar, nor 'Genghis Khan' with Genghis Khan? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-national acrobat+Jan 13 2006, 03:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Jan 13 2006, 03:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]In that case, should 'The Ides of March' be there, because apart from the title, the track has absolutely nothing to do with Julius Caesar, nor 'Genghis Khan' with Genghis Khan? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]126903[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Well, I don't know about the Ides of March (it was untitled when first written), but I'm fairly sure I heard something regarding the fact that Genghis Khan had been written to give the impression of Genghis' forces riding across the plains towards an opposing army. So, since it was TECHNICALLY written about Genghis Khan, it has a right to be there.

[!--QuoteBegin-Silky+Jan 13 2006, 04:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Silky @ Jan 13 2006, 04:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Well, I don't know about the Ides of March (it was untitled when first written), but I'm fairly sure I heard something regarding the fact that Genghis Khan had been written to give the impression of Genghis' forces riding across the plains towards an opposing army.  So, since it was TECHNICALLY written about Genghis Khan, it has a right to be there.
[snapback]126904[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I heard that Genghis Khan had a working title of 'Jenkin's Barn' and that the name 'Genghis Khan' was picked once it was finished. [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Jan 13 2006, 04:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Jan 13 2006, 04:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think 'Jenkin's Barn' came from the title 'Genghis Khan'.  Perhaps it was only a joke name but I saw that information on the "trivia" on maidenfans and we all know how reliable that is [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]126919[/snapback]​
[/quote]

YEAH! Go trivia! [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Actually, now that you mention it, I now remember what Steve said. It must have been he said he CHOSE the name Genghis Khan because that's what the song reminded him of. Still don't know if we can really include those two.

In fact, now that I think about it, isn't Quest for Fire a historical anachronism, what with dinosaurs and cavemen? Can we really include it as true history?

[!--QuoteBegin-Bunkle+Jan 13 2006, 06:39 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Bunkle @ Jan 13 2006, 06:39 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If you want it strictly, History is that what has occured in the time of writings, pre- means before so I guess you can see the difference. Prehistory is the time before people could write, History is the time that we can/could write. But the History and the PRE-History part should make it clear already.
[snapback]126927[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Umm, no. I wasn't referring to the timescale, I was referring to the fact that the song is based on film that has cavemen fighting dinosaurs. That never would have happened, as dinosaurs died out 63million years before the first species of man appeared. So technically Quest for Fire isn't about the Paeleolithic age, since its a historical anachronism. Isn't it? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Jan 13 2006, 08:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Jan 13 2006, 08:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Actually I think the film has no dinosaurs at all in it [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--] It was just a cock up by 'Arry but we exaggerate it so much anyway.
[snapback]126939[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Ah right my bad then. Although, it depends whether we're truly basing this history on the maiden songs alone, or their references. Dinosaurs....he must have pulled that one out of his ass [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] . Yeh, just checked the IMC and wiki, there's no dinsoaurs in the film/book. Sorry. [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Great post Perun!! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

You forgot Run Silent Run Deep, it could go in the second world war era. You could add Revelation to the Pharaonic Empire era.

Then, there's No More Lies that was written about the last supper/diner/meal/whatever. I think I read that in the commentary forum but I'm not sure.

And finally, I think you could add Total Eclipse to a southern america era of some sort. That song always remembered me of those cultures where if there was going to be an eclipse, the world would end. But I think I'm the only one around here thinking that [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Forgive me if this doesn't make any senses as I'm very tired right now and I'm going to go to bed now. ZZZzzzZZZzzz

[!--QuoteBegin-Battlemaniacs+Jan 17 2006, 07:53 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Battlemaniacs @ Jan 17 2006, 07:53 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Great post Perun!! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

You forgot Run Silent Run Deep, it could go in the second world war era. You could add Revelation to the Pharaonic Empire era.

Then, there's No More Lies that was written about the last supper/diner/meal/whatever. I think I read that in the commentary forum but I'm not sure.

And finally, I think you could add Total Eclipse to a southern america era of some sort. That song always remembered me of those cultures where if there was going to be an eclipse, the world would end. But I think I'm the only one around here thinking that [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Forgive me if this doesn't make any senses as I'm very tired right now and I'm going to go to bed now. ZZZzzzZZZzzz
[snapback]127152[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Right, I forgot to add Run Silent Run Deep.

As for the others, it's a matter of interpretation. Revelations is not tied to the Pharaonic Empire- it's all explained in the Commentary. The Last Supper is not a historical event. It may or may not have happened, but there is no evidence to prove either. As for Total Eclipse- yes, it could be about South America. It could also be about the Great Migration, about the Mongol Hordes, about the conquests of Mahmud of Ghazni- about any great cultural shift and conquest. I decided to keep with historical facts undoubtedly pointed to by Maiden (as such, I now also included the iron maiden itself; thanks anyway, Silky).
Good thinking, though. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back